“Feel home fare from home” 5 of 5 stars

Rocky Point Beach Bungalows
| Goyambokka, Tangalle, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Tangalle
Berlin, Germany
“Feel home fare from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

We planned to stay only for a few days. At the end we stayed 4 weeks.
Thanks you guys.
Special thanx from Bela to the gecko crew, Manuli and the "dangerous dogs" ;-).
Yes it was hot in the bugalows at night but who cares if you can sit outside
and enjoy the peaseful place on top of the beaches.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

This is a beautiful yoga center with secluded quiet beaches all around. Only a 8 minute walk away was a sandy paradise beach with almost no one on it. Great Yoga, delicious Rice and Curry, and a friendly welcoming staff greeted me.

I have read the other two reviews about Rocky Point Beach Bungalows (home of Ashtanga Lanka) and I want to say that my experience was the COMPLETE opposite. The people who wrote those reviews must have been there after the yoga season. Between November and March I am pretty sure there is a thriving community of yogis from around the world.

April can also be the hottest and most humid month of the year in Sri Lanka. There was a fan in my room but no air conditioning so I can understand that they were hot. Also, when there are very few guests around I can imagine that wild dogs of the area roam free around the jungle and can probably be annoying.

I would happily recommend this retreat to all my friends.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This place is a disgrace to all genuine hotel owners. The people who own it are simply renting out substandard dirty overheated rooms to fund there own private lifestyle. They do not have any care or consideration for their guests whatsover---in fact they are considered a nuisance. There is not one redeeming factor I can mention. Unruly wild dogs that attack guests,rocky unusable beach,hot uncomfortable rooms and rude owners.

Stayed March 2010
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

This "resort" has two seprate entries on Trip Advisor. I already wrote one on the other entry. But, just in case, I want to reiterate that this place was a complete disappointment. There was supposed to be yoga, but there was not. The owner was rude and made us feel unwelcome. The rooms were so hot I could not breath. There were wild dogs on the property that attacked one of my friends. The staff was nice, but the bad outweighed the good. The food there is also good, but hard to enjoy if everything else is bad. It also took way too long to get there from the airport. There are many other places to stay in Sri Lanka - avoid this one!

• Stayed March 2010
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

The owners were rude, the "resort" if you can call it that, was not comfortable. The rooms were so hot I could not breath. The staff was nice but because the owners made you feel like you were unwelcome there, the staffs niceness was not as prominent as it should have been. There were wild dogs on the property. Some of them attacked my friend. The people at the resort said to beat them with a stick or knee them! There are so many other places in Sri Lanka to go to...do not go to this one!

• Stayed March 2010
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I stayed here for a few ngihts in the off season and loved it. I stayed in a bungalow, which is very comfortable, clean, and spacious, with a lovely front porch. Samantha, the owner/manager is very friendly, very helpful, and an all around nice guy. The food is exceptional - consistently the best I had in Sri Lanka and with a lot more variety than you find elsewhere. You can eat fish just caught by local fishermen. You eat on an outdoor terrace with a view of the sea.The beach is small, but very pretty with some dramatic rocks and is shared with very friendly fishermen (some of whom I went out with for a few hours). Other beaches are within walking distance. The water is a little rough during the monsoon, but I was told quite calm in high season. The guest house has sea kayaks. For temple buffs, Mulkirigala is wonderful and definitely worth the trip- it's Dambulla without the crowds.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

I found Rocky Point after reading a tip from a guest who'd had an ambivalent experience at the neighbouring Palms Paradise Resort. My parter and I booked for 5 nights in November 2007. It was just the end of the low season and we were the only guests. we were made to feel so welcome and almost felt like we were a part of the family! The owners are an American couple who spend some months of the year on site. The place is competently managed and run by a team of kind and obliging locals.

Rocky Point has a strong emphasis on Yoga. They have a yoga studio on site. Unfortunately the Yoga teacher wasn't around during our stay.

Our private bungalow was simple but very comfortable. There is no hot water in the bathrooms, and no A/C but the weather is generally warm enough for a cool shower to be pleasant and refreshing (especailly after an early morning swim in the sea), and fans, polished concrete flooring and natural ventilation kept the bungalow comfortably cool. My only gripe with the accommodation would be that proper sheets aren't provided for the beds. They have instead kind of cotton bed covers. Next time I stay, I'm actually tempted to take my own linen to make sleeping a bit more comfortable.

Food was an absolute highlight. The nightly rice and curry was delicious, especially when washed down with a local beer. We also ate locally caught panfried kingfish one night which was absolutely sensational in its freshness and simplicity. The kitchen staff were happy to chat and make recommendatons for meals and seem to be happy to take requests for things not on the menu. Food prices were very very reasonable and quantities enormous!

Rocky Point staff are happy to call up a Tuk Tuk for trips into town or to nearby temples etc.

Rocky point doesn't have a beach of its own (the name is a bit of a giveaway as to its location). However there is a choice of fairly quiet public beaches on either side. To the left is a relatively sheltered beach in front of Palm Paradise and to the right, 10 minutes over the hill, is the beautiful palm fringed beach that the huge (and seemingly almost always deserted) Aman resort sits on. It was with a slight sense of inward gloating that we sat on this beautiful beach - the same beach that Aman guest were paying over 10 times as much to enjoy. Yet somehow, I think our experience at Rocky Point was far more authentic, relaxing and enjoyable than being cocooned in the rarified air of a megaresort like Aman. Even though we can probably almost afford to stay at Aman, next time I'm back in the south of Sri Lanka, I'l lbe heading straight to Rocky Point again.

• Liked — Location. Warm Staff. Food. Fireflies in the garden at night
  • Disliked — It's a loooong drive down from Colombo.
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rocky Point Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!