“hmm..... not so great, despite fun decor” 2 of 5 stars

Helga's Folly
70 Rajaphilla Mawatha, Kandy, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Kandy
Cordoba, Argentina
“hmm..... not so great, despite fun decor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

We just went for lunch, not having too much time, we asked for 2 simple dishes but had to wait 1 hour for them to serve us (although they said "30 mins ready madam"), despite us being the only customers. The prices are crazily exaggerated and the food not that great (pasta overcooked), and the 3 USD lime soda comes in a tiny mini-glass.

While waiting we did visit the rooms, which are decorated with much fantasy but do lack hygiene and certainly do not justify the 140 USD they claim the rates are for 1 night.

Best thing to do, go for a cup of tea to admire the decor, but leave it at that!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Sad and dusty - made me think of Miss Havisham. Certainly could do with a good clean all round..

Helga also decorated this herself in incredibly vivid colours... okay if you can sleep through a riot of pink.

A unique experience!

Stayed February 2009
Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed a short 'second honeymoon' up at Helga's Folly, delighting in the Nutcracker Suite with its colourful, palatial decor and a breakfast fit for kings! The perfect location above the Kandy lake, and we really felt a million miles from anywhere - splendid isolation and royal treatment.
We're looking forward to going again next month!

• Liked — the unique interior design
  • Disliked — couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St Albans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

This hotel claims to have international standard facilities and great views.

In reality it has rooms with holes in the walls, 30 year old air con, thread bare mosquito nets, odd-ball staff and bathrooms which haven't seen a cleaner in many a year

Forget the reviews about the unique decor, it merely paper over the cracks of a sub standard hotel which is massively overpriced - try the hotels in the city centre instead for great friendly staff, decent food, good location at a quarter of the price

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
portchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

I have stayed at Helga's many times and enjoyed it every time. OK it's not for lovers of faceless hotel chains where you don't know which you are in, it is a unique experience and you either love it or hate it. I am very surprised at the supposed peepholes in the doors so surprised that I asked to look at the doors if there are any holes they must be microscopic!!! I have no axe to grind on this issue
just trying to reassure future visitors. Our room has always been ready on arrival.Yes you may find some dust, the plumbing is old (but works) the building is old but the service is good as is the welcome. I look forward to my next visit for an experience unlike any other hotel.

• Liked — It was unique
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I had booked into Helga's Folly after reading reviews from people raving about the place and the uniqueness. It was pricy for what it was US$138 for half board (discounted).
I was shown to my room and the bathroom had not been cleaned. I was then given another room. On closer insepction as I was settling in I noticed there was a peephole in the door of the adjoining room that looked straight onto the bed.
Of course being a single woman travelling I went to the receptionist about this. They then offered me any room in the house! I chose one of the superior rooms...only to find another peephole!
Needless to say I hightailed it out of there and would certainly not recommend on this basis alone.
The hotel was not well cleaned and was poorly faciliated for the cost.
I had much better service and comfort and felt safer at the Queen!

• Liked — The artwork was unique
  • Disliked — Just about everything else!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

The folly is an experience and overall a powerful one. The site of the hotel is impressive, the jungle at one's back and the town at one's feet, the interior, inspired and the food, the best I have had in Sri Lanka and some of the best I have had anywhere. The rooms inspire and speak of an individual who has a flare for the dramatic and the personal. It is difficult to describe this place without falling into cliché, it is worth so much more cliché - I congratulate Helga's Folly on being more brave than most and creating something quite extra-ordinary. I will return as often as I can - the experience was amazing and life enriching. Well done.

ps. The staff, well what can I say, they were kind, helpful and welcoming. I was made to feel very special.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Helga's Folly? Share your experiences!