“Get some customer srrvice training for your staff!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of AVANI Kalutara Resort

You added AVANI Kalutara Resort to your Saves list
AVANI Kalutara Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   St. Sebastian's Road | Katukurunda, Kalutara 0001, Sri Lanka   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% Off Room Rate
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kalutara
A TripAdvisor Member
“Get some customer srrvice training for your staff!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Facilities and infrastructure of the resort are pretty high quality with all the required amenities, etc provided.

However, in a word the service - SUCKS!

First learn Basic english so you can interact with your guests (I am srilankan by the way, but I still expect a SERVICE INDUSTRY INDIVIDUAL to know english!)

Secondly be accommodating to your guests. You are trying to run a resort, I can sincerely say out of say 30 - 40 staff I interacted with, atleast 90% of em had only a scowl on their face at any time, maybe 1 or 2 had a smile!

Food was maybe a 2.5-3/5 for quality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a lovely hotel. We had a great 10 day's at the Avani. The rooms are excellent , being kept spotlessly clean and sheets and towels changed daily. The food really made it for us. The choice is outstanding for curry lovers and non curry lovers. I personally managed to have some form of curry with each meal, even with my breakfast bacon and eggs. But that was my choice.
You will find good and bad comments about the beach boys. They can be a pain but if you tell them you are not interested they will leave you alone. We did go on one trip with one of them by tuk tuk to Bentota and I have to say we had a great day which included a trip on the river in our very own boat with a very knowledgeable skipper who pointed out wildlife on ever step of the journey. Just one word of warning they will try to get you to visit gift shops where I guess they earn commission. We told them up front no shops and all was fine.
A walk along the beach heading north gives outstanding views of the ocean, beach and coconut palms. We had a beer in one of the small restaurants on the beach whilst watching the fishermen haul their nets in. We were told that the sea food served in these beach restaurants is superb but not being a fish eater I can't confirm this. A trip in to Kalutara is interesting, we visited the Buddhist temple and chose a guide to take us round. You don't pay for the guide but you are asked to make a donation to the temple.
I only rated the spa average and this was because we did not use the facility and there is not an option to say I don't have any experience.
All in all I would certainly recommend the Avani

Room Tip: Sea and river views are available on request. We had a courtyard view which did not bother us at all...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We took a winter week out to stay in the Avani and had a wonderful experience. The staff were so polite and helpful. There was nothing they would not do to ensure our happiness. Our room was beautiful with a sea view. It was cleaned every day without fail. The restaurant offered traditional food as well as western and also had a theme for each night. The pools were spotless and the child's pool was clean and safe. The pool guys reserved us loungers with a shade. Some points to consider are that if you bring a push chair access to pool and restaurant are not easy although staff helped when necessary. The red flag was out most days but we managed to swim on one day. The beach boys are touting for business but if you don't want any tours they will leave you alone with a polite chat. The spa will pamper you with relaxing massage if that's what you want. Alternatively if you want an Ayurvedic massage go along the beach and around the cove, behind the restaurant you will find Nilantha at the Royal Ayurvedic Massage Centre. He is an experienced practitioner who looked after us at a fraction of the cost of the spa, we felt so fortunate to find him. Thanks Sri Lanka we love you.

Room Tip: Room 339 is a Sea view on the third floor with a wonderful vista
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8830 Tjele, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It is an ok 4 star hotel,but the many black birds by the pool [--] on everything will in time kill this hotel if not taken care of. After 4 days we where glad to get away from the bird noise
We upgraded the room so we got a river view, and we didn´t have to look at a building wall.
You cannot take a swim from the beach, the waves are coming hard in from the Indian Ocean.
Inside the hotel is 4 star, but next time Sri Lanka we will go for a hotel with not so many black birds.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Sri Lanka. We especially took this hotel because of the calm location;
it is not the ideal place to go with kids.
Hotel is very nice and beatiful refurbished.
We had a warm welcome with a nice moctail. The only thing missing is a welcome brochure with restaurant opening hours and an overview of the possible activities. We had to find out ourselves.
The staff at this hotel is very friendly, helpful and polite, always with a smile on their face and ready to please.
We took a superiour room with lagoon vieuw. Room was very clean, bit small for a superior but nice. The housekeeping starts quit early so hang a "do not disturb" sign to your door.
Food was good, there was a big variety for every meal. We missed a bit the choice on fish.
Beach is clean, but see is a bit too rough to swim, but as there is a nice swimming pool that is never overcrowded, it is not an issue; If you go to the beacht, the beach boys will try to sell you excursions, but if you say you're not interessted they will leave you alone.

All by all a good hotel price/quality

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stuck out on a peninsula, about 20km north of Bentota beach, this rather large hotel/complex is tastefully decorated and provides enough to make your stay memorable.

The hotel sports a modern design and a welcoming staff all within picturesque setting. The grounds are nice, there are various tables/chairs with views of the bay or sea which mean you can sit in different places and feel like you've changed location. The indoor and poolside bar are both tasteful in decor and design. The hotel is on the beach but the sea is rather dangerous, so I would recommend swimming.

At busy times there doesn't seem to be enough chairs by the pool. The food in the restaurant was really good. Please can I recommend the Marlin and the Red Snapper, both very nice.

One big downside is the location, you are rather isolated. However this may appeal.

All in all I thought the staff were very helpful and friendly, I liked the bar and restaurant and the grounds were relaxing and picturesque. I'd stay here again.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel February 2013 for 8 nights. The hotel itself was clean and had good facilities. The bathroom was nice, the rain shower was great, and our bed was big, comfy and clean. The pool was also nice. However, the customer service was non-existent. For example:

- every morning we were sat at a table that was dirty and not made up with cutlery. We had to ask, every morning, for them to give us cutlery and cups, and then it took them ages, like 10 minutes. I complained about this on the third day to the duty manager (a chef!?) and said that the staff did not seem to have any basic training. He apologised, and then agreed with me, saying that they did not in fact have any basic training! Nothing changed.

- There was fresh 'mixed fruit juice' at breakfast, but everything else (e.g. orange juice) was just cordial. I asked for a glass of fresh juice and was told no, unless I wanted to pay extra for it. I thought this was a real cheek, given how much we'd already paid to stay at the hotel. I told the waiter that I wasn't happy about this at all, and he ignored me and walked off. He didn't even ask a manager to come and talk to me, he just wasn't bothered. There was a general unwillingness to take responsibility or be helpful among all the staff.

- The food was really poor quality. We paid £60 for lobster for the two of us one evening, and it was pretty disgusting and tough. We complained; nothing was done.

- The staff seemed to be uber-keen to be tipped, even though they weren't very helpful. When we first arrived, after about 20 hours travelling, and at which point I was feeling quite ill, the porter who carried our suitcases to the room stodd there with his hand out for a tip, and didn't leave until my boyfriend had rooted around in our luggage to find our money to give him something!

- I asked the hotel reception if they could arrange a taxi to take us to a town (Galle) the following day so we could have a look around. The answer was no. The receptionist suggested I go to the street outside the hotel and find my own (which I did). There was no concierge service at all.

- Despite Sri Lanka's reputation for tea and coffee, we could only get instant coffee and nasty tasting tea bags (of one variety only) at the hotel. This was really disappointing.

- There was no managerial presence at the hotel, no one seemed to be in control. At breakfast, things would run out (such as the plate of bananas), and no one would have the presence of mind to replace them, until I specifically instructed them, and then it would take about 10 minutes.

We got more and more annoyed as the holiday progressed, because even after complaining, there was just no improvement. At other hotels (such as the Amangalla and Jetwing Lighthouse) the level of service was much better, and even if the waiters were not great, there would be a manager with experience keeping an eye on them. There was really no one at the Avani who was taking any charge.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AVANI Kalutara Resort? Share your experiences!