“Terrible service,ruined the beautiful location” 2 of 5 stars

You added Ganesh Garden Cabanas to your Saves list
Ganesh Garden Cabanas
Madilla Beach, Tangalle, Sri Lanka   |
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service,ruined the beautiful location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Ganesh cabanas is undeniably located in a beautiful part of Tangalla which is by far the most beautiful beach Iv seen in Sri Lanka... But my experience was ruined by the rude,aggressive and pretty pretentious attitude of staff and particularly the manager...Sri Lankan people are generally so warm and friendly but the staff here seem to think that one Tripadvisor award means they don't need to try anymore with their new customers... I only stayed one night after the constant harassment from management about why me and my partner didn't eat dinner at their place the evening before,why we were leaving etc... I was pretty shocked also when I asked a waiter for a menu when I arrived and was pointed to across the room to go fetch it myself....for the most expensive accommodation in Tangalla,it's hardly the welcome I thought I would be getting... The location is stunning and the gardens are well kept,but the customer service taints that...

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Rude, arrogant and aggressive is a better description.

The impression location of the venue is destroyed by the rude and arrogant staff at Ganesh. To describe why I thought this...

- Orders for food (or tea) take at least 90 mins
- The owner asked our driver to leave the venue as he was informing us about other locations in Sri Lanka (which weren't Ganesh)
- The NY celebration went from a chilled party on the beach to the local hangout for revellers that had had too much drink & drugs til 6am
- Rooms dirty and cleaned once a week

Do yourself a favour and try somewhere else

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed some days in tangalle @ ganesh garden and really enjoyed it.
the hut was clean and nice in a palm garden.
the food was very good and the service excellent.
the staff was very nice and very helpful with organisation of scooter, driver, day trips etc....
you have direct access to the beach with hammocks to relax.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Actually I am writing right from the Ganesh garden, we where supposed to stay here just one night but we extended our stay captured by the super chilled vibe and the beauty of the place. All the cabanas are hidden in a beautiful palm garden right on the beach where squirrels play. Our cabana was clean and very cozy. The staff is chilled and very professional. The bar / restaurant is very good and shows a beautiful natural architecture as all the place, nothing to share with the mangroves one where we've been yesterday: too much touristy and made to be liked by european tourists.
Best choice in tangalla.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We nearly stayed one week in ganesh garden and it was beautiful. When you want calm down, it is perfect. The beach is nice, the restaurant ist good. It take a little time to get your meal, but we are on holiday. The cabanas is build out of nature thinks, the beds are comftable.
The people in ganesh garden were very friendly. My wife was ill in these days and the ganesh people bring us to pharmacy an bring the foot in our cabanas. Thank you for that.

The cabanas cost now 40, 50 and 60 US Dollar. The prices for die meals are normal standard for Sri Lanka, the drinking is all little bit more than in mirissa or unawatuna.

We were also here on new years day and I am wondering about the two last comments ("Horrible"). At every night was totally quiet in ganesh garden. At december, 31th it was a great new years day party. About 300 people made a big party at the beach and in at the restaurant of ganesh garden. And at 3.30 a.m. it was quiet, not at 5.30 a.m. And there was no loud music. But for all the people it was no problem, because it was new years day !!! Everybody had a nice party, O.K., except of two people.

We come here, because a friend of mine in Frankfurt, Germany, recommend ganesh garden.
And it is the same paradise, they told us.

schelli from frankfurt

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This has been by far the worst place I have ever stayed in, coming into the site the gardens and beach are lovely and the niceness ends there. We stayed on New years eve night, little did we know that this guest house also serves as a nightclub on the 31st of December, we almost got beaten up for asking to turn down the music at 5:30 am, What a horrible way to begin our new year !

The hut itself was very dirty, with little light coming in and the staff never come in to clean it. As for the restaurant, well you better order your breakfast and lunch together as your lunch could very well take 2-3 hours to be served to you and this is with no one else there so i am not quite sure what they were busy with.

Save yourself the time , trouble and money and go next door!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bethanne95
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights leading up to New Year's Eve during a 2 week tour of Sri Lanka, and I'm sorry to say that we received the worst customer service here that I've encountered almost anywhere (and we travel extensively and worked in customer service for 15+ years). It was very obvious that the management cares only about earning money, and not about providing good customer service.

We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but it ended up being 2. When we checked in, the manager said something to the effect of "You are so lucky you got this room at the price you did ($45) because I could sell it now for much more." We laughed, and said yes, we booked early and were happy about the price. Fast forward to our 3rd day, which was New Year's Eve. The manager approached us at breakfast and said that he thought we wouldn't be very happy staying there that night because there was going to be a very loud party with a DJ going until 6am the next morning, and our room was basically right next to the restaurant where the music would be. I found this unfortunate, because they should have told us this when we made the reservation, and I obviously would have chosen to stay elsewhere. We're in our mid-thirties, and enjoy a good time as much as anyone, but we were focused on relaxing during this trip and didn't love the idea of a DJ outside our room until sunrise.

So the manager tried to convince us to move to a separate cabana at another soon-to-be-built hotel down the road, that was in the middle of a construction zone with trash everywhere. Not okay. This is when is also became very apparent that they wanted us out of our room so they could rebook it at a much higher price and try to sell more tickets to their NYE party (we were opting not to by the tickets). The manager even said, "You need to let us know if you're checking out so we can rebook your room." Also not okay. So, we proceeded to spend half of our last day in Tangalle looking for a new room so we could sleep that night, which we eventually found (the wonderful little Eagles Nest Cabanas). As we were packing up, the owner had the nerve to approach us and say "You need to hurry up, I'm losing money." I couldn't believe he would be so rude, but he was. The whole situation was handled very, very poorly and believe me, I'm about the most patient and forgiving person there is.

A few other notes: when we checked in, the toilet seat was broken and just resting on the toilet, and fell off every time you tried to use it. We reported this twice and they never fixed it during our visit. And, as others have mentioned, the food here is not good and overpriced. We asked for a little more sauce for our watery plate of pasta and were told no, that's not available. My husband asked for cheese in his omelet, and was told that's not part of the set breakfast menu, he'd have to order everything a la carte and at a much higher price if he wanted cheese. Again, just an example of the poor customer service here.

It saddens me to write this since we were really looking forward to our stay here and writing bad reviews is not my thing -- it's my first :( -- but I wanted to report what happened to us and how were were treated by Ganesh Gardens management so others can make informed decisions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ganesh Garden Cabanas? Share your experiences!