“Good and bad” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Marakolliya, Tangalle 82200 , Sri Lanka   |
Lincolnshire
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I booked a superior deluxe room which was spacious, well appointed, nicely decorated, modern and had 2 large balconies. The bathroom was also huge. Very clean, lots of wardrobe space, room safe and tea and coffee. Room had ceiling fan and air conditioning and was well lit. The bed was king size and very comfortable. The room was in a new wing which is still being finished.

The Big Crocodile Beach Restaurant served very good food at a very good price. Service was also good, if I'm being picky I'd prefer the music to be turned off in the evening as it became a bit loud with diners competing to be heard over the music. There are a handful of tables on the sand if you want to get further away from the speakers.

The beach restaurant wasn't as good. I had 1 disappointing evening meal there. Very small portions. Breakfast was served here which was a shame as I'd prefer a sea view. Breakfast was buffet style and cold as there was no heat under the food containers. You need to specify if you don't want alot of salt in the omelette. The Sri Lanka coffee at breakfast was very nice though.

The swimming pool had the hint of a scum line around it so I wasn't convinced of the cleanliness. The few sunbeds there were had dirty covers. A sign states there is a charge to hire a pool towel yet there was no-one around to get a towel from.

Lastly do not use the hotel laundry. I had to hand mine in at reception (a hut in the car park). It took 48 hours to get it back after chasing several times. There was a tie missing from my linen trousers so they would no longer fasten and a button missing from another pair of trousers. A day later the missing items had still not been found. On closer inspection the clothes were still dirty. They had been ironed but I'm not convinced they'd been washed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lagoonparadise, Public Relations Manager at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for leaving us your feedback on your stay with us .We appreciate you writing to us and it is my pleasure to read the positive feedback given about us .

Thank you for bringing us your concerns to our attention and we have made sure necessary actions have been taken place .Kindly you wrote in detail about every aspect of the hotel that pleased you. Your review provides useful insight for fellow travellers, helps us sustain the business .

While we strive to provide the best to out guest , our team is ready to go beyond and facilitate you with the required . It is absolutely on the request we could always arrange the preferred place for your breakfast and generally it is served at the Lagoon Restaurant. I am sure you did not bring it to the attention of the restaurant staff.

Concerning about your laundry , there is always a laundry bag placed in each guest room along with a laundry sheet for your facility . House keeping team is well educated on the regular laundry procedures. Please accept our sincere apology on the delay that occurred in the delivery of your laundry .

I’m not too sure how we will sustain guest satisfaction to such a high degree but, I can guarantee we’ll never stop trying to and strive to provide the best to our discerning guests . . Thank you, I and the team are suitably humbled.

We look forward to welcoming you at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort and we shall make sure we assure we provide you the best and a pleasantly memorable stay .

Dines Premarathna

Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had a great 4days in Lagoon Paradise after 3weeks backpacking around Sri Lanka.Just only one things I promise to my second half I will wrote and it's about how the young lads(restaurant, pool guys, room guys)stareing but literally stareing!!! on woman, make my girlfriend quite incomfortable.
Otherwise I had no problem but I understand from woman point of view....

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

My sincere apology on the uncomfortable situation taken place and this is very concerning for us and this is obviously not what Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort stands for .

I can understand your emotional encounter . This is the very first time we have been receiving such a comment about the departmental staff and we have always been complemented for their courtesy and the best conducted attitude and extended friendliness from the guest circle .
The resort has been patronized by well traveled discerning guests from every nook and corner of the world from its opening to the public .

However, on a very strong apparent note we have addressed the staff on your concerns and they were well educated on such and we make sure constant training on guest courtesy and necessary will be taken place and we shall avoid such in the future.

We deeply apologize you on this and Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort is more than happy to welcome you again and extend our courteous services to you .

Ko Samui, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We planned to stay in Lagoon Paradise Beach after a two week round trip for relaxing, massages etc. before getting back home. This was a complete fail. Despite the description there was neither a Spa and Wellness area nor a massage available - only after pre-ordering for the next day. The sea was extremely rough - swimming therefor impossible - though the beach was clean and we even could see a turtle laying eggs in a sandhole. However the hotel is in the middle of nowhere.
We had decided for a cabana - so the following dös not apply for standard room. The cabana we had was very dirty, the A/C was working every now and then. We also didn't like the food offered in the Big Crocodile Restaurant - not to compare with the food we had in all other places - probably too hard trying to meet everybodies preferences. The bed in the cabana was very hard due to a thin mattrass lying on stone. The Cabanas are lying towards the lagoon, which is very helpfull as it is quiet there in comparison to the beachfront. The pool was also nice and clean, although the sunlounges were mostly damaged and dirty (mildew?)
Last but not least - we asked for laundry service; amongst our clothes also a t-shirt with a buddah-print on it. A few days before inn Polonnaruwa we were tought, that it is forbidden to wear this in Sri Lanka (whereas it is very common in Thailand, where we bought it). Surely we respect any local habits therefore none of us wore the t-shirt!!! We just wanted the t-shirt to be cleaned. We had to discuss longly to have the t-shirt returned.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ko Samui,

Thank you for taking your time to write us your review about your stay with us and I paid a very careful read through it . I am glad you enjoyed the location and the services of the hotel .

This could purely must have been taken place due to the miscommunication. Hotel does not comprise of a modern state of the art Spa and it is well communicated to all our guests on their arrival of the Spa procedure. Therapist could always be called upon an early booking and it should be generally booked at least 5 hours prior in order to avoid disappointments . However, there will be a luxury Ayurverdic Spa established in the hotel near future which we are totally looking forward to .

As we all know , we never can predict how big or low the tides could hit and sea is generally rough during November and December . Things could have been much easier and enjoyable for you if you could have checked on your preferred weather during the time of travel to Tangalle .

Sun lounges and the mattress have been replaced and also there is a safety fence built against the pool to provide much safe to guest and improvement will continue to take place .

Regrettably, staff have only advised you kindly on consequences you could face by wearing the Tshirt that carries an image of Lord Buddha which is well considered as the most sacred icon of the 80 % of the population in this country . It is considered as disrespectful to wear such in public and I am sure staff has been trying to convince you on the concerns. I strongly believe you understand this religious concerns and it is very advisable to be aware of the procedures and facts of the country you travel to avoid certain hassles.

We thank you very much for your stay with us .

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Even though this hotel is quite large, it has the feel of a boutique hotel or something a bit more barefoot.

The rooms are massive - lovely high ceilings, whitewashed walls and cool, polished concrete floors with huge beds made up with very crisp white sheets. The terraces are huge too - with enough banana palms dotted around to make them feel secluded and to give you a view of the wild lizards, chipmunks, tropical birds and wild peacocks that stroll casually around the grounds.

The pool is decent (but they need more sunbeds), and everything is spotlessly clean. The hotel also has kayaks that you can hire for half the price you'd pay in town, and you can take them out, straight from the breakfast room, onto the lagoon for a day of monitor lizard and wild monkey spotting.

There's a quirky concrete bridge linking the hotel to one of the most beautiful and unspoilt beaches I've ever seen, with nothing but a couple of driftwood-built seafood shacks that serve the best fresh prawns I've ever eaten and a fisherman's hut. It is worth noting that the sea in this part of SL is very powerful with rip tides and strong undercurrents, so not suitable for your average swimmer.

Breakfast is included, and although (as is common in this part of the world) the western dishes don't translate very well, it's a great opportunity to try something new and the chef does delicious Sri Lankan omelettes with pandan leaves and green chillies to order. There's also a lovely selection of traditional Sri Lankan breakfast dishes, fresh fruit and yummy coconut pancakes. The coffee wasn't too bad either.

It's a short three-wheeler ride into town, a stones throw to the beach and less than a stones throw to the lagoon. Absolutely breath taking location, which I cannot fault.

The staff, as usual in SL, were super friendly and always seem to fancy a chat. Some other guests found the service a little slow, but I suspect this had more to do with the relaxing nature of their work environment than having a bad attitude, and I challenge you to rush to do anything after you've been here for a few days. We were only meant to stay for two days but ended up staying for five. One of the nicest places I've been.

Room Tip: Just pick a room, any room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

What a review!!

I am so impressed to read your beautiful comment elaborated about our resort and I am so touch and privileged to read it . Yes indeed, Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort is all about providing the best and giving the unparallelled , customer oriented service. I am glad everything has been perfectly fallen .

I’m honestly flattered by your kind enthusiasm and, I’m always humbled to read the word ‘perfect’ in a guest review – even more so when repeated!

Your review of the hotel generously praises all aspects of it and what we do and, it will certainly encourage more visitors to come. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and found everything to your liking - and perfectly so - thank you very much for telling us and so many others.

We look forward to welcoming you at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort in the near future and [promising you a memorable stay again with us .

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Booked this hotel via Agoda whilst in Sri Lanka for the following day. Wasn't sure what to expect but the room was modern, clean and spacious. Great wet room, large bed, very clean, large balcony overlooking the pool. Slight downside was the air con unit which we couldn't get to stop blowing directly onto us. Also no wifi in rooms but we quite liked that.
Hotel is on a lagoon, which you cross via footbridge to a fantastic and deserted beach. Miles and miles of sand for as far as you can see either side. Beautiful.
The Restaurant was good, not over-priced and staff were friendly and helpful. Only a few other hotels nearby, all tastefully done and if you are looking for quiet, beautiful beach and peace this is the place for you. Very good value, would definitely recommend and would go there again. Probably the best hotel we stayed in whilst in Sri Lanka, especially at that price (I think we paid £56 per night incl breakfast which was a buffet style, very good).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you for staying with us and I am thrilled to hear that you had enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and enjoyed Tangalle at its best !

We always pay a high attention to details and yet make sure nothing is overpriced and affordable for every single guest walk in .

Tangalle is awaiting to welcome you again and please do write to us before you arrive , I shall make sure we will have lots of pleasant surprises for you in our store.

Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is a beautiful place to spend time in. Facilities, location, people are all extraordinary. Resort is new and beautifully appointed. The site is covered from the blustering wind, only half a kilometre away. It has a narrow channel of water, crossed by a bridge, a sandy beach and the glorious Indian Ocean (or is it the awesome Pacific Ocean?). Palms and green vegetation spread as far as the eye can see. People are smiling, helpful and doing their jobs very well. Reception is courteous and efficient. Food is on par with the rest of the resort. I was lucky enough to have a big, comfortable and very well appointed room on the upper level. The view was awe-inspiring. Wi-Fi works well in the designated area. Pool is clean and quite big. Ayurvedic massage is available. It sounds like I am writing advertising for this place, but I found it really quite agreeable.

Room Tip: Try if at all possible to get a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued guest,

Impressive !!! We at Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort sending you a big thank to you on your impressive review about us and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every bit of your stay with us . Yes it is our ultimate goal to make your stay memorable and make you coming back to experience what this lovely resort has in its store for you to offer .

Yes , why not you are making a absolutely an outstanding marketing platform to LPBR and fellow travelers will most definitely be making their way towards us . Thank you again for your review.
Since the resort is at its final stages of the development projects we are looking forward to finish the areas asap and yet the construction work that make interruptible noises have already been done and only few touch ups are remained. Cannot wait to see the end product!!!

To provide our discerning guest an impeccable , memorable stay with us we strive everyday !!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our signature and international dishes at LPBR !.
I thank you again on a very personal note and we look forward to welcoming you at LPBR again and should you find anything that matters please bring it our attention and we make sure we have an instant solution for you!

Ciao !!!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We lived in a lagoon cabana close to the pool. The room was nice and spacious. It had a calm surrounding and the only thing you could hear during night was the sound of waves from the ocean. We only had a small problem with some ants that loved to spend time in our bathroom. The staff made their best to get rid of them. The pool was clean and nice swimming in. There was a buffé as breakfast where you could get a freshly made omelet and fresh fruit as well as typical sri lankan breakfast dishes. This hotel is not situated in the centre of Tangalle which means that there was almost none on the beach (only 2 salesmen). Along the beach there was also other nice places to eat lunch and dinner. The beach is very nice but not the ideal place to bring children, because of high waves and strong currents, if you don't want to spend a lot of time by the pool. A place we strongly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Valued Guest!

Here comes a big thank fro m all of us , it has been our absolute pleasure to serve and make your stay recalling and remembered right through!

We make sure those tiny ants who love to reside in the bath room are eradicated and it is mostly due to the thick forest around and been a widely discussed topic for us to eliminate this However I ,am glad HK team took the necessary steps to help you out.

Apparently, there is a best time that makes you enjoy Tangalle at its best and during the stormy seasons it is of course very advisable not to do a sea bath ! Hope you would make it during the time of August - November where the sea would welcome you for a peaceful bath ..

Everyone loves Sri Lankan cuisines! Yes we aware it is little more spicy ! Glad again you enjoyed it !

Thank you again for selecting LPBR as your preferred holiday gateway and we are looking forward to welcome you at LPBR again!

Business Development Manager

Been to Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort? Share your experiences!