“hotel with best booking rate in Kandy” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Thilanka
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Sangamitta Mawatha, Kandy 20000, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Kandy
Hamburg
“hotel with best booking rate in Kandy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

Time of stay: 26.-27. Febr. 2009

roomnumber: 691 (double room)

rate: 65 EUR per room (including breakfast) - booking by a Sri Lankan guide can be cheaper

Pro:
+tasteful room interior
+great view on the 6th floor
+monkeys on your balcony
+15 meter pool with great view
+great location next to the "tooth-relict temple" in the center of Kandy

Contra:
-dirty table cloths (haven't been changed in 2 days)
-dirty curtins with whole and stains in restaurant
-unfriendly and slow staff in restaurant
-internet acces 7 EUR/hour

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
UAE/India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

My girlfriend, her sister and I stayed at this hotel since we were visiting kandy and its surroundings like pinnawella, tea factories etc. We liked the room and pool very much. At night we decided to have a la carte instead of the dinner buffet.
We ordered 2 dishes and I ordered a pasta. I got my order 1 hour later.....pathetic!! when i asked the waiter why i got the order so late, he said, "its the kitchens fault and not ours". So much for staff training i guess!! Cannot even reply politely.
I summoned the restaurant manager and when i asked him why it was late he said the same thing and asked me what he could do to help! I told him to cancel my order and give me something that came on time. Then he suggested that i help myself to the buffet!! i told him i will think about it.......then a swift reply came which said, "so thats what you want"!!!! i was shocked at his attitude and his cheap attempt at making me feel guilty!! I refused, as i had lost my appetite and did not eat anything that night. My girlfriend shared her meal with me instead.
I think this sort of a feedback from my side will "hopefully" improve your services in the future to all your asian clients. Staff training is a must expecially in Food and Beverage at your hotel.
The front office staff were wonderful and it was a smooth check in and check out.
I also did a shirodhara and was amazed at the spa services. The doctor did a good job, and so did the therapists.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I've just returned from Sri Lanka yesterday and had a wonderful time. I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 kids (11) (14) for one night whilst on a trip to Kandy.

LOCATION - The hotel is in Kandy on a hill looking down onto Kandy lake. The views from some of the rooms are amazing. We had the suite room, which had views to the front and side of the hotel over the lake and mountains. It's just a short walk down the hill to Kandy lake and also the Temple of the Tooth. It is also just around the corner from the Kandy cultural show.

ROOMS - The room we had was the suite and was huge. They put 4 beds in there and we also had a snug room with views over the mountains. There was a mini bar and a kettle. We also had a balcony overlooking Kandy. But beware of the monkeys!!! One came on to our balcony and my son fed it a banana, 5 minutes later there were about 50 monkeys on our balcony and they were trying to open the patio doors into our room!!! The bathroom is spacious and had a bath with glass showers doors. The shower was hot and powerful and the towels provided were clean.

FOOD - We had breakfast and dinner at this hotel and both were lovely food. Breakfast consisted of hot food, freshly cooked omlettes, beans, sausage, bacon etc. Aso there were all different kinds of bread and cereal. The restaurant interior is clean and very artistically designed, with nice lighting and pictures on the wall. Dinner was even better than breakfast, there were curry dishes, but also non-spicy food. They even had home cooked chips, which we found was very rare in Sri Lanka...in fact any chips were rare!! There were plenty of vegetarian options at both meals and drink prices were reasonable.

HOTEL FACILITIES - the best feature of this hotel was the pool. It overlooks Kandy lake and sunbeds and towels are provided free of charge. It was quite a cold pool, but this was nice as the weather was hot! There was also a bar and a small shop at the hotel. There was an Avyveda spa at the hotel too, but we never used it so can't really comment.

I would definately stay at this hotel again, it must have some of the best views in Kandy and the staff are friendly.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed here for 1 night whilst on a tour of Sri Lanka.
Good quality and spacious rooms with a balcony overlooking the gardens and Kandy. All was very clean. Food was buffet style taken in a pleasant dining area, they also did a BBQ. The pool was a very nice area, although unfortunatley we didnt have time to go in it!
Would definatley reccomend.

Stayed May 2008
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

This is a comfortable hotel located at the top of a steep hill - a 10 minute walk from Kandy Lake. I booked a room in the new wing. These rooms are spacious and have wonderful views from the balcony of Kandy and the lake. The bathrooms are large and have all you need. The furniture in the room is a little tired but the views make up for this. TV reception is hopeless as with so many hotels in Sri Lanka.

My rate included breakfast and evening meal. I have to say the buffet dinner was really, really poor. There was a measely salad bar and a mix of school dinner Western food and toned down and therefore tasteless Sri Lankan dishes.

Let your taxi driver book and pay for the hotel as he will receive the 'local' rate and not the extortionate rate charged to tourists.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

Stayed here on the second night of our four day tour. We were a little apprehensive after the standard of our first night's hotel, however were quite happy with the tour operator's choice this time. The room was quite spacious and clean. I was a bit concerned with the bedding as the sheets seemed to be well used and they should be replaced. Good breakfast buffet . A nice hotel for an overnight stay.

• Liked — The view from the balcony
  • Disliked — The old sheets.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

I got this hotel through my driver and paid US45 for a single room/b'fast/dinner.
I had the best rooms which include an open air secure foyer in front of each double room. It was quite clean and would have suited a honeymoon couple. The TV had hopeless reception, and I didnt have hot water one morning, but it was a unique and enjoyable experience. The swimming pool needed the side tiles wiped of soil, but everything else about the hotel was spotless. The staff were the best I encountered in Sri Lanka, helpful and appeared to enjoy their jobs and lives.
Great views over the man made lake, monkeys howling at sunset, bats swooping at dusk.
I did have a problem when I left with Reception, my organised buffet dinner on the first night was taken at 6.00pm, when the restaurant opened at 7.00pm. Even though my buffet was prepaid, I had to pay 800R extra because I ate before that 7.00pm curfew. I got pissed with their inability to be flexible and reasonable (I didn't meet many SL's who were able to make a decision) so didn't tip the staff , and I felt really mean for taking it out on them.
Summary:
Thilanka is a very good hotel to stay at.
The staff are very good.

• Liked — Different and unusual in an exotic sense
  • Disliked — Reception, non thinkers
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Thilanka? Share your experiences!