“Great food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St Bridget's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kandy
St Bridget's Guest House
No 125, Sri Sumangala Mawatha, | Asgiriya, Kandy, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #24 of 173 Kandy B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

A bit out of town but a lovely place and lovely owners. And great food, some of the best we've had in Sri Lanka. Rooms a tad small but still great value for money.

It was a bit (a lot) rainy when we went in june but we enjoyed sitting reading our books on the terrace. Kany is not a place for a wild night out when in low season!

• Stayed June 2013

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This place is in the middle of the forest, which gives it a nice secluded feel. It's a little distance out of Kandy, about ten minutes by tuk-tuk - or it can be reached on foot, which we did a few times. We struggled to negotiate a tuk-tuk price lower than Rs 250 each way from central Kandy, but the owners said that that was the most we should pay for the journey. When negotiating transport, don't let the driver confuse it with St. Bridget's Church (!). The rooms were clean, with a fairly large number of creepy-crawlies around the bathrooms (due to the forest location) but nothing serious. We really enjoyed drinking tea on the hotel's veranda during the day, and watching the bats flying around in the evenings (though others might not have the same opinion). The water got cut off on the day we left (by monkeys, according to the owner), but was quickly restored. The beds had double-thickness mattresses which I found a bit too soft but the others seemed to enjoy. What really does need to be mentioned about this place is the food! We were all big fans of the pineapple jam on toast at breakfast - this was the second place we stayed at on our tour, and none of the other places had quite such an enjoyable breakfast. We also ate dinner there one of the days, which was very tasty as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional service and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Food was absolutely scrumptious and the rooms were impeccably clean. Perfect weather conditions and a great location. The staff were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I left with a bitter taste in my mouth after the owner knocked on my door aggressively telling me to get out at 5 minutes to 12. I was ready but startled and he said he was doing me a favour by letting me stay till 12pm (he later told me it was 11am, but not my fault because when I asked he told me 12pm!)
He then accused me of not wanting to pay extra for the bill when I didn't understand and was shouting over me , which was immature and upsetting. It wasn't just this episode, but during my stay I had to keep asking for wifi to be switched on and he said he couldn't afford to always leave it on and would randomly switch it off, and I'd have to walk out of my room to another building and ask for it to be put on, in which most of the time he'd make me wait before he switched it back on. A host of little things like how they speak in an irritated tone when guests ask for towels or don't want dinner. I noticed that he spoke sarcastically and rudely to guests. Besides that the room was nice but location a little far. I hope those owners learn to appreciate and respect their guests otherwise its the wrong business to be in.

Stayed June 2013
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during May 2013 -the price was very reasonable, rooms clean - very nice to have the balconey overlooking the garden, but even if not, the open air living room is great to relax. We particularly appreciated the location - above Kandy and away from the noise and busy streets - we walked down in the mornings (exactly 20 min.) and the took the tuk-tuk back up the evenings for 200 Rps. Not too far by foot to the white budda statue as well. Breakfast and dinner were good - perhaps a little expensive given the 10% service charge added to the final bill.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in late December 2012 and really loved it.

We wanted to experience the true lifestyle of Sri Lankan people and this was the way of doing it, avoiding 5 star hotels and posh residences where tourists usually like to escape after seeing the poverty in the streets.

The hosts were lovely and Pipi prepared for us the best meals every night, especially the Aubergine :-). they also gave us good tips on where to go and what to see, which is alwasy nice when you are in a new city.

The bedroom and bathroom (en-suite) weren't stunning but for the price we paid it was more than enough and the view of the tropical garden outside played its part in making the location a wonderful one where to go back at night and a have a serene, deep and undisturbed sleep!

Recommended to everyone that wants to experience Sri lanka for what it really is!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a really nice guest house. If you have the option take a room on the first floor as they seemed less damp than our room on the ground floor. Very kind and generous hosts. Lovely home cooked food and a great aspect - not far to walk into the more bustly Kandy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to St Bridget's Guest House? Share your experiences!