“Best place to stay during a typhoon day..” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #12 of 529 Nantou B&B and Inns
Malaysia
“Best place to stay during a typhoon day..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

First of all, don't get me wrong about this hotel. It's not only a nice place to stay during typhoon, but other days too. I just want to emphasize that it was not in good weather (the day when Typhoon Tempin hit Taiwan again) when I was there, but we still have great time at this place.

I’ve stayed in Vienna Pleasant Cottage during my visit to Cingjing. This year, I want to try other minus/ hotel to have different experience. My family and I went to Cingjing on 28 August 2012. This was the day Typhoon Tempin hit Taiwan again. Nobody would have expected this to happen as all of us thought that it had gone southwest and away from Taiwan. Regardless of the weather, we still continue our journey to Cingjing from Sun Moon Lake. However, we knew that there’s nothing we can do outdoor as it was a raining all day. The following is my review for Dream Forest Villa, the best part of it is the facilities, do check it out and you'll know why I said it's the best stay.

This hotel consists of 4 blocks of building, namely (literally) City of Dream (夢幻之城), City of Starry Sky (星空之城), City of Hope (希望之城) and City of Moonlight (月光之城). The hotel reception counter as well as the dining area are in the building of City of Dream.
Location: This hotel is located besides 雲舞楼and 歐鄉美邸. Though this hotel is not located beside the main road but it’s still within walking distance to the Cingjing Visitor’s Centre (10 mins by main road). There’s a short cut connecting the hotel with the Cingjing Visitor’s Centre (around 5 mins walk), so it’s very convenient. However, it is advised to take this short cut only during day time because you’ll pass by some bushes and there’s no street light along the road. During day time, there’re some cars or vans using this route especially the Dream Forest Villa and the other 2 minsu I mentioned above.

Room and Price: My family and I (5 adults) are staying in the夢幻溫馨居家套房 in the building of City of Dream. It costs us TWD 3360 + NTD 600 (additional bed). The room is located on the 1st floor. All the room in this building can be accessed by elevator. The room is spacious with a 2-seated sofa, TV, writing table and big wooden wardrobe in it. However, the wardrobe is smelly due to long exposure of high moisture content air. Electric kettle, 5 bottles of mineral water, tea bag and coffee are provided in the room. Besides, there’s a water dispenser just few steps from the room door. The room is clean but not for certain spots like wall corner, spots behind the table and sofa are still dusty. The bathroom is furnished in vintage style and it’s clean. Our room has huge glass window, however, it is facing the hill which block everything and no scenic view from this room. Furthermore, since this room is at the back side of this building, so if you look out and down from the window, you can see trash dumping place from your room. No smell, but if you wish to have scenic view from your room, then you’ll need to book other room in this hotel. In fact, there are some other rooms in the same and other buildings have great view from the rooms. Check it with the staff when you do reservation.

Food: Breakfast was included in the room rate. Because we went during the summer holiday, so package with dinner were not offered. However, the hotel has a restaurant where you can have hi-tea and dinner (steamboat and set meal) and the price is reasonable for Cingjing standard. Wide variety of food provided for breakfast (porridge with few dishes, noodles, salads, bread and bun with few types of jam and butter, fruit juices, coffee, tea, milk and fruit). Toaster was provided for you to toast your own bread or bun.

Facilities: This hotel has an elevator in their main building (City of Dream) where some hotel rooms, restaurant, games and sports room as well as the computer room (with internet connection) situated. For elders who hardly take the stairs, then you can consider getting a room in the main building. All the facilities like games and sports room as well as the computer room is free to use by the hotel guests. Since we have plenty of time on the day we arrived due to the raining weather, we explored the games and sports room and found that it’s actually a game room with WII and a high technology game like WII but the difference is that this device sense motion, so you don’t need to hold anything during the game. The reason why they said it was a game and sports room was because almost all the game you play with these 2 devices are sports like archery, table tennis, tennis, dart, baseball, etc. This was how we spent our spare time that day. We played for the whole evening and continue playing at night with my parent-in-law joining us. We had so much laughter and fun together. Imagine 2 almost 60 years old parent playing this with their kids (around 20-30 years old).

Payment and Service: I contacted the hotel through email for some inquiries and they replied promptly. For reservation, guests are required to make payment for the deposit. I did it by using a credit card transaction and had no problem with it. The balance of the room rate was cleared upon arrival. The staffs of this hotel are friendly and helpful. On the second day of our stay, the weather is sunny and we were able to visit Green Green Grassland and Little Swiss Garden. But we couldn’t make it to take the 8:20 am Nantou bus, so the second choice we have was to wait till 10am as Dream Forest Villa send their guests to Green Green Grassland twice daily (10am and 2:30pm) for free.

As a conclusion, I was glad that I have chosen Dream Forest Villa because I was a little worried about the weather here and thought of the game and sports room would be a great place to spare our time together when I do room booking. Indeed, this was a wise choice for us.

Room Tip: Rooms in the City of Dream building can be accessed by elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed in this minsu for one night in Cingjing.
Wanted to stay in a different minsu and yet within walking distance to the visitor center and little Swiss garden. (we stayed in Misty villa before)
This property consists of 4buildings with different configuration of rooms housed in each building.
We chose the building with the best views, roughly translated from chinese,Star castle.
My emails to the minsu were answered promptly and I must have sent over ten emails to them prior to booking!
I initially wanted to book the family room for the three of us with a double bed downstairs and a canopied double bed in the loft bedroom upstairs but they only had two of those in that building and both were fully booked on the date I wanted.
I then proceeded to book the double bedded room in the same building on the booking page of their website with an additional rollaway which I will then pay NT600 in cash upon checkin.
A few days prior to our arrival in Taiwan, the minsu emailed me to say that someone cancelled and offered me the loft style family room I initially wanted instead of the double room with an additional top up of NT1140.
This minsu does not arrange for drivers to pick you up from Taichung.You need to arrange your own transport to fetch you to and from the minsu.
The minsu offers a trolley tour starting at 4am in winter and 4.30am in summer going up to Hehuanshan for star gazing followed by the sunrise.
We were too tired from the last few days on the road and didn't take the tour but I've met the trolley bus driver/tour guide and seen his photographs and the views are indeed breathtaking.
This property is one of the newer one in Cingjing,opened in 2004.
Room given is quite clean but you can see some wear and tear and in some parts behind the TV and heavy furniture, a lot of dust and debris. The maid probably didn't bother to drag these furniture out to dust behind them.
I don't really like the bathroom though, there is a smell of stagnant water in the bathroom and a lot of mould on the grouting between the tiles.
Either the dehumidifier in the bathroom didn't work or there is simply too much moisture for it to cope properly.
But the toilet bowl and floor at least is clean.
There is a shower over the bathtub and no partition or shower curtain provided so when you take a shower, the whole bathroom floor gets wet and slippery, not very safe for the elderly.
The minsu provided hair shampoo, shower gel, toothbrushes.
Four bottles of distilled water were also provided in the room plus coffee and tea satchels.
The view from the balcony is unblocked and on a clear day, you can see the mountains in front of you.
Really nice and relaxing to wake up in the morning with this glorious view.
Like most minsus in Cingjing, there is no heating in the room, only electric blankets and we found that enough during our stay when temperature plummeted to 3 degrees during the night.
Breakfasts provided were more than adequate with the traditional Taiwanese porridge and the usual condiments, stir fried vegetables and noodles, pan fried carrot cakes plus toasts,butter and jam.
They also have coffee,tea, milk tea and soya milk.
One thing I find commendable about this minsu is their friendly staff, one male staff in particular was really helpful, he offered to wash my clothes in their washing machine when I mentioned that I didn't pack enough clothes for the 6days road trip,having left most of my stuff in Taipei. They didn't have a dryer though so I decided not to wash my clothes there as it will not dry in time.
The staff also carried my heavy suitcase to my room in the next building upon checkin.
The rates included breakfasts only but this minsu does have a restaurant on site that operates till 8pm at night.
You can order set meals or hotpot dinner and eat at the minsu itself if the weather is bad and you don't want to walk out to the visitor center area for dinner.
Had a look at the menu and the prices seem reasonable at about NT300-NT350 per set meal.
We chose to walk to the visitor center because we wanted to look at the shops and was shown the shortcut out.
Had to bring a flashlight because it was dark at 5pm in winter and some parts of the lane had tall bushes along either side of it. My daughter was afraid that something would spring out of the bushes at her.
The walk takes about 10-15mins but I wouldn't walk that route alone in the dark because is quite dark and eerie at night and some parts of the path are uneven and you need to be careful that you don't step into the puddles and get your shoes wet and muddy.
I would give four stars to the property if they pay more attention to the upkeep of the property, dusting behind the furniture and perhaps removing the mould from the grouting in the bathroom etc.
It's a nice property and the buildings are beautiful lit up at night.
Service is also good and breakfast delicious.
I may consider a return stay provided that don't let it deteriorate further on the cleaniless aspect.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dream Forest Villa Cingjing Fantasy Building? Share your experiences!