“Awesome Place to Stay, Fabulous Food a Must Stay in Kandy” 5 of 5 stars

Villa Sandalwood
09 Pallekalle, Kandy, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #27 of 99 Specialty Lodging in Kandy
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome Place to Stay, Fabulous Food a Must Stay in Kandy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed in Villa Sandlewood on a mini vacation from my family int he US solo. I cannot say enough about how fabulous Bathiya and his family are. The Honeymoon suite was awaiting me when I arrived late in the day tired from a day sight seeing tour. The website does not do the room justice. Tranquil and relaxing with a veranda right out side the french doors. Magnificent view. Very spacious room with comfy bed. I enjoyed my stay here tremendously. They greet you with a cool refreshing drink...what a civilized way to welcome your guests.

The villa is in a quiet neighbor hood on a hill in the middle of Kandy. You can see for miles form the roof top terrace. Bathiya met me with a cool drink. He is a fabulous host. It is very affordable and the host Bathiya is super attentive. I was able to arrange a private driver who took me to all the sights I wanted to see on the way from my hotel in Galle. I highly recommend you have Bathiya arrange a driver for you. The villa is a bit off the beaten track but that is it's charm and his drivers know how to get there. He can also arrange any other tour you may want to sites in Sri Lanka. Make your arrangements with him before you leave your destination and you will be worry free. I stayed in three locations and his drivers took me everywhere. I was not keen on the cheap tuk,tuk expereince for such long distance driving...and the cars are air conditioned!

On my way to stay in Negombo, Bathiya arranged for a private tour of a small local temple. I was greeted by a buddiist monk who spoke English and he took me on a private tour and explained the painitngs on the wall and let me take pictures. This was amazing. I visited the Temple of the Tooth relic and I felt it was an over priced tourist trap. This was much more intimate and it was Sunday school so the kids were about studying.

Sri Lanka is an amzing place and staying at Villa Sandlewood in Kandy is a must do. The roof top terrace is amazing. Ask Bathiya for soma arrack (spelling?) kind of like Brandy but smoother. I hope to return someday with my entire family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This is not a hotel!
This is a regular home, very far away from Kandy, with no indications where to find it and not 1 taxi/tuktukdriver had heard of it.
The room was nice, but there was no amazing view and no possibility to sit outside.
Be careful to pay a part in advance, you might want to get a real hotel once you see this.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We spent 3 days at Sandalwood and enjoyed our stay. The rooms are modern and have all the conveniences - ours didn't have a fan which made the room a little stuffy at night when you closed the windows to keep the mosquitos out. The food is good and freshly made, the 360 view from the rooftop terrace is excellant and the service good. Villawood doesn't supply driver accommodation so that was a little inconvenient for our driver.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Villa sandalwood was definitely more than what i had expected. Bhatiya and Nishadi were ofcourse the reason for such a memorable stay. Not only are they and the family amazing hosts but so are the rest of the staff!! Everyone's so friendly and helpful.
I found this place through trip advisor and contacted Mr.Bhatiya for room booking and that's where my effort ends. Everything else was planned and taken care by our host,starting from airport transfer ,sightseeing tours to sigiriya etc, a beautiful birthday surprise with yummy cake for my husband at 12 in the night(very nice of our hosts,they stayed up til 12 to wish my husband!! Plus- beautiful,romantic decorations!!) , exceptional Srilankan food.
I just loved the personal touch and homely feeling the place has got. On our request we were guided to a very nice spa for a massage session. Not to forget we got to be part of a wedding celebrations too!
Overall a good place to stay if you are looking for something different from the regular hotels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised when i arrived as Villa Sandalwood as she's prettier than i expected. We arrived late afternoon & were tired, hot & flustered, only to be greeted with a cold refreshing welcome drink - that sure was a ++ point.
The roof top terrace gives you a 360 degrees view of its surrounding, lots of fresh air ...
Best of all rooftop experience, lovely sunset.
For dinner, we had home cooked meal which we enjoyed, however, the highlight was the dessert Buffalo Milk Curd with Kitul to sweeten, unanimously approved by all 4 of us.
For breakfast, we had String Hoppers & that was yummy too.
Finally after being in Sri Lanka for 3 days, we met our 1st Sri Lankan cat, Bhathiya's "Slyvestor" looking cat, on hand to welcome us even more.
Our stay was short but it was filled with genuine warmth & it made an impression.

Room Tip: A home away from home experience, book early.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Nathalie and l (Giles) got married at Villa Sandalwood on 29th May; and goodness it was a wonderful day and a great place for the event.
I had ‘pestered’ Bhathiya with emailed questions for a few weeks, because l didn’t quite believe that the formalities would be so straightforward. He managed everything brilliantly.
We didn’t want a highly organised, but sometimes remote and business-like event at a grand hotel; we wanted to feel comfortable and at ease – which IS possible even on your wedding day!
Three of the ladies of the family had great fun getting Nathalie ‘wrapped’ in her sari and sorting out her hair with jewels and flowers. They even found me a very smart tunic to wear; though l was later helped to dress up in formal Kandyan embroidered ‘gear’.
The covered roof terrace, with exceptional views across the banana, coconut and palm trees to the distant hills, is peaceful and an exceptional place to get married. The flower arrangements and simple decorations worked well. The whole family joined in and Bhathiya’s charming parents acted as witnesses.
Sandalwood is a comfortable and luxurious place to stay anyway. Home-cooking is a treat, beer and wine are available (I’m British, Nat is French!) and, being Sri Lanka, the tea is great. The biggest decision each day was what time we would be back for supper and what curries we’d like to eat!
Villa Sandalwood is 15 minutes from Kandy town centre on the main road eastward. It’s a smart spacious house, not a hotel or hostel, so don’t expect signs! It’s better to telephone once you arrive at the huge Buddhist Centre and clock tower nearby.

Room Tip: always ask & talk in this family house
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Don´t miss this hotel, could not have been better. They really give you the feel to stay with a family, rooms are spacious and nicely designed. Dining on that terrace was extraordinary, the food excellent, home cooked, just great. Getting back to that place (15min from Kandy) felt like heaven after noisy and crowded Kandy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Sandalwood? Share your experiences!