“Fantastic new hotel - great value, service and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Travellers Nest

You added Hotel Travellers Nest to your Saves list
Hotel Travellers Nest
117/4/1/1 Anagarika Dharmapala Mawatha | Opp Buwelikada Fuel Station, Kandy 20000, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #48 of 206 Kandy B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic new hotel - great value, service and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Although this hotel is very new and so didn't have many reviews, we still thought we'd go ahead and good as it looked fantastic and the price was reasonable. We were SO glad we did.

It's a very high-standard hotel with brand new, high-spec rooms. It was about 10 minute walk into town (we stopped at the Slightly Chilled Bar on the way - highly recommended) from the hotel so convenient for getting to the Temple of the Tooth by 9am to see the ceremony.

The room itself was large with a very comfy bed, good Wifi access and a good bathroom. There was a wardrobe, safe and dressing table, plus bottled water and clean glasses.

We were greeted with fresh juice when we arrived and the food at breakfast was a variety of local dishes, bread and toast, pastries and fresh fruit with tea, coffee, fruit juice etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Kandy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floor as our room was fairly close to reception and we could har peop...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is near to the Sri Dalada maligawa and was quite convenient for us. We walked to the Maligawa and to the town as well. The rooms were very clean and with enough towels and huge mirrors. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable with best quality. The sleep quality here was unmatchable. We did not take any meals from here since the town was near and there were many pastry shops outside. The staff are very friendly and polite. Specially the grownup guy in the reception. It was a very nice stay there!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I really enjoyed my seven nights here. The hotel was clean and attractive, the staff were attentive and friendly. My room, although small, was perfect as I was travelling alone. It had a big comfy double bed, wifi in the room so I could work and a bathroom that, although a touch small, was very nice and the shower was excellent. There was a safe in the wardrobe too.

The location was ideal for me as I was travelling to Pallekele each day (20mins taxi for 500Rs) and I could walk into the centre of Kandy in 20 mins (just over a mile).

There was a good spread at breakfast, which I generally like to be as Western as possible, so tea and toast was perfect. And I had a delicious chicken curry and steamed rice (900 Rs) in my only night in the restaurant.

The minuses were only minor. There weren't any coat hangers in wardrobe and I would have liked more space to hang towels. And the room wasn't cleaned all week, which didn't bother me, I just left my bin outside the door when it needed emptying.

In general, for the price, this is a cracking hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to come back, even if I wasn't going to Pallekele.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra price, the executive suite on the top floor with a balcony and a lovely...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Before we arrived at Traveller's Nest, we had to get a taste of another hotel in Kandy that we pre-booked on Agoda and after seeing their rooms in non-photoshopped reality we decided to change the place as quickly as we could. It was already quite late (9:30pm) and Kandy was pretty deserted - thank goodness my boyfriend googled Traveller's Nest. Even though the hotel is not placed in the strict centre and the area is not too inviting by night, once I saw the hotel and rooms I was amazed and seriously surprised that it is rated with 3*, as it is at least strong European 4* or more. The hotel is new, clean and decorated with amazing taste (great job done by the owner's wife ;)) Everything is just great - starting from beautiful decor, amazing lamps, tastefully decorated rooms, luxurious bathroom (including hot rain showers!), wifi and cable, a/c...
What gives this place precedence over good, but boring chain hotels is the owner and staff: we felt very warmly welcome and we were treated like friends, not clients (especially when it turned out that the owner's wife is also Polish - chatting in Polish with a person from Sri Lanka was a lovely, fun experience :)). The owner himself was making sure everything is allright and we are happy. The night of our arrival, despite the fact that the restaurant was already closed for the day - it was reopened for us and we could have a great, much needed dinner. The breakfast was also fantastic and included everything one may wish for (both European and Sri Lankan buffet and literally the best sambol I ate during our whole trip). The staff is very polite and smiling and catered to our every need.
I hope that Traveller's Nest will be soon listed among the top Kandy hotels as they truly deserve it. It was a much needed re-charge of batteries in a friendly, beautiful surroundings. If we come back to Kandy, we will definitely book Traveller's Nest again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Travellers Nest? Share your experiences!