“One Good reason to leave, Ten Good reasons to stay!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tangalle
Mumbai
“One Good reason to leave, Ten Good reasons to stay!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We had planned a three day stay but were so enthralled by the place, the environs, the staff and the constant pampering that we ended up staying for five days!!!.

We stayed at Hinchi Mama House (Room No.10). All the rooms have fantastic unhindered views of the lagoon and all twelve rooms have an almost identical setup with a large bedroom suite, an amazing bathroom with open roofed shower area and bathtub and a beautiful sit-out.

The Suites are at a lower level and offer better privacy whereas the other rooms are at a higher level and offer more open views. We personally loved the upper level rooms.

The things we loved about the place :
- The room are immaculately kept and are very airy with large french windows which give an amazing sense of openness.
- The innumerable sit outs which offer guests the seclusion, quietude and privacy seldom seen. (Our favorite was the one by the pool and the hammocks besides the dining hall).
- The dining was exquisite. The chef and the entire kitchen staff did a fantastic job and dished out works of art for every meal.
- The ambience is truly magical. There is an amazing sense of peace and quiet.
- There are in house canoes and bicycles.
- The Turtle nesting Beach is just a few meters away (Rekawa Beach).
- The beach, although not safe for swimming, is quite a pleasant stretch and you will more often than not have the entire place to yourself.
TIP - For swimming the hotel staff recommend a small rock pool situated on the left far end of the beach facing the sea.
- Most impressive for us was the impeccable service of the entire staff. Special mention for Kalpa and Jaleel, the managers who did such a fantastic job. We were spoilt rotten by their incessant pampering!!. The best part of the service was that the staff was very un-intrusive, giving you completely privacy, walking away when they saw guests appearing unless called for, staying away from the lawns in front of the rooms.

We could go on with praise but highly recommend you try this place for yourself!!.

Nick, we would like to thank you for creating such a fantastic place and for giving us such fond memories!!.

TIP - Plan to stay for an extended period!!!

Room Tip: The Suites are at a lower level and offer better privacy whereas the other rooms are at a higher lev...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
I’m so thrilled to know you found plenty of reasons to stay and because of it you decided to stay longer than first planned! I’m thrilled too because you’ve left the hotel with fond memories and consequently, recommend it highly to fellow travelers.

Your review is a joy to read and the enticing photos are a timely reminder for me during an unavoidable absence. Thank you very much for taking the time to write so enthusiastically, I only wish I could have met you personally.

You’ve been exceptionally kind to me whilst complimenting the layouts and overall quality of yours and the other accommodation at the hotel. However to me, your kind appreciation both for the peaceful sanctuary you found and the people doing their best to keep it that way is what reassures me most. It’s terrific to know we haven’t lost focus on what I still believe matters most to our guests.

You’ve highly commended two very hard working individuals, both of whom operate the hotel tirelessly and seamlessly in my absence, taking full responsibility for hospitality and the wellbeing of each guest. They too will be thrilled by your kind words so, on their behalf and on behalf of the entire Team I express our genuine thanks for your valued custom and, this wonderfully supportive review.

Please return but.... please plan for an extended stay!

Warmest regards, Nick and the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Five days at Buckingham Place weren't enough, even though the days were long and relaxing. We had a room (#5) instead of a suite -- PLENTY big enough, comfortable, beautiful, nice cold air conditioning,enormous bathroom, two seating areas, a sweet little deck. The grounds were just gorgeous, and we enjoyed relaxing in the pool every afternoon. Breakfasts were just amazing, don't neglect to request the traditional Sri Lankan breakfast feast the night before, you won't believe how great the food is, and how much there is of it. The coffee is rich and dark, the juices are fresh and delicious.

Rekawa Beach, a tiny little walk outside the gate, may be the most beautiful beach we've ever seen. The walk to the lagoon is also beautiful. We took a canoe out on the lagoon one morning, we rode the bicycles a couple of times, we walked along the beach every day.

As beautiful as the amenities are, as good as the breakfast is, as gorgeous as the place is, it was the service that made the place shine a little brighter. The staff were uniformly warm and welcoming, and eager to take care of us. After dinner, walking back to our room, a staff member with a flashlight appeared just ahead of us to light the way and then slipped away when we had arrived safely. Our needs were anticipated and met, and always with gentle smiles. I will remember the staff with such great warmth.

We were sorry not to get the chance to meet Nick due to his absence, but the well-trained staff carried on very well on his behalf. We had some trouble with the wifi in our room and immediately upon mentioning this, several men were sent to rectify the problem. When it continued, other efforts were made including giving us a little USB device for our computer. We were impressed by the genuine efforts made to ensure that we had a wonderful stay.

We add Buckingham Place to our top favorite places in the world, and hope we are lucky enough to return some day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Your poignant review “So sad to leave, can’t wait to go back” could not reflect my own sentiments more precisely. Whilst temporarily away for medical reasons and missing the place madly, naturally its heartening to read that everything is as it should be and as I left it, better even, as the team appears to be excel in my absence! Your lovely comment “five days at Buckingham Place weren't enough” I believe pays a wonderful tribute to the genuine welcome the Team extends to all guests plus, its collective professional integrity and robust dedication.

I’m really happy to know that you enjoyed your breakfasts, many thanks for your kind praise and posting the pictures, I’m thrilled too to read that Rekawa’s beach is possibly the best you have seen – I must agree. That said, most of all I’m humbled to learn you’ve added Buckingham Place to your list of top favorite places in the world and, hope that we're lucky enough to welcome your return one day.

Thank you very much for your valued custom, your supportive review and for choosing the hotel in the first place!

Please do return, a warm welcome awaits you.

Best wishes and sincere thanks, Nick & the Team.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed in August 2013 and had the most wonderful time. Nick is an excellent host and all the staff are absolutely fantastic. The setting is like a secret garden and is something of true beauty. We could have stayed for weeks just lazing by the pool, walking on the beach and watching the wildlife (fantastic monitor lizard drinking from the pool). The suite we had was perfect. Overall it was a pleasure to be allowed to stay in such a stunning place and a privilege to have met the people that work there. One day we will be back.

Room Tip: The suite with the tree in the bathroom is great fun.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Perhaps not unsurprisingly, I’m in awe of the fact the hotel I’ve built, has captured the imagination of so many guests and visitors. Most probably, anyone in my position would feel exactly the same. For the hotel, its team and for me personally to be showered with praise such as you've written, is nothing less than overwhelming. In replying on behalf of us all I can only think to say at this moment, that it’s us who are privileged, by your choice of hotel and your remarkable choice of words for it.

You humble us wonderfully, thank you very much indeed - a warm welcome awaits your return.

Our warmest regards and sincere thanks, Nick & the Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked two nights in Buckingham Place but ended staying for 6 because we fell in love with the place.

The rooms are lovely, modern and spacious and the grounds are beautiful. In the evenings the paths and trees are lit up creating a beautiful atmosphere.
The food is delicious, the chef is certainly very good. Should they ever consider doing cookery courses at Buckingham place and we were staying there we would certainly book on to it. We enjoyed a brilliant breakfast every morning and food and drink throughout the day.
Just outside of the gates there is a 2 min track to the beach. Unfortunately you can't swim in the sea because of the waves and the current but there is a lagoon and a big rock pool nearby not to mention the pool at Buckingham. The beach itself is gorgeous. A long stretch of golden sand with a stunning sunset.
You can borrow kayaks and bikes to explore the area and meet the locals who are all really friendly. Speaking of friendly the staff are exceptional. Jaleel and the team are really nice friendly people who work very hard to make your stay enjoyable and relaxing.

Absolute 5 star experience!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
An absolute 5 Star Review – thank you very much...

That instead of staying 2 nights as planned you stayed on for 6, is a huge compliment in itself and, as much as any traveler might know before choosing the hotel for themselves. As far as I’m concerned, I need read nothing more than your review to aid my recovery from surgery (you may have heard), far from the shores of Sri Lanka!

Your positive - indeed passionate support for the hotel, adds yet another vote of confidence for what the hotel stands for and in so doing, it contributes towards the overall sustainability of some 40, full time permanent jobs in an under privileged community. I’m especially proud to read your praise for the exceptional friendliness of the hardworking team and its manager, just as they will be I’m sure. Also, you’ve praised every aspect of the hotel while providing a timely reminder about swimming safety – thank you for this. Too, you’ve helped reinforce my view, we should offer cookery classes. You may be interested to know that after moving into a larger restaurant and kitchen and, when we’ve broadened our skill-set further, we hope to do something along the lines you suggest – of course we’ll bombard former guests with the news - before telling another soul!

Thank you for your valued custom and kind words for Buckingham Place and its Team, please return again soon.

Sincere thanks and best wishes, Nick & the Team
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've clicked five stars for this resort, and honestly, it deserves it, but there are a few things that need attention.
We travelled from Dubai and then got an air taxi to the local airport and were picked up by the resort minibus. The journey was great with lots to see.
Our room was fantastic and the food was exceptionally delicious but,- the beer was expensive for such a cheap country.
Cute point for us was that Marmite was available for toast in the morning and also ketchup and proper HP Brown sauce!
The service was second-to-none in the restaurant and full credit owed to the staff. Room-service was very efficient apart from the delay in collecting the used tea-tray, which attracted ants. We didn't like being charged for the drinks though when there is no facility for making your own in the room.
Maybe, Mr Nick should consider afternoon tea delivered to each room or at the pool at four with a little cake, maybe?
The only real downer was the pathway to the beach and the road to the village. It let the resort down badly, even though it was great when you got there. The main road to the junction was long and very pitted but work was underway whilst we were there and if you're thinking of going now it will be much better.
This nitpicking aside, Buckingham Place is definitely somewhere we would recommend for honeymooners or couples looking for a very quiet romantic retreat, and it is somewhere we would book again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: We had a suite looking directly on to the lagoon. It was the most private location with an excellen...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your supportive review, I read it purely as constructive rather than nit-picking! Above all, many thanks for choosing Buckingham Place and then ‘clicking’ on five stars.

As you’ll appreciate, it’s impossible to satisfy every guest all of the time but, I personally believe we should try and if we haven’t or if we can’t because of policy or circumstance, we should at least explain why and apologise when appropriate.

With respect to your observations; I tend to look more towards beer and spirits than imported wine to achieve the necessary ‘mark up’ on bar products. Originally the suggestion of a former guest our answer to high import costs, tariffs and levies on wine (and foreign liquor) enables us to serve a decent bottle of wine at a reasonable price and thus generally, we satisfy hotel diners irrespective of the country they hail from or the exchange rate we are judged by. All the same, we currently serve a cool and pleasant local beer in a chilled glass at our restaurant, suites or in the garden for (circa) GB1.75 (325ml).

The delay in collecting your used tea-tray is a ‘no excuse’ mistake and a training issue for me - already in hand I believe. I apologise unreservedly for your inconvenience and add; one of many reasons for not providing brew facilities in accommodation is to avoid encouraging ants, normally we are considerably more attentive in this regard. Also, the team might not have made clear, all tea/coffee served before and during breakfast is included in overnight rates - in other words, top-ups are completely free. If we overcharged can you please email and tell us? We'll put it right, thank you. Invariably too, cool soft drinks/coconuts are served without request or charge to guests relaxing on sun loungers, in part to ensure they don’t dehydrate. Sadly I was absent during your stay so unable to comment further, other than to say sorry if communication was lacking on our part.

To answer your final point; I fully agree, the public road and public track to the beach are pretty awful, especially after rain. Regrettably we’re not allowed to take repairs into our own hands but, thankfully progress is being made in this regard. Things can move slowly in rural Sri Lanka, a new village road was muted 12 years ago! Sorry about the road and track.

To conclude on a light note; I hope your surprise at finding proper ketchup and the correct brown sauce on your breakfast table will in part, count towards an enduring memory of your stay with us. Honestly, we try to get everything right for everyone simply because that’s our job and we like to see our guests more than once.

Please do return and if I have myself returned by then please remind me of your previous stay, I’ll happily stand you a beer!

Best wishes and thanks once again, Nick & the Team
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

After seeing all the amazing reviews, we didnt look much further and booked! Short flight from Dubai and we were picked up from the airport and 1hr later, arrived at Buckingham Place! This place is a lush haven with such attentive staff, who dont smother you and they add the simplest touches to your stay to make it that much more special! There were other couples staying but we only really saw them at dinner and that was fine with us. Nice selection of activities, great peeps of wildlife and brilliant weather - topped off with a thunderstorm on our last day! Also the food is amazing!! Each meal we were so pleased with the plates presented to us and also enjoyed the cava and many lion beers! We want to go back to Sri Lanka already and fear that no other place will live up to this! Thanks for a great, relaxing vacation and if you ever need extra staff (to groom Ginger or clean the pool) - Lee and I are your people!!! ;)

Room Tip: Dont fuss too much if a suite is not available as the rooms are large and more than what you would n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for adding your amazing review to many others.... thanks too for your kind offer to join the staff team!

As you may know I’m unavoidably absent from Sri Lanka at present so, it’s really great to know the team is every bit as capable and hospitable as usual and, most importantly, our guests are just as happy. I've been away from the hotel many times, knowing each time I leave it in safe and commited hands. Nonetheless, when former guests commend the team as you've done it naturally adds to the confidence I place in them and their future security.

For me to read “Nothing compares...” and that you “fear that no other place will live up to this!” is tremendous praise frankly, I know the team will be equally thrilled and proud to know of your high regard for what they do.

From me and on behalf of the Buckingham Place Team, sincere thanks for; choosing the hotel, your good custom and, your much valued support.

Please return soon.

Best wishes, Nick.
Charlottenlund, Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Arriving to the hotel there's a lot of people waiting to welcome you. They'll help with your luggage, give you a flower necklace, ask you if you've got any allergies and so on. The welcome was really extraordinary service and during the days you'll spend there it WONT degrade in the service. All of the people are really smiling, friendly, helpful and they really do their best to help you in any way! You can sometimes feel a bit of language barrier but if it gets too difficult there's always the manager or similar to help with translation.
The rooms are well equipped with AC and some of them have TV. But you are really here because of the surroundings, nature and relaxing and this spot is absolutely perfect for that. The garden is well kept, the horse wandering around is a funny addition and again there is absolutely nothing to point out as being bad. Perhaps the pool is a bit to small but the hotel can't accomodate many people so I guess it's just fine for this size.
The only small thing to point out is that there is nothing to see in close proximity. The beach is very nice but the waves are too big to go for a swim. The nearest town of bigger size is Tangalle and that's around 20 min by tuk-tuk. But as the prizes are so low you can easily pay for a tuk-tuk just to go to town for some shopping or similar. So for relaxing and enjoying the sun/nature this is absolutely perfect!
The last thing for me to write about is the food at the hotel. This is really an experience as it is VERY good and tastes extraordinary! Every detail counts and that makes every meal a super nice experience. Furthermore the prizes are low and breakfast included. The menu isn't big but they change it every day for a 5 day period and that makes the meals interesting and actually I'm looking forward to seeing the menu each day.
All in all a superb hotel in superb surroundings with superb service! Only minus is the distance to go if you want to do something but as I see it even a ride in a tuk-tuk is an experience and a must!

Room Tip: You can choose with or without TV. I had no TV but I was only in the room to sleep.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for coming to stay in our “bit of paradise”, and for kindly submitting a comprehensive, complimentary review to Trip Advisor.

Currently, as you may know, for medical reasons I’m unable to attend the hotel and so while reading reviews from travellers who have recently been I can’t help but feel myself, a little bit envious! If only I could travel easily, I’d much prefer to convalesce under the sun in the hotel garden than try to do so where I am now! Whilst the Team prepare for high season I respond to your kind review – I've given them more than enough work to do I’m sure.

Whether it was the welcome you felt or the service experienced, or perhaps it was the fun of being on Sri Lanka’s chaotic roads in a tuk-tuk; you’ve clearly enjoyed and made the most of your stay at the hotel. Mostly however, I think you’ve departed the hotel with the essence of what it’s really about – nature. Sometimes almost, I need to be away from it to realise this myself I’ve become so used to being in its midst. Whenever I read of guests enjoying this aspect of Buckingham Place I’m naturally delighted, it was overwhelmingly the natural beauty of the area that enticed me to spend more time in it.

In addition to guests’ good custom, positive reviews are appreciated by all of us. Each contributes significantly towards sustaining the jobs of our 40 member strong team plus, many indirect livelihoods in the village and surrounding areas. On behalf of everyone benefitting from your custom and review - including future guests, thank you for being so generous with your praise, please come again soon.

Our thanks and best wishes, Nick & the Team

Been to Buckingham Place? Share your experiences!