“Forest Glen, a hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

150/6, Lady Gordon's Drive, Kandy, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #46 of 227 Kandy B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Forest Glen, a hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We arrived at Forest Glen after an excruciating van trip from the south coast. The road in was a little mysterious at night but we persevered thanks to our driver (he phoned the owner to check we were on the right track) and found a comfortable guesthouse hidden in the forest away from the hustle and bustle of Kandy. We didn't have dinner, but breakfast was nice and our host was warm, helpful and spoke great English. The communal areas are large and patio a lovely spot to relax and take in the hill surround. The rooms were clean and bright, mattress and pillow Sri Lankan standard. Easy to walk into town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The rooms are basic but clean. However, the more finicky traveller may find the towels do not a have a freshly washed smell. Forest Glen is situated in a tranquil tropical forest with beautiful views. The Sri Lankan food cooked by the host was delicious. Although 10 minutes from Kandy Town, the path up to the guest house is steep and not easily accessible at night. This makes for a very bumpy tuk tuk ride up hill which we found enjoyable! Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Forest Glen.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I must start saying I didn't stay in this guesthouse, unfortunately.

After proper booking by e.mail and telephone, and after receiving confirmation of my reservation, I had the bad experience of learning, upon arrival in Kandy, that my rooms had been given to some other people.

The owner recognized her mistake and offered to find an alternative solution. She told me she would phone back within 10 to 15 minutes... I am still waiting for her call. When you are travelling with very young kids, this kind of disagreement puts you in a very difficult situation...

I would like to add that the owner didn't apologize and was of absolutely no support to us.

I do not recommend this place.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Indra U, Manager at Forest - Glen, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you. You called me and I told you to call me in 15 minutes. I did not take your number. But I did find a place for you, since I could not reach you I just waited for you to call me. I am really sorry for the misunderstanding. But I do hope you found a pleasant place to stay . Any way my apologies. I registered with tripadvisor only today. That 's why I delayed in writing.
Indra
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Forest Glen is a great value for the money. Kandy Kottage which is just 100 yards down the road is twice the price, has smaller rooms, no view and a less attractive house. The Forest Glen rooms are spotlessly clean, the mosquito nets do not have holes like many places we stayed in, the bathrooms are clean and have good showers, and the owners, Indra and Natil, are delightful, kind and welcoming. They both speak good English. The food is excellent. We had English breakfasts with tropical fruit and wonderful curries. When we had a problem getting money from the ATM machine, Indra extended credit to us for several days. That really was incredible that she would trust two strangers like that. The house is set in a beautiful forest with all kinds of birds and monkeys. The nature preserve is next door and the monkeys have no fear of people and will come very close. There is a Buddhist temple not far from the guest house and you can sometimes hear the monks chanting at dusk, which is charming. One day, there was a puja parade right in front of our door, complete with elephants! The entire stay was enchanting. I cannot recommend this place enough. It is not fancy but it is clean, warm and homey.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter. Rooms in the front have balconies and a view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We loved this place. Just a walk from Kandy Forest glen provides real respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. The food was great. Loved the house curries and the warm freindly and intelligent chats with Indra our host. Great value!

• Stayed November 2011
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

If you are tire of the lack of warmth provided by the usual hotels, Forest Glen in Kandy would be a good choice. The place gives one the feeling of being at home away from home. Due to its relatively smaller size (limited rooms), one gets to know other guests and shares travel experiences.

Lady owner is a great cook of Sri Lankan food. Great curry and curry baby jack fruit (very unique in Sri Lanka and not widely available).

The place is an easy walk to the Tooth Temple which is located in the centre of Kandy. It took me about 35-40 mins walk to the Tooth Temple using the map provided at the back of Forest Glen's card as I dropped by Colombo Street for some shoppings. Depending on one's pace, I would say it takes on average 15 mins walk. Just 3 mins walk is the royal forest. One can have a quiet nice stroll in the forest with friend(s).

If you are one who need much silence in order to sleep, bring some ear plugs as the rooms are not sound proofed nor air-conditioned. Personally, I have no problem in sleeping

Room Tip: Choose room with balcony. Very relaxing to sit & read a book at the balcony when weather is goo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We spent 2 nights here during the Perahera and are so glad we did. Firstly, it's probably important to stress that it's about a 10/15 minute walk from Kandy, and probably not a walk you'd want to do at night as it's not very well lit and up a large hill. However, the location is definitely part of its charm. It's great to be slightly away from the city, and the surroundings are beautiful with stunning scenery and wild monkeys chilling outside the windows.

The service was very good and the food was lovely (although, the way we were offered breakfast made it sound like it was included in the price, when actually it's quite expensive which we only found out when we checked out).

The whole place feels like you're staying in someone's home which does come with its downside (sometimes we felt like we were inconveniencing the owner when asking for things) but generally adds a completely unique feel to your stay.

We really enjoyed this place - certainly not luxurious, but quirky, homely and memorable for the right reasons.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Forest - Glen? Share your experiences!