We spent two nights at the Chaaya Citadel following our stay at the Chaaya Village in Habarama (which seemed to be the done thing as we saw the same people at both hotels). The hotel is not actually in Kandy, but about 6km outside in a lovely setting on the banks of the river. The bar/lounge area is on the ground floor overlooking the pool and the river beyond. The restaurant is on the first floor directly above the lounge/bar with the same view. The setting is delightful.
Our room was large with a big bed and rather snazzy bathroom with big shower (no bath) and black tiles on the walls. Overall clean apart from the large partly decomposed cockroach just near the shower by the wall on the floor which had obviously gone unnoticed for some time (a combination of the disadvantage of black tiles and a cleaner in a hurry perhaps?).
On our second (and final) night we returned to our room to find the most beautiful decoration on our bed with leaves, rose petals and two swans forming a heart shape where they met all fashioned out of towels. It truly was a work of art.
The restaurant was large and very busy with the usual buffet help yourself style food. Unlike the Chaaya Village the food was more international and, while including plenty of Sri Lankan curry dishes, also had the likes of cottage pie and roast potatoes! We were on the all inclusive package and again, as with the Chaaya Village, had to sign for every single drink. We stuck to beer and cocktails as in our experience the quality of wine in all inclusives tends to be pretty dreadful. This was confirmed by others in our group.
Two or three power cuts occurred which are quite common in this part of the world, but fortunately in each case power was restored after a few minutes.
This hotel had a slightly faster pace to it than the Chaaya Village - although to put this into context, it was still pretty laid back compared to a large western city hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and we had a very enjoyable stay. We had to leave very early for our flight and they made up a packed breakfast for us.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel Kandy
- Chaaya Citadel Hotel Kandy
- Kandy Chaaya Citadel Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sweeping green hills, the longest river in the country, misty mornings and the fresh outdoors, are just a few things that naturally come together here to make the perfect holiday. Just 2 1/2 hours from the Sri Lanka's Capital City Colombo, Chaaya Citadel Kandy has reinvented itself taking into account the needs of holidaymakers around the world. Replete with a sense of history, serenity and majesty, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to experience the amazing Kandyan history, the culture and the arts that play a big role in the lives of the Sri Lankans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Cinnamon Citadel Kandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.