Our family (4 kids+2adults) went on trip of a lifetime from Ireland to Sri Lanka in August 2012. After a superb tour of Sri Lanka where we stayed in a range of locations we arrived at the Mermaid.
We were looking forward to concluding a wonderful trip with five nights of a beach stay with an all inclusive package.
With hindsight we should have been sensitive to the polite message when our guide went out of his way each time we mentioned the hotel to say that it was not booked by his local company.
On arrival the rooms we were shown to had a horrible smell in them which we were assured would clear with the air conditioning - it didn't - it just got worse. (It turned out to be from the plumbing/sanitation.)
When I placed the key of the room in the card holder the switch sparked and exploded loudly cutting out the power in the room. I was taken aback and shocked (literally) and when I reported it to reception the maintenance guy called just flicked a trip switch and told me not to put the keycard in again!
The rooms themselves were shabby and unclean - a bit like a 1970's family holiday camp which hadn't been updated or even well cleaned. The door to the bathroom was swollen and wouldn't close -The TV with it's sellotaped remote had seen better days and all the presenters who appeared had green faces which gave the kids a bit of a laugh and us a little light relief. The curtains in the room were stained and unclean and the woodwork was splashed with untidy paint marks.
We desperately tried to keep up a brave face and took a walk around the premises and onto the beach where things just didn't get any better. The exit to the beach was filled with emaciated dogs and a large group of beach sellers who on the day appeared intimidating. On walking the beach it was filthy - litter and plastic strewn all around both left and right of the hotel frontage and just uncared for.
When we returned to the restaurant I attempted to add an additional chair to our table but the arm of the chair just came away when I lifted it.
The most diplomatic thing I can say is that after travelling a long way around the globe the quality of the Mermaid hotel was not what we expected and definitely not reflective of the reviews we read on trip advisor.The experience was so much at odds with other locations in Sri Lanka that despite the inconvienience we insisted on moving.
Although we had to pay up front to move, lost 24 hours of our short holiday and our tour operator got no refund from the mermaid it was the best decision we made on the trip. Thankfully by moving from the Mermaid we saved a memorable holiday in Sri Lanka from being destroyed.
We moved to an alternative hotel ( Detail available if you want to email me) down the coast which was a pleasure to behold with quality clean accommodation, superb food, a golden beach with wild turtles and easy access to the local town and surrounding attractions. The contrast between the two locations could not have been greater- if you intend travelling to beautiful Sri Lanka please ensure your accomodation is of a standard befitting the experience- The mermaid is not!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mermaid Hotel & Club lies on the golden sands of Mahawaskaduwa; a cosy fishing village in the city of Kalutara which is of religious significance, just 24 miles south of Colombo and 45 miles from the International airport. It is cleverly nestled in a vast coconut grove along a stretch of golden, sandy beach; a perfect get-away for sun, sand and sea lovers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Mermaid & Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Mermaid And Club
- Resort All Inclusive Mermaid
- Mermaid Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Mermaid & Club Sri Lanka/Kalutara