“just like home but with luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buckingham Place

You added Buckingham Place to your Saves list
Buckingham Place
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Wellawathugoda Road, Tangalle 82200, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Tangalle
istanbul
“just like home but with luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on a 10 day trip of Sri Lanka and it was easy the best hotel we stayed at even though it wasn't the most expensive. it was the perfect place to relax for a few days after spending some time in Yala National park on our way along the coast towards Galle.
The food was also consistently the best we had on our trip and i was surprised by how reasonable the prices were once the bill came at checkout. We had breakfast on our balcony both mornings, something i recommend everyone should do.
The staff were never in the way but always there when you needed them even without having to call them on one of the strategically placed bells around the property.
The staff try to cater for any wish you have in terms of food or otherwise and you are guaranteed to be well taken care of at this great boutique hotel.
The beach is a short 2 minute walk from the property and was the most beautiful and picturesque beach we saw during our trip but swimming isn't possible due to strong rip currents other than in a small rock pool a short walk away along the beach.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
From all of us here, thank you sincerely for your high recommendation through TripAdvisor. I’m highly delighted you found this the right place to relax and, that we’ve made a good impression on you.

The Team I know enjoy serving and taking care of special and appreciative guests - which of course you both are! That we’ve made such a good impression in just 2 days is immensely pleasing and bodes well for our forthcoming season and indeed our future.

I happen to believe the sustainability of the hotel is underpinned by the level of hospitality we provide and not just the number of rooms we can fill. Your enjoyment of Buckingham Place motivates me personally as well as the team to maintain the direction in which we’re headed.

Thank you for your much valued custom and wonderful review, you were delightful guests whom we’d be thrilled to see again!

On behalf of us all I send our very warmest regards. Nick.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

A stunning place to stay, whether as part of a luxury tour or (as for us) a 'treat' stop on a four-month world trip. We were there in June (sorrry, Nick, for waiting until we got back to do our Trip Advisor reviews), and felt like VIPs as there were so few other guests in the off season. Kasippu Junction room/bathroom was simply the most beautiful haven imaginable. Fantastic use of design and lighting.
The food is sensational - and the hotel is wonderfully accommodating by offering the fabulous breakfast any time. Portions are always very generous and meals are a real high point. This was definitely some of the best food in 6 weeks in Sri Lanka. Pescatarian lamprais, sri lanka vegetarian curry and fish cooked in ginger beer were 5 star - but so was all the other food too. Our only regret is that Nick has not done a Buckingham Place recipe book.
I was staying with my 10-year-old daughter and we were made to feel so very welcome. The staff are amazing - excellent service which is friendly, thoughtful and completely straightforward. Thank you to everyone.
Nick's previous work on the Tangalle hospital shows another side of the man, and all his insights into living and working in Sri Lanka were fascinating.
Cycling round the villages and long walks collecting shells along the spectacular beach were just lovely. The weather was great in June, so don't be put off visiting off season.
We were lucky on our first night visit to the beach to see the turtles, and less lucky on later attempts. We had mixed feelings about the turtle conservation project by the end, as the atmosphere of our visits depended very much on who from the project was managing the site and the way the other tourists treated the turtles (none of this has anything to do with Buckingham Place of course). It was truly magical when we did see the turtles on the first night, especially when they returned to the sea after laying their eggs - it felt like a glimpse into pre-history.
Overall, Buckingham Place was absolute bliss the whole of our five days there. Thanks so much to Nick and all the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
On behalf of everyone at Buckingham Place I send my sincere thanks for your lovely review. I also send our thanks for coming to stay with your daughter, who quite simply enchanted all of us; I can only understate what a wonderful credit she is to you.

I remember that throughout your stay you took every opportunity to explore and enjoy the best of Rekawa’s natural attributes. That you had the place all to yourselves pretty much is not unusual, but whether one is here on or off-season Rekawa is invariably quiet, peaceful and nature abounds. As you say, weather is (normally) great in June which for some reason is our off-season?!

Your generous, supportive review mentions every aspect of the hotel including my team whom as you know I respect immensely. Thank you for recognising them in your review, I have passed on your compliments this morning. You have also been very kind to me but, I’m not sure how much credit I should really take. All I know is that I couldn’t run this place without the tireless effort and fullest commitment of 33 Sri Lankans!

Please return to see us one day - I’m sure another visit would be just as memorable.

Warmest regards to you both from all of us. Nick.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before, but after choosing to stay at Buckingham Place based on reviews from this site, I thought it only fair to share my own delightful experience.

What can I say? Wow - what a place! It was the best holiday we have ever had, and after staying in fantastic hotels around the world, and having a social life that is based in hotels in the UAE (some of the best in the world), I feel very well equipped to make this statement.

Nick, the owner, is a fantastic host that was amazing from start to finish. He willing provided all information requested and more before booking, was flexible to all our requests and is organisation personified. He continued to be amazing throughout our stay and helped us with ideas for different activities and then organised them in such an efficient way. Most of all he provided excellent evening conversation and music!

One of the party was celebrating a special birthday, the reason for our trip, and Nick and his team really overwhelmed us with all the fuss that was made for her birthday. It really made for such a memorable day, and we were stunned again by how he went above and beyond, when it really was not expected.

He maintains a friendly yet professional attitude, and his flexibility and determination to make every guests’experience an individual one is phenomenal. His passion for what he does was evident at every stage, from booking our stay, every point during our stay, through to checking out, and it really made for the most fantastic holiday we have ever been on.

The team are a real credit to the hotel. We were so well looked after, and everything was done with a smile and such a positive attitude that it was infectious. They really made our stay very special.

The food was utterly divine – I cannot stop thinking about the croissants, the French toast breakfast and the different food we had every evening whilst staying at Buckingham Place! We have tried to recreate a number of dishes with little succes; I would willing book our next stay for the food alone, but as you can tell it is only one piece of a fantastic puzzle!

The restaurant area is beautiful and well thought out; I was so busy raving about the food I forgot to mention how much the setting contributes to the experience. Pre-dinner drinks and nibbles really get the appetite going, and it is so nice to have an opportunity to chat with the other guests, the team and Nick. You are given a table that becomes 'yours' for the stay, and it really makes you feel so much at home. It is decorated for every meal with beautiful local flowers, candles and is just lovely every time. You are able to choose the time you would like to eat, and select what you would like eat from the fantastic menu that changes on a daily basis. We were so excited every day to know what delights would be available on the menu; it got to the stage that we were asking about dinner at breakfast time, and would spend the whole day talking about it! All food was beautifully presented, was delicious, and you could even ask for more if you were still hungry, although that never happened - we were all fit to pop at the end of every meal!

The facilities are really lovely. People cannot quite understand how amazing it is to enter the gates of Buckingham Place, instantly relax until you have been and experienced it. The rooms are beautifully minimalistic, with stunning views and gorgeous bathrooms - I genuinely wanted to live in the bathtub! You can tell that Nick built the palce with real thought and attention to detail, and it results in a great experience.

The pool areas is beautiful, and the lovely Ginger only adds to that experience, and I cannot explain the raw beauty of the beach. I have never felt so close to paradise.

I cannot say enough about this place to make people understand what a gem it is. We plan to visit again soon, but it is not soon enough.

Thank you to Nick and his team for such an amazing experience that will become a treasured memory that we plan to repeat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Yesterday I could not imagine receiving a more rewarding accolade than your lovely email. Then, even before I had time to reply, or print and pin your letter to the notice board, today you have ‘gone public’ with this incredible review.

Simply, your detailed review and letter are exceptional in every conceivable way and therefore, on behalf of us all, I say thank you. Thank you very much indeed. The significance of what you have written both in your letter and review is deeply appreciated by me personally and I will now translate one or both for the team, they too should understand just how kind you have been and, their own contribution to your happy time with us.

Without hesitation I can say we all enjoyed your stay – you were all such great fun to host. Celebrating birthdays (we’re not allowed to use names in a reply) we take in our stride, but we do try to make each one unique! That you’ve had your best holiday ever at Buckingham Place is just... well... fabulous news!!

I really hope you all return – as you’ve now found out we’re not so far away. But, don’t wait for the next birthday and remember, next time we’ll get you in the kitchen to show you a few tricks, you can then eat properly between holidays!!

From all of us in Paradise – you were really great guests and your review is just overwhelming, thank you.

I send our warmest regards to you all, Nick.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Nick has a vision that is clearly apparent the moment you drive in through the gates greeted by his staff. Beautiful landscaped gardens with pool and open sided restaurant with huge modern accommodation fit for royalty overlooking a lake below. A short walk to a truly spectacular long sandy deserted beach where turtles come to lay their next generation.
The food is of a very high standard the daily changing menu offered adjusted to suit any taste. My wife had a birthday during our stay and was duly given treatment fit for a princess.
Apologies for not writing sooner Nick. We loved our stay and will be back. Many thanks to you and your staff.

• Stayed April 2012
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
From myself and on behalf of the Buckingham Place Team, thank you for your fabulous TripAdvisor review. That you still think warmly of us 6 months on from your stay is really great to know, please be assured that upon your return our welcome will be every bit as warm as it was back in April.

Being that your review is anonymous and without clues to its author, we are unable to say who has kindly supported us this time. However, our thanks and appreciation are no less genuine. We are all well aware of the value of good reviews and, as yours contributes equally towards our ongoing success it is just as valued and as valuable as all others.

You have complimented the hotel, its team and me most handsomely. Thank you for this but moreover thank you for coming, and being part of our early and very fortunate success!!

Thanks and best wishes from us all, Nick.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I couldn't speak more highly of Buckingham Place. The rooms are spacious and clean with amazing views across the lagoon, the food is definitely the best I have eaten in Sri Lanka, and Nick (the owner) and his staff are the extremely helpful without being intrusive. You can base yourself here and do day trips to the beaches in tangalle as well as to Uda Walawa or Yala, which Nick and his team will organise. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your ‘absolutely fantastic’ review, your compliments are almost too flattering but are certainly much appreciated! I’m really delighted you had such a good stay with us and that the hotel suited you so well.

Kind support through TripAdvisor clearly helps sustain what we do here in Rekawa. The confidence that a reviewer inspires in others means we can continue providing employment and development opportunities at this remote access location while, introducing travellers to a non-touristic part of the island.

Thank you; for choosing Buckingham Place, for your much valued custom and, for being great guests. From me and on behalf of the Team, thank you for your valuable review.

Please return to see us.....until then, Ayubowan.

Warm wishes, Nick.
Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

After a long drive from the airport, we received a lovely welcome to Buckingham Place which made the journey worthwhile. The room was enourmous with great style and a good view over the nearby lagoon. The beach was a very short walk away and absolutely stunning! My wife and I agreed it was easily in the top 5 beaches we've ever seen and certainly the best we found in Sri Lanka - and one night we also got to see a turtle laying it's eggs on the beach, amazing stuff. The only drawback was the sea was too rough for swimming but that's part of what makes it so stunning and Buckingham Place has a nice pool anyway so win, win. The food was delicious and the chef has a unique style - we particularly loved the Sri Lankan take on an English breakfast: chilli eggs with curried bacon; the rice & curry dinner was delicious too; as was the Lamprais. The local specialities require quite a bit of notice (3 hrs for rice & curry) so make sure you take that into consideration before mealtime, it's well worth the wait! Nick is a very charming owner and has created a very relaxed place for his guests. We told him we use Trip Advisor to help find great hotels but have never written a review to date - well Buckingham Place has forced our hand; a special place, a great find well worth travelling the extra mile for; and amazing value for what it is. We hope to return one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamplace, Owner at Buckingham Place, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I was thrilled to read your review this morning, especially because the hotel and what we try hard to do here has inspired you to write a review for the very first time. Thank you very much it is a really terrific review - clearly you posses a hidden talent!

You have accurately captured the essence of the hotel, thoughtfully and eloquently; complimenting every aspect at and around Buckingham Place. This is tremendously helpful for those in search of a place to stay this coming season, as it is quite obviously for us too – we need guests to sustain the hotel!

For the last two years, guest support via TripAdvisor has provided an unexpected dimension in terms of job satisfaction or rather, job happiness. As a new hotelier with no prior knowledge of this forum I had no notion that guests might be so supportive of mine and my team’s endeavour. I take this opportunity to thank you and all others who have been so helpful and kind to date. I also say, please come back to see us – you’ll always be welcomed warmly at Buckingham Place.

On behalf of us all I send our warmest regards and, sincere thanks for choosing then supporting us this way. Nick.
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wow, it is only now that we are unfortunately back home that we really appreciate how great our stay at Buckingham Palace as we call it, was. The rooms are large,decorated beautifully, the bathrooms to die for and there is nothing you could want that isn't there. Nick I love the phone, what a great idea. The food was sensational and your staff were always smiling, very charming and great service. We highly recommend you come and try this great hotel. It is the little things and eye for detail, also making you feel more at home than at a strange place that really struck us. Also Ginger the resident horse is a great ambassador and attraction. Thank you all and we highly recommend you.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent upstairs have great views.