“Not to be missed!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 20 Shopping in Kandy
More attraction details
Owner description: My shop is located at the Kandy Central Market which is opposite the Clock Tower and it is not difficult to find as it is a well known local market in Kandy. The shop is open from 9.00am to 6.00pm every day. In case if the shop is closed, please do not hesitate to call me as it is a pleasure to open my store for you within 20 minutes............... Jayamali Batiks Studio, one of the most famous batik studios in Kandy, was founded in 1979 by Jayakody. He discovered his talent to create unique batik wall hangings and started the business with very few means at his home as a family business. His unique style of designing modern, artistic and unusual designs to a very high quality fascinated the foreign guests who visited his studio.
Frederecia
“Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Wow! I read about this place on TripAdvisor and thought "why not give it a try?" So I went there, but the shop was closed. A bit disappointed I went to some other shops around Kandy to by some gifts. I then returned to the central market, and was happy to find the shop open. The owner, who produces these wonderful batiks himself, explained, that some other tourists had called him, so he jumped on his bike as quickly as possible. So if it's closed, just call him!

Anyway, I had a great time there learning about the making of these batiks and was showed a lot of beautiful styles. I wasn't really planning on buying any, but I fell in love with one Batik, that I just had to get. The price was good as well, and he even gave me a small batik as a present. Lovely shop with the most amazing owner you will meet in a long time. Just go there!

Tehran, Iran
42 attraction reviews
“BEST CRAFT STORE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Best Hands Sri lanka Art and Craft Stores in Kandy
he gave us big big discount and a beauty gift because we were his first Iranian customers.

“Top quality batik”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Jayamali Batiks is one of the finest batik shops I've visited in Asia. CJ is a good salesman as he took the time to explain the batik process and didn't try to rip us off. The batik paintings were far superior than anything you'll at any market, so don't expect to bargain at the same rate. My parents and I bought two paintings and one shirt and we are all happy with our purchases. If you are looking for an original batik painting, then this is the place for you.

San Francisco, California
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I was really impressed with jayamali batiks. The central market where it's located is a great location, but don't be fooled by all the other shops on the second floor of the market aggressively trying to sell undesirable merchandise. These batiks are very high quality with interesting and original designs. You could probably find cheaper ones around kandy, but not of the same quality and originality.

Visited March 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Excellent batik shop in Kandy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

On my recent trip to Sri Lanka one of the highlights of my trip was my visit to the Jayamli Batik Studio in the Kandy central market. The shop does not open until approximately 11am so I had to wait a short time for the shop to open, but it was well worth the wait and the effort to find the shop. The batiks range from traditional designs to some new and modern original designs, all inspired by the culture and wildlife of Sri Lanka. Do make sure that you mention when you start talking to him that you have seen the reviews on trip advisor as he really appreciates it if he knows that you have especially come to see his work. The process used to create these wonderful pieces of fabric is explained in detail and it is well worth finding out, as you will then understand just how difficult and detailed this work is. I bought a couple of pieces which I am looking forward to having framed and hanging in my house in the near future. If you don't have time to visit the shop there is also a web site and you can order online and have them shipped anywhere in the world.

Visited March 2014