“The manager is a saint!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Theva Residency

You added Theva Residency to your Saves list
Theva Residency
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 / B5 / 10 - 1, 6th Lane | off Upper Tank Rd, off Circular 2 Rd, Hantanna, Kandy, Sri Lanka   |
Special Price
Enjoy up to 15% off
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Kandy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
clave france
“The manager is a saint!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We arrived to find that Agoda had made a complete hash on our booking and it appeared we were booked in a week earlier , when in fact through Agoda again, we were in fact residing in Colombo. This news sent us into a panic having being travelling all day and looking forward to our stay. The manager kicked in, calm itself he examined the information , got us into the right accommodation and promised to personally sort us another hotel if he did't get a cancellation. Fortunately he did and we enjoy two night peace and calm at Theva. Top-marks to him, he took responsibility when he could have shrugged and we liked that immensely. whoever 's doing the bonus please take note!
The hotel then. Stylised, quiet and comfortable with majestic views overlooking Kandy. The use of natural stone in our room was particularly pleasing.
The restaurant menu was a little restrictive for us as we don't eat meat and unfortunately I have an intolerance to aubergine BUT the staff worked around it and we had two evening dinners there, one after a heavy days travel and a second after an exceedingly busy day. Both were tasty, well presented and filling. The wine list is short but sound; we enjoyed a good Louis Jadot, Beaujolais Village and on our first evening a pleasant Macon Village( nice to see French wine on their list and a pleasing reminder of home!). We particularly enjoyed the fresh juices and fruit plate each morning and felt well prepared for the full days we had to follow.
I've mentioned the saintly manager ( true!) but generally all the staff were courteous, friendly and helpful . So, we speak as we find. Thank you Theva Residency, you've certainly won our vote!

Room Tip: The higher the better I'm sure!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed here 1 night on a tour of Sri Lanka and found it to be a very nice but slightly uneven experience and I agree and disagree with some of the other reviewers.

Firstly, getting there can be quite difficult. It's a good 20-30 minutes from Kandy and it's a drive I would not want to make at night if I was trying to find the place for the first time.

The room itself is quite lovely with a comfortable Asian look. I found the bed comfortable but it creaks with every movement. I eventually put ear plugs in to shield myself from the noise.

The shower while very nice is too low. I'm 6'1" and my head was right up under the showerhead. I had to stoop to keep water from spraying all over the place.

My dinner was excellent. I had the grilled prawns over mashed potatoes and I received 4 of the largest prawns I've ever seen. The chocolate mouse dessert was also very good. The duck liver pate appetizer was oversized. Pate is so rich that you only need a bite or two. I received 4 or 5 large pieces.

Service was excellent. Very hospitable and welcoming.

The view from your room and the restaurant and patio are simply stunning though and makes up for any of the other inconsistencies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for 9 days and everyday was a new experience.The mountains in the distance seen from our room's balcony guided our escapade for the day. These journeys were helped by management who organised private tours with Pila among the tea plantations with a picnic lunch up the mountains (among the clouds) or with Buddhika for a true village experience or to the temples and Sigiriya. We were respected by all members of staff and they could not do enough to make our stay memorable. Each meal was delicious, whether from the menu or other srilankan meal especially the 17 curries and breakfasts (milkrice) 'heaven'. (Just ask and it will be provided). When we were out at the market and found a fruit that we had not encountered before, we brought it to the hotel the executive chef gave us a detailed explanation and offered us the choice on how it would be best savoured. This was just amazing. Theva is a boutique hotel where you come to rest and enjoy the cooler weather. The size of the pool is well fitted to cool the body but not for olympic prowess. Although the hotel is situated 10mins by tuk tuk ride up the mountains from Kandy Town, it is a pleasant morning walk down to the main road (Hantana), where you can catch a public bus or another tuk tuk either into town or to catch the train and exit at Rambukkana for the Elephant Orphanage or greet the neighbours as they go about their everyday life. Theva has not disappointed us from the first shower (large showerhead which we enjoyed) to watching the small fish in the flowerpots or the outstanding view while sipping on a great cocktail was sheer delight. The staff from housekeeping to management have made our long stay a very enjoyable and unforgettable one. We thank you very much.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Theva Residency was a disappointment. It is one of those places that was designed for other purposes than for a place for people to sleep comfortably.

Our travel agents are to blame for this reservation, as they could not secure a booking in the hotel we wanted. However, this place was a disaster: forget the concept of sleeping, as the restaurant (with a terrace so that the noise is higher) is strategically located right underneath your room! Add to this the fact that the windows in your room must be certified as the thinnest and less noise reducing materials on planet Earth and the result is that you will not be able to sleep until the restaurant shuts down.

The restaurant food is substandard: the starters were minimal and unbalanced, the mains were reasonable and the kids' menu was filled with spicy food (and we specifically asked for non-spicy food) that will make your kids stop eating right away.

The penthouse suite is an act of terrible marketing: the only thing I give it credit for is for the beautiful views of Kandy, but the room itself is not cleaned properly and the bed is extremely uncomfortable, as the management decided to cut corners by putting a set of solid wood boards (maybe doors?) as your bed base, in order to guarantee a night filled with noises and cracking sounds the minute you so much move a toe.

A disaster of a place. Avoid unless you want to stay up all night long.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here. Pros: beautiful views, quiet, large very modern room, pleasant manager. Cons: food was not good. Dinner was mediocre. Eggs Benedict had cold ham. For the price, this hotel is not worth staying at.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

A great quiet place to stay up above Kandy. Small friendly hotel with great staff who could not have been more efficient or friendly. Very helpful manager who arranged a room with few stairs at short notice. Balcony dining with spectacular views over valley. The food was delicious, a very high standard for a small hotel. Room was on the small side but cheerful, clean and with the great views. Only small downside, one must beware of the smallish pool's shiny slippery tiles and the unfriendly entry ladders.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This lovely boutique hotel was certainly a haven from the busy city down below and even if you don't have your own driver it is easy to get a tuk-tuk back and forth. The rooms were clean and comfortable, if not overly luxurious. I had a problem with being in number 6 as it was directly below the eating terrace and the scraping of chairs late at night and early in the morning was noisy. However the delightful manager was most obliging and I was moved as soon as I voiced my concerns. The view is certainly stunning, especially early in the morning before the haze sets in. I loved the food here, particularly the Sri Lankan breakfast. Unfortunately I didn't notice the curry selection which was available in the evening and was a little disappointed that I would have to have western style food. But every meal I had was delicious and most beautifully presented, and the staff courteous and friendly. I'm fussy, but I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Theva Residency? Share your experiences!