“Outstanding hotel that might not be for all...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tangalle
“Outstanding hotel that might not be for all...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights in December. We have little to add to all the positive comments below - this really is a fabulous hotel (retreat?) specifically designed to factor out all of the usual hotel annoyances. And I'm relieved to say we had no trouble with the pesky cement floor. Food, drink, service, the rooms, communal areas - all of the highest standard. And the surroundings, particularly nearby Rekawa Beach and the lagoon (we'd recommend going for a paddle in one of the kayaks provided), are stunning.

So why do we say Buckingham Place might not be for all? The owner has gone to a lot of trouble to fashion the hotel just the way he wants it, and with great success. Our only criticism - and this is personal to us, as clearly from some of the other reviews some found this part of the charm - is that the owner can be a little overbearing. We want to enjoy a beautiful hotel in peace and quiet, and be left to our own devices, not asked several times a day how we are, how we are finding the place, and slightly creepily, to be told to sleep well at night. Even where the owner sits during the day and night - not so much front of house, but in the house, talking to all of the guests - was a bit much for us. We want our holidays as a couple to be just that - as a couple - and at Buckingham Place it felt a bit like we had a chaperone. Even when he wasn't there we had the (clearly irrational) feeling that Big Brother might be watching us from somewhere.

As I say, this is our personal view - and the hotel itself really is quite an achievement, for which the owner can be rightly proud. We would highly recommend the hotel, hence the excellent rating - as long as you know what to expect.

Stayed December 2012
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your custom and for following up your stay on TripAdvisor. You have kindly rated the hotel as 'excellent' I can only hope this encourages more travellers to stay. I am somewhat bewildered however, in respect of your criticism of me personally. I will try to respond objectively and briefly.

It seems (not only to me) that we live in a world where genuine friendliness, caring and good manners are values of a bygone era. Luckily I think, I grew up learning about the moral and social imperatives of caring for others along with a necessity to exercise good manners. I also learned to become welcoming and hospitable - job prerequisites for any hotelier one might imagine? Therefore; for me to inquire time to time as to the wellbeing of a guest or, to ask what might be done to make their stay more enjoyable is, completely and utterly natural. Further, to be criticised for using a common courtesy such as 'goodnight, sleep well' seems a plain misjudgement. I and my colleages say this or simiular to virtually every single house guest leaving our restaurant after dinner - after first thanking them politely for their custom.

As you rightly say, the hotel may not be for all. You might also agree that reasonable guest expectations could be that I operate a hotel at which I’d be perfectly happy to stay myself – one that’s hospitable and one where guests are cared for and not viewed purely as occupancy rate statistics. These expectations are exactly what I and my team endeavour to fulfil.

I freely admit to being not only surprised but offended by your very personal remarks, though I take them squarely on the chin and ‘on-board’ all the same. May I respectfully suggest that when researching hotels in the future, the choice of a much larger and consequently more impersonal/anonymous style of hotel might well suit your needs more adequately?

I can thankfully confirm; the typical dominant ethos found at small, owner-operated hotels - at least those I choose to frequent and the one I choose to operate is, personalised care with genuine friendly service. I'm surprised to learn this doesn't satisfy every traveller.

Thank you for your congratulatory words in recognition of my achievements and the positive comments about the property itself. I apologise for being a cause of irritation but simultaneously regret to inform you that you've sadly misunderstood good intentions and the core values of this hotel.

Best wishes, Nick Buckingham.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Pune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Buckingham place is a refreshingly different yet extremely comfortable place to stay in. A natural treat situated right in the jungle (not literally) but overlooking a huge lagoon and the Rekawa beach, you cannot ask for more.

The service is excellent and the staff makes every effort to keep you happy. We asked for a couple of things and they were made available in no time. Some of the best food I've had. all cuisines including Sri lankan, Indian, Western are served hot and fresh (that makes it even better). Bicycle rides along the place are enjoyable because of the natural beauty. Perfect place to relax.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I am greatly touched when I realise that you must have written this great review almost the moment you arrived home. For this, for choosing our hotel and of course for your good custom and company, I send thanks on behalf of us all.

Looking after honeymooners I see as a big responsibility – couples must leave our hotel with memories to cherish for a lifetime. I’m so pleased the hotel ‘measured up’ and that you found this the perfect place to relax after your big Indian wedding.

When hosting neighbours from India we know always they’ll be interesting, considerate and kind. I especially thank for your great respect for my team and your enthusiasm for what we do here in Rekawa.

I hope we have the opportunity to host you both once again but in the meantime, I congratulate you and wish you a blissfully happy and blessed life together.

From us all in Sri Lanka I send warm Seasons Greetings and our fondest regards.
Nick & the Team.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My partner and I only stayed here for one night. We booked the presidential suite and it was very well decorated and spacious! I agree that the floor was slippery, but you just have to take extra caution when walking around. Our favourite part about the room was the big windows in the front. It was so relaxing to sit on the comfortable sofa chairs , drinking tea and looking out into the sky and a bit of the lagoon. The bathroom was huge ( almost the same size as the room). The bed was very comfortable and clean. We used the air conditioning during the night and had no bug problems. Only bugs seen were ants in the bathroom, but only because it was an open outdoor bathroom. The food was very good and the breakfast was divine. The croissants were unforgettable. I talked about them for about a week after we left. The tea was very well chosen and we ended up buying bags of it. The music and atmosphere for breakfast and dinner was great. Nick is very nice and inviting and we enjoyed speaking with him. He is always there to oversee things. The beach was stunning to walk on, but you cannot see it from the rooms. It is a short 3 minute walk down a path. Pool was relaxing but a little small. Luckily we were the only ones swimming. Overall there was a secluded, peaceful and relaxing feeling to the place. Would go back again.

Room Tip: Room underground facing the lagoon looked nice and private
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m highly delighted to read your lovely review this morning and, on behalf of the team I send our sincere big thanks.

In addition to generous praise for the hotel and its team - along with Rekawa’s spectacular beach, you have perhaps redressed and allow me to address an earlier reviewers concern about cement floors. To retain attractive (and when dry), user friendly floors, we have adopted a helpful suggestion from another guest and, now issue rubber flip-flops to any guest concerned about making a slip. Nothing can guarantee that we’ll take adequate care of ourselves whilst walking but, this initiative greatly reduces our exposure to risk when doing so!

That after spending just one night with us you felt able to write such a kind and supportive review is certainly rewarding and, whilst I will never become complacent it is immensely reassuring to know we are still on the right track with all of our efforts.

Your final line “Would go back again” is as welcome as you will be should you decide to do so.

I send our warm Seasons Greetings, thanks and very best wishes. Nick & the Team.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was certainly a beautiful area of Sri Lanka, the walks along the beach are wonderful. My concern was the slippy concrete floor in the room which i nearly slipped on twice, not a good idea to walk bare foot! There is no brew facilities provided in the room. You can ask for this however, but the offer of morning tea and coffee first thing in the morning as a member of staff passed by seemed very inviting, so we accepted, only to find a bill for nearly £7 on check out! Nothing is ever free!!! The food needs to be ordered hours in advance, so if something is wrong, don't bother asking for something else, as you will have a long wait while your partner is at the coffee stage. The wine is ridiculously expensive and not the best quality. The music during dining takes you away from Sri Lanka and into a generic London Hotel! Overall it was a pleasant stay, but not sure about the prices. The bikes are in desperate need of maintenance too. Be nice to see some of the profits put back!!

Room Tip: Check the floor is not too slippy, there may be rooms with a safer floor surface!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for coming to stay at Buckingham Place and for submitting a review to Trip Advisor.

Thankfully overall, you experienced a pleasant stay, although you have raised several points of dissatisfaction which I respond to in order and in full.

Firstly, I’m sorry that you nearly slipped on a cement floor; it would certainly sadden us were a guest to fall or hurt themselves or, if they were even anxious about doing so. Cement floors are for many including me, an attractive architectural feature. They are used almost as widely as ceramic tiles throughout Sri Lanka, largely for practicality, organic appearance and because hard wood forests are have been depleted and carpeting is impractical in the tropics. Deliberately, we use rough-cut granite in (wet) bathrooms and have not polished a single cement floor for over 2 years now. Responsibly, we offer cautionary advice about wet feet and/or floors both verbally on arrival and in our in-room pamphlet entitled “It’s Only Common Sense’.

We choose not to provide ‘brew facilities’ in bedrooms or suites unless asked to. Instead we serve freshly ground coffee and high-grown teas from Sri Lanka’s top estates. This is in preference to typical sachets of processed and generally tasteless generic refreshment given free in city hotel rooms and elsewhere. This quality first policy helps maintain standards in terms of hygiene, cleanliness and guest satisfaction. Pots of connoisseur tea and large French presses of coffee can be served to guest accommodation before breakfast and are included as part of breakfast. Guests can also ask for ‘refills’ - these too are included in our overnight rates. That you were mistakenly charged is a training issue - now in hand. I sincerely apologise for this and ask that you please email us requesting a full refund of this charge. If you had brought this mistake to our attention after checking your final bill the amount would have been deducted without question. Unfortunately, your review is anonymous and therefore I can do nothing further until I hear from you personally I’m afraid. I naturally apologise for our error and for any inconvenience caused.

As we highlight on guest arrival and/or in information provided prior to it; “meal orders can take slightly longer than elsewhere in the world and so we respectfully request the kind patience of all diners. We do not use microwave ovens or pre-prepared ingredients due to our desire to provide tasty fresh food”. There are several menu items that indeed require extra time to create such as the ever popular ‘Rice and Six Curries’ the ‘Pescetarian Lamprais’ and the Sri Lankan ‘Big Village Breakfast’ for two. We sometimes ask late afternoon whether guests would like Chef to reserve a freshly caught fish or order one of the above items. At least 85% of our menu items however, can arrive at a table taking little or no more time than at any decent quality restaurant serving freshly made food. Sadly, in this world where processed, pre-packed fast-food has become the norm, even I forget sometimes just how long it can take to cook up a proper meal!

Wine and in fact all foreign liquor attracts high import costs/duties/taxes and we are obliged to add government levies/taxes/VAT and service when selling it. Our policy is to avoid ‘marking up’ wine to a prohibitive level and experience thus far tells us that the majority of diners - even our long stay guests, happily order a bottle with their evening meal and, that its quality and cost can be viewed as equivelent to wine sold at a typical UK bistro. Quality of a product and its value to us is subjective. A view of value for money can be clouded by our own budget, exchange rates, cost to buy in our own country plus, a host of other factors. My own experience added to the large volume of guest feedback to date reassures me that our restaurant prices and moreover our value for money is comparative, just and fair. Finally on this, when I order wine at a restaurant myself, I always expect its cost to at least partially reflect the ambience, hospitality and exclusiveness of the estblishment at which I consume it.

Music played at our restaurant. Generally, the jazz/swing, Latin with a sprinkling of classical/opera has proven very popular with guests so far and is now for some, part of the 'experience’ of being with us I’m told. I am frequently asked what music/artist is playing and for guests to share their own genre choices with us. Simply, a song to make absolutely everybody happy is yet to be written - until it is we’ll continue with our policy of playing fantastic music (my view!).

Free bicycles. Many thanks for this feedback. I have just inspected them and several are now on their way to the repair shop!

As for profit? Any made since this project opened 2 years ago has been reinvested. Investment goes directly to Team development, property upgrades/new facilities and guest services. 35 Sri Lankans (and their families comprising more than 100 individuals) currently benefit through; security of permanent, year round positions, training and development, fair wages and pensions etc. Many lives have been uplifted through past and current community initiatives including a voluntary 2 year, $1.2m donor funded/post tsunami project – still saving and improving lives today. Ongoing micro-sponsorship of a community pre-school and its teacher salaries is another example. You say “Not all what it seems!” – clearly another point on which we agree!

My personal profit? A terrific team supporting me and caring for guests with utmost pride, my life in this paradise and most importantly - the diverse, interesting and appreciative clientele who come to stay with us. Perhaps if the hotel is successful and makes a good profit one day, nobody will begrudge me?

Again, thank you for coming to stay and sorry if we didn’t quite measure up. Please contact us with regards refunding your overpayment and please forgive the error – I assure you it was unintentional. Thank you.

I send Seasons Greeting and Best Wishes from Paradise. Nick.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This place I really can't rate highly enough, probably one of the nicest places I have ever stayed hotel wise. The welcome by Nick and his team was very warm and all the staff were so nice and helpful, the best service we received at any hotel during our whole 2 week holiday. The food was absolutely amazing, we had fresh tuna, curries, seafood pasta and the best breakfast! I really can't rate the food more highly, it really does compare to top London restaurants, possibly better.....

What is so great was the team have taken all the annoying parts of a hotel and removed them completely, so for example; breakfast you can have whenever you want from 5am up to 1pm, no signing after every drink/thing you order (unless you want to) -there are loads more examples of these little touches that in our opinion are genius!!

We stayed in a suite, it was beautiful and clean, had a massive balcony, wonderful lagoon views, a bathroom which was bigger than our whole bedroom (possibly including kitchen as well) at home! Great room.

The only downside (which is being changed) is that you can't see the sea from the hotel, restaurant, pool etc, this is the only thing this hotel is missing although as i said you can walk and see in 2 minutes! However this is being changed /built and when this happens we think you couldn't get a more perfect place. One day I hope to return to Sri Lanka and Buckingham place, as our stay really made our holiday.

(We stayed at the end of November 2012)

Room Tip: Our suite was called kandy something it was great, to be honest all room were very large!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I write on behalf of everybody here to say thank you for coming to stay and for submitting such an overwhelmingly warm and supportive review.

I understand that users of TripAdvisor take greatest note of recent reviews. Therefore, although we’ve received an amazing number of reviews to date, I fully appreciate that we could never receive too many like yours! Great reviews are hugely appreciated as they contribute towards the sustainability of 35 permanent jobs at an hospitable hotel for adventurous travellers...You have judged us and the hotel with exceptional kindness for which I’m sincerely grateful.

Having noticed yourselves, you have provided readers with helpful insight to some of the smaller details, easily overlooked on a short stay. As I think I explained, I sat many times with pen and paper, noting down my own irritations as a traveller. Then, I made sure that as many of them as possible were excluded from Buckingham Place - I’m thrilled you noticed and approve!

Though your review is anonymous, unless I’ve mixed up names again I can remember your stay being far too short. I hope you do return to stay, only for longer next time? Thank you again for your coming and for your review, it is truly wonderful!

I send Seasons Greetings and our Warmest Regards. Nick.
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is an unusual hotel because of its ultra modern design and location in the middle of nowhere. If you ignore the calls of tropical birds you could be Cannes or Ibiza! The rooms unusually all face a lagoon north east rather than the sea south west so you miss out on the sunsets but the beach is a short walk away and very beautiful though swimming is not reccommended. Nor is it any good at the rock pools further down but there is a nice swimming pool with comfortable sunbeds in the garden.
The place is beautifully appointed with well kept gardens and very large chic rooms and outsize bathrooms. Really appreciated the ayurvedic face creams and toiletries! Nick supervises everything and makes sure that if anything is missing or goes wrong it will be corrected. Breakfast was very good with lots of choices and flexibility. My only suggestion would be to start serving it a little earlier than 8.30 for the early risers!
Dinners were delicious and the restaurant is very stylish and well decorated. For longer stays it is maybe a little too expensive considering there are no other options in the vicinity.
A tuk tuk into Tangalle takes about 30 minutes but I wouldn't reccommend it after dark!
Well done Nick for creating this beautiful oasis!

Room Tip: The standard room was very large, all rooms looked equally good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
On behalf of the team; thank you very much for choosing Buckingham Place and for following up your stay via Trip Advisor. You kindly compliment several features of the hotel and are more than generous to me - thanks again!

There were some aspects of your stay which didn’t suit you and/or require more verbal communication on our part it seems. Maybe we are relying too heavily on our website or advice leaflets to get important messages across - I will ceratinly look at this.

Firstly, the hotel is purposely - located far from madding crowds and busy, commercialised beaches. This is to enable everyone’s enjoyment of nature at its best. The downside is the inaccessible sea lapping at our doorstep; the upside is a beautiful, spectacular and usually deserted beach just 70 metres from our gates - on the edge of a nature sanctuary abundant with wildlife including occasional nesting sea turtles (Feb-July). Almost year-round, a nearby rock pool provides protection from waves and an opportunity for bathers to splash or float around in the sea. For guests wanting a more meaningful swimming experience we generally send them to safer waters nearby in a Tuk Tuk (c30mins), either with a picnic or with the name of a beachside restaurant to try. This is typically a most pleasurable and economical half or full day out.

Breakfast; regrettably we failed to communicate that whilst 8.30 is our normal start time we happily facilitate requests from early risers - 3.30am being the earliest cooked breakfast to date! Today in fact, I began writing this reply at 7am while guests enjoyed early breakfast prior to their departure. While perhaps we communicate that breakfast is normally served from 8.30am until early afternoon (if desired) and that our restaurant remains open until late evening, it appears we lack clarity in terms of early risers for which I sincerely apologise.

Mostly, our guests stay longer than a couple of nights and therefore they inevitably dine out from time to time. Alternative restaurants are easily accessed often within as little as 15 minutes (in the village itself) and there are further options at Tangalle (c30mins). We are always happy to help with suggestions when asked and can recommend a safe driver to transport guests if necessary.

We naturally prefer guests to dine with us and to this end, constant focus through training and innovation is maintained. This focus results in valuable personal development of a 12 member all- Sri Lankan kitchen crew along with some fairly eclectic, tasty, and generously sized menu choices. Compared with street vendors or food offered at low budget eateries our cuisine is of course a little more expensive to produce and consume. For clearer perspective; a memorable night in our restaurant need cost no more than a typical/simple UK pub lunch or an Indian take-away in front of the TV - comparisons end there I add! A sumptuous a la carte breakfast is of course included and is generally more than most guests need to sustain themselves throughout the day.

“A great stay – enjoyed” is overall I believe your main message - to us and to others. Your wish to support us objectively is also most welcome and clear to see. I’m really happy that you had such a good time and reply by saying that we very much enjoyed your stay too. I apologise again for inadequate communication and thank you a final time for your useful feedback - it serves both as a wake up call and timely reminder.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your return to Sri Lanka; in the meantime I send our warmest regards. Nick & the Team.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We really enjoyed our two night beach break at Buckingham Place. Our room was amazing. It was large, modern, spotlessly clean and had a lovely balcony with breath-taking views. The bathroom was really lovely with a great rain shower, a large bath tub and nice toiletries were also provided. The hotel is located a short stroll away from the beach. Unfortunately the sea there is not suitable for swimming but there is a rock pool close by to bath in. We were also offered the use of canoes and bicycles during our stay. Staff were always friendly and attentive. Food was excellent and cooked to order - no buffets hurray!!
Overall - this was my favourite hotel for our trip to Sri Lanka and I cannot rate it highly enough. Thanks Nick and team

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
On behalf of us all, thank you very much for your wonderful review. I’m delighted your stay went so well and of course, very proud too that ours was your favourite hotel in Sri Lanka!

You have rated our hotel very highly which obviously helps those looking for accommodation as well as us. I cannot express how much this is appreciated both in terms of motivation and our long term prospects. Each and every review is invaluable (but never taken for granted) as they all contribute towards the sustainability of the hotel. With regards swimming; as you rightly say, there’s a pleasant beach rock pool to relax in – usually this is safe to use, also there’s a modest pool at the hotel. For longer stay guests we generally recommend a morning/afternoon at a nearby beach where the sea is much more accessible. Thank you however for advising others – as far as we’re concerned we’d rather keep our guests safe than conceal the fact!

Finally, I send thanks for your choice of Buckingham Place and your good custom – you were a pleasure to host and we hope to see you again one day. Thank you.

Warmest regards, Nick & the Team.

Been to Buckingham Place? Share your experiences!