“Wish we could have stay !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tangalle
Paris
“Wish we could have stay !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Unfortunately, we did not planned to stay in BP but I felt that we should testify that the glimpse we had while having a drink there was trully amazing. Although not being a resident there, we have been treated like nowhere else in Sri Lanka. The staff is obliging, courteous, perfectly trained and made us feel special even for couple of drinks. The owner is a real gentleman, a true Lord should I say. Despite our backpacker look, he presented himself and had very gentle words. He is a character, full of charisma and his sole presence makes it all. Of course, the place is trully unique, a real retreat where I wish we could come back one day for a unique moment in a very special place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
I wish you could have stayed longer too!

From time to time, often by chance when lost, weary travellers stumble upon the hotel, much in need of rest, refreshment and.... Wi-Fi! Naturally, whenever we have capacity, we throw open the gates, welcome them in, refresh them then bid them a fond farewell. I’m delighted that we were able to extend the same hospitality extended to resident guests and indeed all visitors, I’m very touched too, that you’ve been kind enough to remember and thank us this way - all reviews are of great value and equally appreciated. Next time you travel to Sri Lanka please stop by again, better still, please come to stay with us but.... please call ahead first, just in case we're full up!

Best wishes and thanks. Nick & the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Our best place in Sri Lanka High standards. Friendliness, design, service spirit.... And all the staff including Nick the boss are charming et delighting people. Here all is going to be done for your. The food deserves the journey. Just enjoy. Personnaly I hope that kind of places will be more developed in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed August 2013
Just in case you meant to review the hotel once only but, a technical glitch occurred, I reply to both of your Trip Advisor submissions with the same words and sentiment. If indeed you submitted both in an extraordinarily valiant effort to support the hotel or, as separate reviews from the two of you then, all of us should be greatly humbled. Whatever you intended, thank you very much for supporting us, we are truly grateful!

Your compliment that ours was the best place in Sri Lanka is as remarkable as it is flattering, as there are now many wonderful hotel properties all over the island. Largely for me however, your kind words focus on the people who make it happen and, your satisfaction based on how we were towards you. I’m very proud to say that the teams’ genuine aim; that you enjoy your stay and leave with fond memories, makes up for any slight shortfall in ‘silver service’ credentials or ‘5 star slick’. I’m so pleased to read your recognition of this with your reference to the teams’ friendliness and service spirit.

On behalf of all of us, please return to our place or as you call it, Buckingham P(a)lace, you’ll always find a warm welcome here.

Warmest regards and sincere thanks, Nick & the Team
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel for couples and honeymooners that want to be away from the world. Great long empty beaches, good food, and excellent service. Large rooms and a funky bathroom. The owner of this hotel makes it a point to personally meets every guest. Only thing missing is a spa.
Highly recommended with good value for money.
J & J

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
On behalf of us all, thank you for choosing Buckingham Place then following up with a super Trip Advisor review. I’m delighted that you liked the hotel and feel comfortable recommending it highly to others. Your custom and support is greatly appreciated and I say emphatically, all of us enjoyed looking after you and would be thrilled to welcome you back.

But... if we are to entice you back we must first build a spa it seems?! Thank you again for succinctly underlining a regular request by former guests, in due course I think we probably will build one, my only concern in a hotel of this size is viability so, if we do take the plunge it will be carefully and modestly.

You kindly compliment us for service, our food, accommodation and the hotels location. You also compliment me for which I thank you personally. Simply, I run the hotel because I enjoy doing so and, enjoy it more so for the people I meet and pass my time with.

From us all I send sincere thanks with warmest regards – please do come again.
Nick & the Team
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I trusted Trip Advisor when booking this spot last fall and we were beyond impressed. The room was spectacular, the food was superb, and our host was brilliant. I would happily recommend Buckingham Place to anyone and we will definitely be back. The beach was stunning and most often we were the only people on it. During breakfast our first day we were entertained by a group of monkeys, we watched fireflies off of our balcony with a glass of red wine at night, and enjoyed every moment in between. Buckingham Place is a true gem!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for what is, a simply fabulous and fabulously simple review...

I could not wish anyone to paint a more helpful, clearer or more flattering picture of the hotel or of us. You clearly liked the hotel, enjoyed your stay and plan to return. What more convincing does a fellow traveller need than to read “beyond impressed” or “we will definitely be back”?

It’s so rewarding to see guests enjoy themselves and, when afterwards they write passionately about the hotel as you have done. Your heartfelt words value everyone’s effort and so this thank you is on behalf of the Buckingham Place team.

Please do return... and soon!

Warmest regards and sincere thanks, Nick.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Welcoming and accommodating from our arrival, this hotel fulfilled and exceeded all it's promise during the four nights we stayed with our teenage children.

Nestled close to real Sri Lankan family homes with wetlands full of wildlife ( amazing birds, wandering land and water monitors!) all around, the hotel overlooks a calm lagoon but is also right by one of the most beautiful beaches we have seen. With bikes lent by the hotel we were in real Sri Lanka in seconds.

The hotel itself is small in scale which gives it the feel of a community. Eleven(?) separate residences each standing separately looking out through big windows over the lagoon offer modern and comfortable accommodation a stone's throw from the main dining/ drinking/ swimming/ socializing central area.

The owner and his staff are friendly, sensitive and incredibly helpful, allowing families, young honeymooners and couples needing peace and quiet somehow to holiday successfully side by side.

The combination of English and Sri Lankan has an excellent impact on so many aspects - the food is an excellent fusion of good and real Sri Lankan with touches of Englishness that work brilliantly ( toast and marmite in the morning, proper coffee), the service is impeccable, local information is easy to access and the resident tuk tuks transported us on a couple of adventures!

The resident pony, and land monitor and other visiting wildlife were also entertaining , as was the owner's newly adopted puppy.

We would have stayed longer and suspect we will in the future. We highly recommend Buckingham Place as somewhere for holiday makers of all kinds to go and relish the hospitatily, relaxation, service and gourmet cuisine Sri Lankan style!

• Stayed July 2013
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you very much for a truly outstanding review, I’m thrilled to read that Buckingham Place was one of the highlights of your tour I can’t imagine the award of a higher accolade.

Your review bestows many compliments upon us and, I assure you that all are highly prized, but three in particular are of special note to me and hopefully to potential guests also. That the hotel “exceeded all its promise” is greatly reassuring, it’s so easy to forget what makes it all work and rest on ones laurels, I’m delighted that we haven’t and are not doing so! “With bikes lent by the hotel we were in real Sri Lanka in seconds” shows that our efforts to connect guests with village life and what the island offers abundantly - its flora and fauna, are really working. I’ve long believed guests should be given every opportunity encouraged even, to enjoy what I do about this country, if so as well as having a great holiday they’ll likely return or at least inspire others to come. That the hotel also projects “the feel of a community” communicates succinctly what I’ve struggled to describe myself many times - thank you!

Finally, I’d like to thank you once again for coming and to let you know I’m over the moon with your review – in more ways than one you’ve ‘ticked all the boxes’ which will surely prove helpful to many, including all of us.

On behalf of the Team I send all of you our warmest regards and sincere thanks.

Please come again!
Nick.
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 childeren, 8 and 10 yrs) had a wonderful stay (1 week) at Buckingham Place! But be aware that the pool is very small and the beach has such rough sea that you can't swim there! You have to walk 10 min to get to a "rockpool" or take a tuk-tuk. Maybe that doesn't sound so good? We didn't find this to be a problem. The hotel itself is very special! It's quiet and peaceful, the staff (and Nick) are super-friendly, the room are big and comfortable, the beds are good, you can have breakfast anytime of the day:) And there is a pony in the garden that is so cute and we miss her the most. Also next door you can go turtle watch - epic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
On behalf of the team thank you very much for coming to stay and for following up with this helpful review. I’m delighted you enjoyed a wonderful week with us – unreservedly I return the compliment!

With regards our modest pool (12 x 4 x 1.2m constant depth), thank you for mentioning its limitations. Though we describe the pool under Swimming on our website ‘Info’ Page, this information could be overlooked. The current pool uses fresh water, a highly valuable commodity in these parts. For this reason and on this elevated part of the property we provide a pool just adequate for a swim and cooling off rather than one which might be extravagant with water. In the fullness of time, near to the beach we will complete construction of a much larger, sea water pool. We can then be as extravagant with water as we wish! Thanks for adding that you didn't find (the pool size/walk to the rock pool) to be a problem, I’m relieved that the overall quality and enjoyment of your stay was unaffected. As for breakfast at any time, this policy perhaps contributes towards making us “different - in a good way!” although it is surprising that more hotels don’t offer the same. I guess we would become bored travellers if every hotel were the same?!

Whilst with us you enjoyed a visit to the nearby and recently improved sea turtle night watch project. For the benefit of future visitors I advise that February to July (nightly) is considered to be the season for nesting turtles.

Finally, thank you for coming to stay and for being such delightful guests. I hope that one day we have the opportunity and pleasure to welcome you all back.

Warmest regards,
Nick & the Team.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a two week tour of the island, it was by far the best place we stayed and we will definitely recommend to friends and hopefully be back one day. Although next time we will definitely stay longer. What makes it so good is the staff, they were exceptional. Helpful and friendly but not pushy and above all we felt that they were genuine, this is not the feeling we got elsewhere on the island. The food was also fantastic and the seared tuna was the best my partner has ever had. High praise indeed. Well done to the team!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Manager at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
From Kalpa, on behalf of the hotel team thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

It is very nice to read our hotel “was by far the best place we stayed” and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff (I am sure including Ginger too).

We are all happy that you appreciate our food, specially “Seared Wasabi Tuna”. Certainly I will pass this on to our kitchen team.

We will look forward to meeting and welcoming your friends and hope to welcome you back once again.

Mr Nick has now returned from his trip and asked me to send his sincere thanks and best wishes with mine. Thank you again for coming to stay please return very soon. Kalpa.

Been to Buckingham Place? Share your experiences!