Overall very good and we'd recommend it to anyone - it was a real tonic for us away from Kandy itself which I would miss on our next trip to Sri Lanka. Stayed here with the missus at Christmas 2013.
A few observations:
- Beautiful house, gardens and lovely atmosphere (has a wonderful, evocative smell pervading the house - cinnamon/spices)
- Great pool looking out over the rice paddies
- Superb shower!
- Nice, friendly staff - they need to work constantly on their trade but overall we liked them and felt well looked after
- Entertainment (mix of traditional and international live music) was good as were the champagne cocktails...
- Food was hit and miss - we were disappointed by the lack of Sri Lankan dishes - we wanted to see more! We stayed on Christmas Eve and Day where special menus were put in place which may explain this. They steered clear of the traditional western fare (turkey/stuffing etc) and the result was middling. A small point but the menus cost 3500 and 8000 rupees respectively, which, in a remote place with little other option was a bit of a jump from Eve to Day.
- We didn't get the room we booked and after a while, they blinked first and took 20% off our bill. all was handled well.
- Breakfast was OK - stick with the Sri Lankan hoppers; they were delicious. Toast is poor. Porridge was good!
If we ever returned to Kandy (unlikely), we would definitely stay here again...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kandy House is a unique ancestral manor house (walauwa) providing seclusion and serenity for its guests in a lush, tropical garden setting, close to Kandy. With only 9 bedrooms, this Kandy hotel, aims is to give guests an experience of staying more in a private house than a conventional hotel. Traditional Kandyan architecture has been blended with Bawa-influenced modern, polished titanium cement floors and bathrooms. In the gardens, a stunning infinity pool has been landscaped into the hillside overlooking the rice paddy fields. Delicious European fusion and Sri Lankan cuisine is on offer. Well-placed to spend time to relax as well as explore a broad selection of Sri Lanka's primary destinations in the Cultural Triangle and Tea Country, including the Temple of the Tooth and the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens. The house can also be booked as a whole for important celebrations with friends, or just for the peace of mind of a group having total privacy away from the public eye. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Kandy House Hotel Gunnepana
- The Kandy Hotel
- Kandy Hotel Gunnepana