“Highly distinguishable……unspoiled, faultless experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Offers & Announcements
'FREE NIGHTS' OFFER
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tangalle
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Highly distinguishable……unspoiled, faultless experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

An "experience", that it is! Something which is uncommon when describing a hotel, other than that of the top hotels of the world. Buckingham Place sits within this category.

It was indeed a special stay for us, despite it being short. You are treated as a special, valued guest, not just as another tourist to walk through the door. The attention is all in the details, something which is a true pleasure. Examples include Nick's welcoming, wonderful and stimulating company, the lack of regular hotel 'rules & timetables', an indescribable atmosphere of peace and tranquility (part in part to his impeccable taste in music & interior design), unassuming but first class service and the relaxed elegant style apparent throughout the entire resort.

Many of the previous reviews will go into details of how beautiful the rooms are, how impeccable the food is (we are true foodies and all meals were superb, I will never forget the curried bacon!!), how picturesque the resort is, how stunning and abundant the rooms are, etc etc. So I won’t repeat them all, as I wholeheartedly agree with all their sentiments. This review is to highlight the ‘one of a kind’ experience, in an exceptional hotel, set in perfect paradise.

Do stay here, it is remarkably beautiful.

Best wishes to Nick and his wonderful team (including the beautiful Ginger), we hope to once again visit soon. Thank you!

* just to note, the beach may not be safe to swim in, however swimming in the rock pools was perfectly safe set amongst one of the most romantically deserted beaches I've had the pleasure of visiting!

Room Tip: No tip required, all rooms, including ours, were wonderful, abundant and luxurious. Hotel highly rec...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
A faultless review!

With an exceptionally proud smile I read and have re-read your review several times this morning, as have several members of my Team. Your enthusiasm and the passion with which you write is as humbling as your feedback is impressive. All of us are as delighted as we possibly can be, so, thank you very much. Your review will surely help us throughout 2013.

As your review is quite easily as good as it gets for a hotel or its prospective clients reading it, I can barely do justice to your generosity other than by plagiarising your words; by describing you both along with your review as, highly distinguishable.

My original and sustained concept is to provide more than just ‘a few nights in a hotel’ – an experience as you describe it. Now, with the knowledge that we’ve been able to, that it’s actually possible to achieve, we’ll continue striving towards doing so - for all future guests. Your accolades will be incredibly tough to live up to and, it’s unlikely we’ll satisfy every guest in exactly the same way but, I think that so long as we try to nothing more can be expected of us.

Thank you for coming to stay then sharing your experience so eloquently. For us you’ve set the bar much higher though this can only be positive for all guests to come. We’ll certainly be ‘on our toes’ when you return which, goes without saying we’d heartily welcome!

On behalf of us all I send sincere thanks for your faultless review – though these words barely express my true gratitude. Warmest regards to you both. Nick.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Graz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Even if it is more than a year, that we've been there - and even if there are so many good reviews and almost everything said - and even if I told it to Nick personally several times - this place is something VERY special on earth. and if you want to have something special, please go there!
We really often think of Nick and his wonderful team .
And not at least : If you try the Sri Lancan Breakfast there, you know how good food can be.(imagine,what this means told from an Austrian to an Englishman)
Nick, thanks again and a happy new year and much health from Oskar and Gabriele

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
One of the best couples ever!!!

Memoires of a wonderful couple returned with a most remarkable review this morning – thank you very much indeed. Almost a year has elapsed since your stay but, still you remember and reward us through these kind and generous words - I am greatly touched.

For more than 2 years now; the hotel continues to attract an eclectic, international and truly wonderful clientele, I’m not sure how or why but with very few exceptions, every guest appears to share an enthusiasm for the hotel and what we do. So, you are not an exception in this regard but, you were nonetheless exceptional guests! At my age I’m completely hopeless at remembering names but, on reading your review I remembered you both instantly, clearly and fondly.

Thank you for your kind review and for remembering us. On behalf of the Team I return my compliments of the Season and wish you too, a very happy and healthy 2013.

Please return soon!

Warmest regards,
Nick.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights in mid-November (the last leg of our belated honeymoon) and wish to echo many of the comments made by other reviews.

The place itself could not be better situated - nestled between the sea on one side (so you have the constant background sound of waves lapping ashore) and lagoon on the other with lush greenery all around, it was a lovely spot. The beach was beautiful and near deserted, and we enjoyed a couple of lovely strolls down to the rockpool.

We were also incredibly impressed by the hotel itself. The rooms are beautifully designed (they look a little stark in some of the photos but in fact are incredibly comfortable and absolutely massive to boot!) and extremely clean. The pool and gardens are also extremely well kept, and we very much enjoyed having Ginger the pony around!

Others have commented on the amazing service and we really could not fault this. Nick was a great host, there to welcome you, check everything is ok and to answer questions but not obtrusive or overbearing (as I have seen suggested below). Other staff members were also great - courteous and on hand. A small example of the level of service is that once dark a staff member met us on the walk to the restaurant to light up the pathway with a torch, and would escort us back to our room again. Staff were also always happy to refill our water flasks (free drinking water being another of the small touches that make this place so great).

And speaking of the restaurant, the food was fantastic. There was always a good choice and without fail the food was delicious - on a par with many a fancy (and far more expensive) restaurant in London where we live. A special mention must go to the Sri Lankan breakfast, the best we had in Sri Lanka and enough to keep you going for most of the day. We were also very pleased by a complimentary cake to celebrate our honeymoon!

All in all there is really nothing we did not enjoy about our stay - possibly only that it couldn't be longer. Well done Nick and team on creating this blissful place. Hopefully we will return one day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Nothing but good things to say has to be, one of the best review titles ever - thank you!

I’ve enjoyed myself more than ever today thanks to the generosity of past guests. As I reply to yours the third outstanding review of the day, I ask myself what better job can there be?

You commend us overwhelmingly for service, food quality and in fact all aspects of the hotel – for this I’m exceptionally grateful. I’m thrilled too, that you enjoyed the beach, the flora and fauna, and the lush tropical setting of the hotel probably as much as I do!

Knowing there was nothing you didn’t enjoy about your stay is rewarding to say the least – perhaps more so being that you were nearing the conclusion of your honeymoon. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

As for Ginger? She’s as fat as a horse now (as we all are) after a certain amount of seasonal excess – she’s been spoilt rotten by everyone of course and in need of a good gallop!

Thank you for coming to stay and then following up on Trip Advisor so magnificently. I wish you both a blissfully happy life together and send warm wishes from us all.

Please return..& Happy New Year! Nick.
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Buckingham Place has an energy that made me feel immediately at home. The rooms are perfectly decorated to my taste - all with incredible views of lagoon and it's surrounding nature. The hotel area is quiet - so no honking tuktuks or beach discos to disturb the serenity. The guests seem to be an eclectic and relaxed bunch - all enjoying their stay. You can go for a walk on the beach and see no one else. The crashing of the waves will wash away any of your worries.

This hotel was exactly the right choice for us. If you are looking for long romantic walks on a beautiful beach, peaceful surroundings and lovely hotel rooms, look no further. We will miss our morning breakfasts with Ginger the pony and interesting conversations with Nick over meals. Everything was perfect. Nick makes managing a hotel look effortless. He certainly gets an A+ for the results. Bravo! I look forward to a return visit and would recommend to any anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
From the moment I met you both at our restaurant I was confident we’d get along really well – I was not disappointed. I believe this was at least in part due to you happily arriving at the ‘right’ address after painstaking research and, that you'd found here what you expected to find. I was greatly impressed to hear you’d not only read all the Trip Advisor reviews but, all my replies to them too – thanks again for your compliment about my communication skills!

Throughout this season we’ve hosted as you say, “an eclectic and relaxed bunch” but I add; we’ve hosted, entertained and have been entertained by, an interesting and quite perfect set of guests including yourselves.

Thank you for selecting Buckingham Place to spend New Year’s Eve and for joining my table on that evening. I enjoyed your company and would clearly welcome you back as early as tomorrow!

I say Happy New Year once more and send my warmest regards on behalf of the entire Team.

Thank you for this fabulous review and your kind support. Nick.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at this wonderful hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of December as part of our tour of Sri Lanka. I will start by saying that the whole area is incredibly beautiful and Buckingham Place was the best place we stayed though out our trip. Nick and his staff were friendly, helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble. It was clear that everyone we encountered wanted to ensure that our stay was nothing other than perfect.

We stayed in the presidential suite which was huge and beautifully designed. i have read other reviews which mention the concrete floor. We had no issues with the floor and as long as you take care when wet - which you surely would do anywhere- this should not be a problem at all. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully maintained and there is the resident horse Ginger to keep the grass in check! Ginger is not at all troublesome and I enjoyed feeding her bread each morning. We also had a troup of monkeys living in the trees next to our suite which provided hours of entertainment - it was great just to watch them going about their daily mischief.

Breakfast was huge - I decided to have the cooked option on the 1st day which was delicious but for fear of expanding my waistline a little too much I stuck with the fruit plate thereafter. My boyfriend particularly enjoyed the variety of hot options. Dinner was excellent each evening. There was great choice and all of a very high standard. My only comment here would be that it would be nice to have a simpler choice. I did feel that I was being very indulgent there and sometimes it is nice to have something a little simpler. That aside we really couldn't fault anything that we ate at all. Nick is always on hand with advice and help if needed and contrary to other reports on here we found this useful and interesting as opposed to being intrusive.

The place is fantastic and I don't think the website does it justice in fact. We were amazed by the size and how spacious it all was - having pictured a boutique villa style establishment. The beach is only moments away and was by far the most natural and beautiful beach we encountered in sri lanka. Yes you can't swim but the waves are sensational and amazing to watch. We did walk quite a distance down the beach and found a place to sit and relax with a cold drink which made for an enjoyable trip out.

Tangalle itself was nothing compared to the Rekawa area and we really didn't feel the need to escape the gates of Buckingham Place other than to visit the beach. We have a rule of never visiting the same place twice but i have a feeling we may make an exception here! Thanks Nick & team for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
It’s true - good things come in threes!

This morning Trip Advisor alerted me to three outstanding reviews, none of which could be more heart warming, motivational or more helpful. To read “Buckingham Place was the best place we stayed though out our trip” and to learn that you may make an exception to your rule of never visiting the same place twice, is nothing short of fabulous news for all of us!

I will keep my reply short as we still enjoy a ‘house full’ of typically wonderful guests. However, in addition to thanking you for your huge vote of confidence – especially in support of me(!) I take this moment to say thanks for your helpful suggestions with regards menus. Frankly I tend to agree with you and will review them later this month. I have guests still with us from Christmas/New Year whom I know might also agree with your comments and waistline concerns!

Thank you; for coming to stay, for your good custom and this outstanding review. Please do break your rule – we will happily welcome your return!

I wish you a Happy New Year and send our Warmest Regards. Nick.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights in December. We have little to add to all the positive comments below - this really is a fabulous hotel (retreat?) specifically designed to factor out all of the usual hotel annoyances. And I'm relieved to say we had no trouble with the pesky cement floor. Food, drink, service, the rooms, communal areas - all of the highest standard. And the surroundings, particularly nearby Rekawa Beach and the lagoon (we'd recommend going for a paddle in one of the kayaks provided), are stunning.

So why do we say Buckingham Place might not be for all? The owner has gone to a lot of trouble to fashion the hotel just the way he wants it, and with great success. Our only criticism - and this is personal to us, as clearly from some of the other reviews some found this part of the charm - is that the owner can be a little overbearing. We want to enjoy a beautiful hotel in peace and quiet, and be left to our own devices, not asked several times a day how we are, how we are finding the place, and slightly creepily, to be told to sleep well at night. Even where the owner sits during the day and night - not so much front of house, but in the house, talking to all of the guests - was a bit much for us. We want our holidays as a couple to be just that - as a couple - and at Buckingham Place it felt a bit like we had a chaperone. Even when he wasn't there we had the (clearly irrational) feeling that Big Brother might be watching us from somewhere.

As I say, this is our personal view - and the hotel itself really is quite an achievement, for which the owner can be rightly proud. We would highly recommend the hotel, hence the excellent rating - as long as you know what to expect.

Stayed December 2012
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your custom and for following up your stay on TripAdvisor. You have kindly rated the hotel as 'excellent' I can only hope this encourages more travellers to stay. I am somewhat bewildered however, in respect of your criticism of me personally. I will try to respond objectively and briefly.

It seems (not only to me) that we live in a world where genuine friendliness, caring and good manners are values of a bygone era. Luckily I think, I grew up learning about the moral and social imperatives of caring for others along with a necessity to exercise good manners. I also learned to become welcoming and hospitable - job prerequisites for any hotelier one might imagine? Therefore; for me to inquire time to time as to the wellbeing of a guest or, to ask what might be done to make their stay more enjoyable is, completely and utterly natural. Further, to be criticised for using a common courtesy such as 'goodnight, sleep well' seems a plain misjudgement. I and my colleages say this or simiular to virtually every single house guest leaving our restaurant after dinner - after first thanking them politely for their custom.

As you rightly say, the hotel may not be for all. You might also agree that reasonable guest expectations could be that I operate a hotel at which I’d be perfectly happy to stay myself – one that’s hospitable and one where guests are cared for and not viewed purely as occupancy rate statistics. These expectations are exactly what I and my team endeavour to fulfil.

I freely admit to being not only surprised but offended by your very personal remarks, though I take them squarely on the chin and ‘on-board’ all the same. May I respectfully suggest that when researching hotels in the future, the choice of a much larger and consequently more impersonal/anonymous style of hotel might well suit your needs more adequately?

I can thankfully confirm; the typical dominant ethos found at small, owner-operated hotels - at least those I choose to frequent and the one I choose to operate is, personalised care with genuine friendly service. I'm surprised to learn this doesn't satisfy every traveller.

Thank you for your congratulatory words in recognition of my achievements and the positive comments about the property itself. I apologise for being a cause of irritation but simultaneously regret to inform you that you've sadly misunderstood good intentions and the core values of this hotel.

Best wishes, Nick Buckingham.
Pune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Buckingham place is a refreshingly different yet extremely comfortable place to stay in. A natural treat situated right in the jungle (not literally) but overlooking a huge lagoon and the Rekawa beach, you cannot ask for more.

The service is excellent and the staff makes every effort to keep you happy. We asked for a couple of things and they were made available in no time. Some of the best food I've had. all cuisines including Sri lankan, Indian, Western are served hot and fresh (that makes it even better). Bicycle rides along the place are enjoyable because of the natural beauty. Perfect place to relax.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I am greatly touched when I realise that you must have written this great review almost the moment you arrived home. For this, for choosing our hotel and of course for your good custom and company, I send thanks on behalf of us all.

Looking after honeymooners I see as a big responsibility – couples must leave our hotel with memories to cherish for a lifetime. I’m so pleased the hotel ‘measured up’ and that you found this the perfect place to relax after your big Indian wedding.

When hosting neighbours from India we know always they’ll be interesting, considerate and kind. I especially thank for your great respect for my team and your enthusiasm for what we do here in Rekawa.

I hope we have the opportunity to host you both once again but in the meantime, I congratulate you and wish you a blissfully happy and blessed life together.

From us all in Sri Lanka I send warm Seasons Greetings and our fondest regards.
Nick & the Team.

Been to Buckingham Place? Share your experiences!