“Holiday with a wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AVANI Kalutara Resort

You added AVANI Kalutara Resort to your Saves list
AVANI Kalutara Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   St. Sebastian's Road | Katukurunda, Kalutara 0001, Sri Lanka   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Kalutara
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Holiday with a wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Actually stayed in August 2009 which was our chosen location for our wedding. The hotel was a fantastic place and everybody involved in the planning and execution of our wedding were wonderful and supportive of our needs and wishes, even Monica the elephant!
Rooms are spacious and clean with more than enough room for a holiday, food was fantastic with a wide variety of choice but a special mention must go to my wifes favourite pineapple crumble - devine, she actually wants to go back just for this dessert!
When we were there it was out of the main holiday season for Sri Lanka which meant a few days of cloud, but that is the chance you take I suppose, but it did not affect our holiday or wedding at all.
Sri Lanka itself is a wonderful country that more people should visit and when coupled with a honeymoon in the Maldives you can expect a really amazing time.
Overall very highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We can honestly say this hotel is the best we have stayed in Sri Lanka! We recently stayed here along with 16 of our family and friends for 10 days including celebrating our wedding and all had the most amazing time.
The hotel itself was really well maintained and reception staff were quick to check us in and get us to our rooms which after the flight and transfer was extremely welcome!
Rooms were gorgeous, very clean and well equipped and our room boy (Janaka)was fantastic at making sure we never ran out of anything and was a magician with towels!
The guys round the pool were really attentive and considering the number of us service was always snappy for fresh towels and drinks.
We all stayed half board and nobody went hungry that's for sure! The selection in the buffet restaurant was always good with food cooked to order and a really good mixture of local and themed dishes. Even the lunch snacks were really good and a reasonable price! Can definitely recommend the cocktails and again the drinks were all a fair price.
Beach boys do operate at the edge of the pool but they are just there making a living and if you strike up a conversation they are a useful source of information!
As far as our wedding I could never thank the staff here enough,especially Jayantha! Everything was taken care of so we didn't have to worry about a thing and it really was a perfect day! If your considering a wedding in Sri Lanka this hotel is the place to go.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future, big thanks to everyone for our dream holiday and wedding!
Mr and Mrs Bond x

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We recently visited this hotel with our 2 sons and friend and we had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and courteous with the exception of one young lady at the reception desk who thought it beneath her to reply to my son's girlfriends greeting when seeing her in the bathroom.
We stayed on an all inclusive basis and were pleasantly surprised at the choice of buffet at all meal times. There was a variety of choices and every evening there was a theme night There was even live music during meal times. I must commend all the chefs but in particular the head chef Jude. On our first night he went into the kitchen and produced a dish of cuttlefish because my son had mentioned that he would like to try it while he was there. He also arranged gluten free dishes during our stay for my other son. The waiters were attentive and after a couple of days even knew which drinks each of us preferred!! The bar staff also were great. Viraj especially springs to mind who always served you with a huge smile.
The staff were very helpful and honest. My son lost his gold and ruby ring in the swimming pool and had asked the pool attendant to check if he could see it anywhere. In the evening on returning from our trip we were told by reception staff that the ring was found by pool attendants Nishanthe and Surjeeva. Since the ring had great sentimental value my son was extremely grateful.
The rooms were clean as was the rest of the hotel. The grounds were immaculate and I especially loved to sit by the river with a coffee in the evenings.
I was a little disappointed with the small stretch of beach. There are no activities there except for the beach boys who consistently wave and pester you to come and arrange trips with them. My advice is to go to the front of the hotel to the Hot Pizza place and see Earnest who has a comfortable minibus and will take you anywhere and it is metered. It works out more economical than the beach boys or hotel rate. Incidentally the beach boys will give you lots of hard luck stories but they probably are better off than most.
There is not much to do in the hotel so great if you want to relax. I did feel that evening entertainment could be a lot better.
I also thought that it would be an idea to have "Mangers cocktail" evening once a week. It's a great way to meet staff and guests.It works in other hotels that we have been to.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We recently visited this hotel. The hotel is set in very nice grounds and right next to the beach, although a bit of a way from the town centre. The staff were all very friendly and made you feel comfortable .I would like to thank Rishni for sorting our rooms out, as we travelled as family of four and were originally given rooms on 2 different floors which was very inconvenient.There is not much to do around the hotel but if you are looking for a really relaxing holiday this is the hotel. The rooms were very clean and up to a pretty good standard. We had gone on half board and so had breakfast and dinner. Both of which had very good selection even for vegetarians. Head chef Jude was very kind to cook something special for us when ever we asked him as the vegetarian food was more suitable to the western palate. I definitely would choose this hotel again if I needed a pretty chilled holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I went there with my family in Oct 2013. It was a really cool place and service was excellent. Nice location. My kids had so much fun in pool. Food taste and quality was excellent. I recommended anyone to go there and have fun.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

we have checked in to the rooms and found out that the one room has not been cleaned. When informed, staff took more than an one hour to clean the room where as we had to stay out with kids.

Buffet had little choice and had to wait for food to come. Funny, they had a fruit juice counter within the dinning hall and not mentioned whether it was part of the buffet or not and no prices where given. later it was revealed that the guests have to pay.
there was no evening tea included in the full board menue as it is a normal standard to serve tea in other hotels in SL.
pool staff were rude and had to wait long till they bring pool towels. this people have clear discrimenation towards local guests even though they do not understand that only because of the locals they still survive.
worse, water started leaking through the roof during the rain and we had to change our room whilst kids were faster sleep. No apology from the management. they have to take a leaf out from the hotels in other Asian countries such as Thailand and Vietnam.

will not definitely recommend for any one.

Room Tip: always go for the ground or 1st floor room as top floor rooms get wet when rain.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SLML, Manager at AVANI Kalutara Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us. Rest assured your comments were taken into immediate consideration.

we understand that your check-in was not as you expected and we apologies for any discomfort which arose during your check-in. As the hotel was on full occupancy the day you arrived, our associates have tried their best to arrange your rooms as early as possible and it is unfortunate that despite their best of efforts, it took more than an hour to release one of the two rooms you reserved.

Your comments on the buffet food selection and speed of refills will be reviewed and training in this area will be improved. Based on your below feedback we have also identified that in-house communication need to be improved to set a clearer message with regard to the package inclusion and extra food and beverage counters which may incur an extra charge.

We have also noted your comments regarding the pool associates and I would like to assure you that I will take this matter up personally and will take corrective action and training for the concerned employees. I am saddened to note that you felt discriminated against and I hope you would accept my sincere appeal that this is not our intention.

I assure you that this is not the level of service and standard associated with our brand name and we would really value your return so it would provide us another chance to make it up to you and provide you an enhanced experience at our resort.

If you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

Jude Silva
Resident Manager
norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

First of all whenever we have gone on holiday I have always looked at tripadvisor to check out the place we are going to be going on holiday, and I have always looked at all the reviews and taken the negatives with a pinch of salt as you can't please everyone all the time and alot of people are really fussy and hard to please. So this is very hard for me as this is the first negative review that I will be leaving, because there was so much wrong.
The service here was really poor, always staff were about talking to each other and not dealing with the guests, even when we order 2 cokes it took 20 mins and a reminder by going to the bar again even though the bar was empty, everyone was only looking for tips, ( we always have tipped even at all inc places as we realise that the wages are poor, but we expect a service to provided in return which didn't happen)
This is the first place we have been to where the housekeeping come to your room so many times on the pretence of bringing something they didn't bring the first time, ie towels or flowers even at 9.15pm.
The worst part here was the total disrespect and disgusting way that you are treated over your bar tab! when you order a drink at the bar even if all inc, which we were not, you had to sign a chit that was no bother , but this is where it is flawed some of the staff would wait until you had finished drinking to get you to sign others wouldn't, so I asked each time I ordered drinks or food at lunch I asked for the bill to sign, this to was flawed as they didn't bring it to you, if you then went to dinner you were chased and the bill waved under your nose to sign. you were pounced on as you left your dinner if you ordered a drink to sign for it, the worst part of this was as we were talking to another guest on our way out the staff demanded the lady we were talking to to sign her bill as she was in mid sentence. As for us on our final night we were in the middle of eating our dinner we had a waiter approach us and asked us to sign for the 2 drinks we ordered and then reminded us to go pay our final bill as we were leaving in the morning, this I found to be outrageous and insulting, I don't need to be told to remember to pay my bill.
We also had a waiter come up to us and say we didn't sign for some drinks and when we questioned this, it wasn't even us that had order drinks. There is a definately a lack of training of the service to provide to the guests, and the staff's lack of attention to the guests.
We had several problems with the room from the smell of sewers from the shower, which was sorted, the air con which we couldn't get to work, asked housekeeping they played with it and said it was working, but it didn't until we rang up and complained and we had it fixed 2 nights before we left. One night we went to bed about 9.30pm we had just dropped off to sleep and we were woken up by a loud banging noise, which would start and stop, this went on for about 30mins so I called reception and asked them to see if they could sort this, 20mins later the banging carried on so I rang again, eplained it was still happening and they put the phone down on me which I thought was rude! the banging contiued so this time I went to the front office and complained in person, I asked for a manager and when 1 appeared he told me it was the music from the bar, I informed him this was incorrect as I saw that there was maintenance work being carried out by the pool which I saw on my way to speak to him.
The food when you went to breakfast and dinner was always luke warm and only hot if it was cooked in front of you ie eggs or pasta. Now I don't normally complain about food as I will just about anything hot or cold but even I got a little bit fed up with the food and sub standard quality ie cordial/powdered instead of fresh juice(you had to pay for fresh even if all inc) Although on a good note my wife was struggling to find something to eat 1 night and asked the chef if pasta was on the menu and he said no, he then asked if she would like some and he went and made her some so thank you Gem the first & only bit of service we recieved.It is a shame the rest could not follow suit. We did speak to the new manager Donald on the night we were leaving and told him of our problems so some might get sorted, Donald you have a uphill battle on your hands as far as getting the service issues sorted.
There was no life in this resort no music around the pool and no staff coming around to see if anyone wanted things,nothing much to do in the evening as only cricket on tv in bar area a pool table but no air con so unbearable to sit in bar area as so hot and humid, the Spa people only came out the last day we were there, if there was an entertainment person we never saw them.
Beach was unuseable as for beachboys lining the edge of the resort trying to attract your attention or poolboys saying there was somebody wanting to speak to you,if you went you were followed and asked to go on trips just say no and you were still followed so it made it unenjoyable to go to the beach, the beach itself wasn't that great not the resorts fault.
All in all this has been the worst holiday we have had.

On a good note the resort was clean and tidy it could be a really good resort once service issues are addressed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SLML, Manager at AVANI Kalutara Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent stay. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your expectations.

It is nice to know that our chef had been able to shed some light on the service levels we aspire to have and we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Your feedback will assist us to improve our service levels in the future.

Your comments regarding the bill approval process, reception staff service levels, service delays in outlets and all other constructive feedback has been taken into consideration and the associates in these areas will be trained on soft skills and service delivery to enhance the overall customer experience. The management has already scheduled training sessions and are also evaluating the operational aspect of the bill approval process. We have taken your feedback very constructively, and are working rigorously on improving our service standards.

Once again, we are sorry for the way you felt during your stay. We hope you will accept my assurance and visit us again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Jude Silva
Resident Manager

Been to AVANI Kalutara Resort? Share your experiences!