“Great room, good value. Food so-so” 3 of 5 stars

Eden Garden Hotel
Sigiriya Road | Inamaiuwa, Dambulla, Sigiriya, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sigiriya
Penistone, England, United Kingdom
“Great room, good value. Food so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a complex of chalet style rooms. Quite traditional but large rooms and comfortable enough. We didn't experience any of the problems in other reviews. No insects and the best shower of the whole trip with bags of hot water - and the room was very clean.
However the food was only average with not much choice, chicken soup only tepid - bit dangerous in this climate. Wasn't keen on the colour of the omelette when it was served - black residue from the pan, indicating dirty oil.
Cheapest hotel of the trip at £40 half board.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel was booked for us as part of a two day tour. On first appearances the hotel looked quite acceptable, although we began to feel a little out of our comfort zone when we were taken to the hotel room to find bats flying in the main corridor and the partition between the corridor and bedroom was constructed of frosted glass with a poor lock on the door - there was a curtain in place to draw straight across the partition. On the back of the door was a sign saying BEWARE OF MONKEYS - KEEP DOORS AND WINDOWS CLOSED. We had arrived late and wanted a quick shower before dinner. The bathroom was uninviting and quite dirty - there was no hot water to have a shower and the water only dribbled out of the shower head. Skipping the shower, we went down for the buffet dinner. Table clothes were dirty and the meal was barely warm - Lion beer also much more expensive that our 'base' hotel. On arriving back to our room, some sort of flying insects over 1cm long had managed to get in (even though doors and windows were closed) after dealing with about a dozen we braved the two single beds (pushed together to appear a double) and tried to sleep, however the noise of the rain on the roof made this very difficult. The following morning we thought the water may be hot for a shower, but again just a dribble of cold water, and worst of all the bathroom sink was covered with hundreds of ants eating the big flying insects which had managed to enter the room overnight, also the shower base was full of loads of the big flying insect, which were dead - needless to say we swerved the shower yet again. Breakfast was buffet style and again barely warm - had to wait for eggs to be cooked as the cook was clearing tables - eggs/omelette were not appetising, the pan was not clean and left a black residue on the food. Table clothes were still dirty and ants crawling over tea cups. All in all, this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We had a poor nights sleep and felt dirty.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Kandy, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Please read whole story before selecting this irritating place. I am a one of victim. I don't want you to be the same.

It was little dark when we headed to sigiriya and they knew that we are struggling to find a hotel. What they did was they showed me room charges which they have been using for foreigners. I am a local and litterally we know that prices are differ for locals and foreigners. After a considerable negotiation they took local rate list (before they pointed me dollar rates)out and I asked for 3 rooms with half board. (2D and 1T) Then the manager come and told me to make the payment right now. I told him that how it could happen because normally we are settle bill during check out.
Then the encounter started. They purposely delayed our dinner. Served total dinner in partly wise for 4 times in 45 minutes. The manager, he is totally a you tube fan doesn't even come to us and asked about delayed dinner. He was with handsfree by connecting to youtube and face book when we were waitng for dinner. Once all dinner served he come to us and asked about the dinner. I clearly told him i was totally dissapointed about the delay and food. He just went away by arguing with me this is what we served everyone and did not tell even sorry. I reallised that he is a unqualified guy who has not got a single idea about hospitality rather than Facebook and you tube.
We got two drivers and they gave shared quarters for them. Hotel people were so harsh to served salty food for our drivers too. I heard one foreigners came on that day complain to management about food and accomodation porvided for their local guides. She was too angry about it. Then management apologised to her and took corrective action to that pertiular guide but not for our drivers.
They built all their rooms unnecessarly big so rooms are hot and smelly. Applicable a/c machines cannot provide enough cool to balance the temperature of those rooms. Be careful using beds because we noticed lots of dust on linnen. When I woke up in the next morning I noticed that used dusty and smelly water being come out from the drain mouth and bathroom is flooded. Same thing happened in one of other two rooms as well.I called reception imediately to do somthing as i was with my wife and 5 month old kid. They sent two room boys after 10 minutes. They wiped out all dusty water and just put sanitisor and walked away. I told them I cannot used relevant bath room anymore then they opened another room for me to use bath room. That Youtube fellow doesn't even come to me and say sorry specially because of my kid. We felt in to a deep trouble and inconvenience by choosing this place. I decided to write whole my experience because I wanted to point out why I am not recomended this place. If you are a local be alert when go through room price list. Do not follow dollar rates. And if you are a foreigner check room condition before you check in.You can't over react after check in. There are lots of flies in dinning area, no hot water in bath rooms, slow water pressure and smelling water sometimes. Their foods and liquor prices are unnecessarily high. If you need to stay near by hotels in seegiriya, there are lots of cheap and well served places than this ugly and dirty place. When I looking for a place for 2nd day stay in seegiriya I realised it very well. This could happen to you as well.Try to get maximum return and value for your money and visit.

By a conversation I had with one of worker there, he told me that the owner of this place is in abroad and his uncle taking care this place. Owner was pretty good but these people are ruining hotel now.Present taking carer doesn't treat with a single smile to clients. He is behaving like a rich person always. Forgot one thing. As they are not change water in swimming pool regularly, they are being added high amount of clorine in it. Be careful when using swimming pool as it could damage your skin and eyes.

Thanks for reading. I don't recommend this place to you anynore even this is cheapest. They didn't make a single impression than all dissapoinments. You might think why I didn't argue with them. I do not want fell in to ther class or level anymore. But please do not do the blunder i did. I am talking very much responsible voice.

Room Tip: - Rooms are average (all I seen)
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Cowes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

Stayed overnight in order to visit Sigiriya early morning. Excellant reception on arrival and managed to get a large 4 person family room B&B at the right price. Very clean and all working. Evening meal was fresh, excellant Sri Lankan curry vegge and meat, enjoyed by all and well priced. Got up early to visit the rock before it got too hot and made it back for last orders for breakfast which was again excellant, nothing was too much trouble. Enjoyed the pool for a couple of hours after checking out. Would definately reccomend

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights here as Dambulla and Sigiriya are close by. The staff were friendly helpful and polite. The shower in the first room was a pathetic dribble but they moved us to another room where the shower was improved but still low pressure. The rooms are large and spacious with high ceilings and a balcony giving great views of the gardens and pool which was clean and great for a swim and cool off. We ate a good breakfast and evening meals with Lion beer there from the western and local menu. Very quiet as it's a 15 min Tuk to Dambulla with only a couple of small shops and a Batik factory shop nearly next door.

Room Tip: First floor with balcony overlooking pool
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

We stayed at Eden Garden Hotel for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. The staff were very pleasant and keen to interact with the guests. The hotel was very clean and the pool area was kept immaculate. Room was spacious, with air conditioning and a clean bathroom with hot water. First place we could buy a bottle of wine in a while too! Great value, I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Sigiriya to climb the rock.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014 via mobile

The staff were really nice, friendly and courteous.

Food was great, really tasty Sri Lankan curries, and excellent breakfast

Rooms were lovely and clean. Hot water in the showers and effective air conditioning.

It was nice to have a swim in the pool to cool off!

Drinks were reasonably priced.I would recommend this place to stay

• Stayed October 2014

Been to Eden Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!