“The Perfect Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Offers & Announcements
'FREE NIGHTS' OFFER
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tangalle
Bath
“The Perfect Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent an idyllic 4 nights here at the tail end of a two week holiday in Sri Lanka and it proved to be the perfect place to relax. From the moment we arrived, the warmth and friendliness as well as the professionalism of Nick and his staff ensured that every aspect of our stay in this stunningly beautiful location was catered for. So much has been written about the luxurious accommodation and cuisine that it's difficult to add something new - suffice to say everything was delicious. I was surprised to see a comment made in another review questioning the need to place one's order in advance - sometimes several hours before dinner; to me, this was an eminently sensible practice as it resulted in the perfect marination time for meats and spices, less wastage and a freshly cooked meal. As I shiver in bleak old Blighty in February I remember the heat of Tangalle - walking on the near deserted Rekawa Beach to catch the sunsets; sweet Ginger grazing happily by my lounger; the warmth of that sparkling pool in the early evenings and so much more. 'The Voice' is playing as I write and I'm transported back to breakfast at BP, delicious bread and fruit, to the accompaniment of the exquisite Andreas Scholl -my vision of heaven...and Nick's?. And when wearing my silver shell, bought at Nick's ' shop', I have Sri Lanka close to my heart and feel a real pull to return; when I do BP will definitely be on the itinerary.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your perfect review.

Upon reading your generous review, perhaps unsurprisngly I too reached for my own CD of ‘The Voice’. Playing it slightly more enthusiatically than normal it awoke our typically lazy breakfast crowd, bringing good cheer plus an air of clarity to a slightly chilly (28 degs) and overcast morning.

I’m happy to note, I’m not the only one who thinks of food between mealtimes! Thank you for understanding the logic of ordering a curry or a few other foodstuffs in good time. Now we’re waking up to around 50% of the worlds food production being thrown away, perhaps the simple concept of meal planning and slower food might catch on!

I’m obviuously thrilled by your elequent, and frankly perfect review. I will never cease to be amazed by the sheer enthusiasm, levels of support and kind warmth extended to us all by our guests - past and present. Thank you very much for yours, it’s of great value in terms of team motivation and hotel sustainbability.

When your silver shell or ‘The Voice’ become insufficent to keep memories of your stay with us crystal clear, then please do return. We’d be delighted to welcome you back and host you once again.

Warmest regrads, Nick & the Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Buckingham Place is a great place, a real find, made special by Nick himself and his superb staff.

The place itself is nicely tucked away on a strip of land between Rekawa lagoon on one side and the sea on the other, all rooms pointing towards the lagoon with a nice view of the water, whilst within earshot of the crashing waves from the sea behind. The rooms are mainly individual chalets set apart from each other, resulting in a very peaceful atmosphere and good privacy. We were in room 7 called "the treehouse" as most of the bathroom (including the shower but not the toilet!) is open to the elements and there is a tree growing in part of it. This is very unusual and you know you're a long way from home! To be honest we found the bathroom slightly on the dark side at night, but we found most of the hotel bathrooms in Sri Lanka to be a bit too dark! The room itself is very spacious and the air con works well. There is no room fan, and the look is very minimalist/industrial concrete - personally we found the look a bit too utilitarian, but again that's purely personal taste.

The hotel restaurant is a lovely building, with open sides giving a good view over the grounds and the swimming pool. The grounds are quite spacious and so quiet, which is a rare thing in Sri Lanka!

The staff are very well trained and very friendly. Nick himself is a real character, very interesting to talk to, and someone who clearly has a very definite view of what he wants in a hotel. We agree with his view that breakfast should be served to suit the guests not the hotel. We very much liked being able to order our evening meal at lunchtime, which enabled us to ask for alternatives if we didn't fancy what was on the menu, and the staff were only too happy to try to accommodate us. The choice itself was relatively small (2 starters, 3 mains, 2 desserts) but the quality very high and the prices very fair. There is no decaf coffee (but to be fair this is surprisingly hard to find in Sri Lanka) and the cocktail list is a short one, but we are being very picky here!

One of the other great things we liked was the ability to walk the 5 mins to an idyllic unspoilt beach which was unsuitable for swimming but lovely to walk along. Equally there were interesting walks to the lagoon and around the surrounding area. The birdlife on the nearby ponds/reservoirs was fantastic.

We took a tuk tuk to Multikirigala temples (45 mins or so) and drove to Bundala national park which was very interesting and only an hour or so away.

We haven't even mentioned Ginger the pony yet! She is as much a character as Nick, pottering around hoping to be fed by the guests!

So to summarise, this is a great place, with good food, great staff, comfy rooms and very peaceful in an interesting location. What more can we say? Congrats to Nick and his team for creating such a lovely place to stay a few days.

Room Tip: They all looked good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your fabulous review which is both complimentary and very constructive.

Firstly, I’m delighted that you found the hotel a great place to relax and the Team and I made a good impression. Though always relaxed, I remember you keeping yourselves much busier than most; out and about amid the flora and fauna of Rekawa and its surrounding area. I share your love of nature and take great pleasure seeing guests enjoy what I do about the island.

As you’ve noticed I have a very definite view of what I want the hotel to be! I maintain this view to ensure the hotel becomes what its guests or at least the overwhelming majority of them want it to be. Much of what you experienced here came directly from former guests and ideas such as yours are included when we hear them regularly enough. For example, from this April we’ll try adding a few cocktails to bar menus – we’ll start with 5 then see how it goes. This is the direct result of your helpful suggestion and requests made by several others. Goodness knows how to make them but I’m sure I’ll enjoy the research! The decaf coffee may not be so easy but it’s on the ‘must find’ list so thank you very much for this suggestion too.

Guest ideas often conflict; such as size of menus and cuisine offered. After many observations that menu choices were overwhelming, I streamlined them slifghtly. Still there are 10 starters, 15 main courses and 10 desserts to choose from - 35 items in all over a 5 day period. Popular items previously on daily changing menus now appear on the all day, 12 choices Snack Menu including a much requested selection of ‘street food’.

I fully agree; lighting in ‘The Tree House’ bathroom would benefit from improvement. At the end of season this will be on my ‘things to do’ list – thanks for the suggestion.

Finally, you describe yourself as ‘picky’ though with absolutely no need. Like me you have a definite view of what you want from your hotel and I respect and thank you for speaking up. I really enjoyed your stay and hope one day you’ll both return – though not just to check that we’re finally serving decaf!

Thank you again for your good custom and your very helpful Trip Advisor review.

Warmest regards, Nick and the Team.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

All the great things reviewers have said about Buckingham Place, Nick and his staff are true - but I wanted to add something from my personal experience that made our stay really special, beyond the tranquil surroundings, great design, attention to detail and sublime food that you can enjoy here.

I have a, frankly infuriating and extensive, list of dietary requirements, due to illness, which is a major factor when choosing somewhere to stay. My desire to travel outweighs my desire to dine well, so I accept that when visiting Italy, for example, I will probably end up eating nothing but green salad for a week. At Buckingham Place, however, the website said they could manage any dietary differences, and they weren't exaggerating.

I send the (very long) list to Nick, and he and his team responded above and beyond the call of duty. Having already posted the list in the kitchen, Nick personally talked me through the daily menus, made suggestions for substitutions, and made sure that no matter how much a dish was changed, it would still meet his very high standards. No half measures here, nor half meals with elements simply taken out. New dishes were created (I got to eat 'ice-cream' for the first time in years, and the coconut calamari was pure genius), and the staff were all pre-warned and incredibly well-informed about my diet (I was never offered bread/milk/sugar or anything else I can't eat).

The food on offer at Buckingham Place is all magnificent - but the effort Nick and his team went to on my behalf was magical. I have never eaten so well, even before I was sick. Thanks to you all for allowing me to enjoy my holiday without fear of getting ill.

Room Tip: Go for a suite - it's worth the extra. What a bathroom!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

I think we could not have risen to our ‘dietary challenge’ had you not been part of the Team and, I think we actually owe you the compliment for the coconut flake calamari?!

As far as we’re concerned, our primary aim is that all guests depart the hotel with fond, enduring memories and so; periodically we remind ourselves that all who arrive at our gates do so with different needs and with past experiences – good and bad. I believe that so long as we can keep this in mind we’ll remain accommodating. If we can remember too that everyone staying with us deserves an equal opportunity of a memorable stay - irrespective of how different they are to each other or from us, we’ll keep on doing our level best to provide one.

On first reading your list of ‘I Can’t Eat’ foods I admit to remarking that maybe it would have been quicker for you to write down what you could eat - no offence intended as you know! However, it wasn't so difficult, we managed the challenge between us and I hope without the issue overshadowing your stay unduly. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you tuck into some decent meals and although the kitchen crew were somewhat relieved when the ‘list’ was removed from their notice board I think they were justifiably proud that everything went so well. I will translate your review for them to read for themselves, they’ll be chuffed I’m sure.

Aside from your kind compliments for our food you have thrown your weight behind all of our previous good reviews – thank you very much for this.

It remains only for me to say, thank you again for choosing Buckingham Place, your good custom and for following up with this really helpful review - it is highly appreciated.

Please visit again but in the meantime stay happy, healthy and eat only good food!

Warmest regards to you both, Nick & the Team.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Perfectly idyllic surroundings, wonderful staff with amazing accommodation.
From the moment we arrived the peace and tranquility of this perfect boutique hotel and its wonderful owner and staff greated us.
The owner Nick was a fantastic host and extremely welcoming and helpful. The food is as amazing as the accommodation, which allowed us to enjoy the magic of Buckinham Place, without leaving.
Anyone would certainly not be disappointed in fantastic establishment.
Thank you all for making the last part of our Sri Lanka stay wonderful.

Perfect!

Thank you very much for your perfect review – I only wish I could write as succinctly myself!

You have been much more than generous to me personally and you recommend the hotel to others as highly as we could ever hope for. The Team and its service, the food and your accommodation, all benefit from a vote of praise and your kind appreciation. Nevertheless, it’s your comment about enjoying ‘.....the magic of Buckingham Place.... that touches me most. Perhaps there is something here? I see it simply as combining a place in harmony with its surroundings with, a team sharing pride in what it does.

I’m delighted that you had a Fantastic Stay – really. I’m flattered by your review and thrilled that we were part of your wonderful trip to Sri Lanka. Thank you for telling us and others through Trip Advisor and... please do come again.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I celebrated my 30th with my boyfriend and we were considering doing lots of trains around Sri Lanka and a stopover in Dubai and then I thought I just want to relax so we headed straight to Buckingham Place where we stayed in the Treehouse (the bathroom is open air with a tree in the middle!) for 6 nights.
The room has great air-con, is very spacious and has a lovely chaise longue for relaxing.
Nick and team are superb and arranged our transfers (Sri Lankan driving is er close to the edge!), were so sweet and helpful, room service was prompt and made me feel pampered and I even had the staff singing me happy birthday complete with cake and candles which was lovely.
The food was amazing (if you want the village breakfast or 6 curries ask when you arrive when or if they are on during your stay and pre-book as these take a little longer to make - otherwise the wait for food is perfectly normal). Highlights would be the bread: rolls, toast, naan and roti all delicious, curries were a mixture of just straight with rice or beautifully presented as a modern take on a thali, the fish lunch packet and seared tuna as well as gingerbread cake and amazing muesli were other highlights (I'm salivating writing this!). If I were to suggest anything it would be to let the chefs experiment even more and have more spicy dishes and exclude fish and chips (way to boring!) but that's just me. Perhaps have a menu for the week that guests could be aware of? (I am a bit food obsessed!). I had a celebration meal on the terrace. The staff were only too keen to make the trip special.
I enjoyed getting up early to swim in the hotel pool before it got too hot. We ventured to the beach and it is indeed unspoilt, completely undeveloped and we ambled to the rock pool to spot crabs and made some friends with some local dogs. You'll understand when you get there why it is unsafe to swim but you don't need to trek there to hear the waves crashing against the beach from the hotel (that and the birdsong is something I wish I could have recorded for when city life gets too much).
I joked with Nick on leaving that I'd like an option on a spot in say 40 years time when I can spend my days reading and avoiding a tan in retirement (factor 50 is essential as it is hot although not as hot as I thought, very nice in January). I'm missing having a frog in my sink and lizards to greet me on the bedroom wall or in the garden (there is wildlife, other things we saw were squirrels, peacocks and of course Ginger the pony who wanted my sunbed!). Coming back it was also a bit of a shock having to be around so many people again as Buckingham Place offers a lot of privacy and you are really left alone if you want to just relax. I would totally recommend a trip to Buckingham Place if you need some quality relaxation and want to support a developing business in a country that is set to become more popular.

Room Tip: If you want even more privacy and/or a view of a lagoon pick a room near the lagoon. You don't...
Fantastic review!

I’m thrilled to see again, the Team features prominently and deservedly so in a review - I send big thanks on each member’s behalf. You also kindly compliment me, so, big thanks from me personally.

Considering their levels of professional competence it’s hard even for me to comprehend that barely a handful of the Team had worked in hospitality prior to Buckingham Place. I had a distinct learning advantage as a traveller but, few others had set foot in a hotel or restaurant let alone frequented either. Today; we have cooks some of whom until two years ago had never cooked, while others develop careers previously unimaginable or in some cases only dreamt of. For them to be recognised this way benchmarks just how far they’ve come and, is good reward for their commitment. Throughout your review you note the aspects of your stay that made the whole experience special enough to write about. It’s great to see that mostly you write about the people who made it happen rather than, just how powerful the cocktails are (or aren’t!). Thank you.

I've happily taken note of your food compliments and suggestions which have to some degree coincided with recent events. Several new (spicy) dishes have been recently and successfully tested on brave guests. Of particular interest, some delicious ‘street food’ now appears on the snack menu as does a brand new (fusion) chicken curry. Sorry however, but our ever popular fish & chips remain... I look forward to them every Friday!

Finally, we enjoyed your stay also and therefore naturally, we’d be thrilled to welcome you back one day. Thanks again for coming and for the fantastic Trip Advisor review.

Somerset England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Comfortable hotel, with a good mix of privacy and contact with other guests. Very friendly, efficiently run boutique hotel in an excellent location for access to Galle, elephant safari, birds, flora and fauna and beaches. Beautiful empty beach on the doorstep, but non- swimming due to dangerous currents. Go biking on the lanes to the fisherman's bay (5km). Committed service, and good food. A peacock in full display summed it all up for us.
Clifford Gould. Jan 2013

Room Tip: They are all the same.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your highly complimentary Trip Advisor review. Your time, effort and kind generosity are much appreciated.

Those considering whether or not to stay with us should find your review particularly helpful in terms of what to see and do around the hotel. Also, guests are on occasion surprised to see they can’t access the sea from Rekawa Beach so your advice on this is most welcome. Calmer, more accessible waters are not far away and can make for a pleasant day out, although quiet walks and picnics on Rekawa’s spectacular beach or, taking a cool lazy dip in the rockpool are equally popular ways to while away the day without leaving the village.

Your concluding description 'a peacock in full display' is a lovely, poetic compliment for the hotel over all, thank you for this on behalf of us all.

I hope that your holiday in Sri Lanka, including your stay with us, leaves you with enduring happy memories for many years to come. As I’m sure we said - please come back to see us one day, you’ll always be welcome at Buckingham Place.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

On a freeing cold snowy day in London there are many places I’d rather be, but at the top of that list is Buckingham Place.

Last December my wife and I were due to spent two nights here but in the ended up stayed for five – the remainder of our holiday. The reason being we simply couldn’t imagine loving another hotel as much as this. I still can’t.

After a few days being bounced around Yala in the back of a jeep we were looking forward to quiet relaxation. Buckingham Place exceeded all our expectations and was the true haven of tranquility that we hoped for.

For us, everything about it was perfect. The rooms were spacious and luxurious, beautifully designed. The grounds and plunge pool were idyllic – a favourite memory was being in the water whilst the local birdlife joined us for a swim! The food was absolutely sublime. Better than anything I’ve eaten here in London. The Pescatarian Lunch Packet in particular is highly recommended.

But what really sets Buckingham Place apart are the people. Nick is a wonderful host (with fabulous music taste!) and has gone to great lengths to create a warm and relaxing environment. He and his dedicated and friendly staff work tireless to create an experience like no other.

It’s not often that you feel genuinely ‘homesick’ for somewhere you've stayed. Thank you Nick and team for a magical few days. You made our holiday. We hope to see you again later this year!

Best
Dan & Carol x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We’re walking tall and smiling wide this morning, thanks to two wonderful reviews. After reading yours I must admit I’m content not to share your experience of a freezing cold snowy day in London – I’d rather be here too (sorry!).

Thank you very much for your compliments and kind reassurance that we’re still on track. I personally believe we’re only as good as our most recent reviews so, to continue receiving them is vitally important and very much appreciated. I see each review as equal in value, whether good or bad. I’m obviously just thankful they’re overwhelming supportive, better in fact, mostly they are like yours, passionate, generous and exceptionally kind.

As I write to say thanks, your review plus this mornings’ wildlife moment remind me that I live in a paradise. As two huge land monitors lumber across the lawn our tame peacock surveys the garden from the restaurant roof, waiting for breadcrumbs from the kitchen window. The array of birdlife fishing at the pond only adds to the morning - as does a guaranteed lack of snow!!

Many thanks for coming to stay (and extending it!) you were perfect guests to host. From us all thanks too, for your personal compliments and for making clear it’s a committed Team who make the 'Place' tick.

We look forward to your return.

Warmest regards, Nick and the Team.

Been to Buckingham Place? Share your experiences!