“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaffna
Morgan's
You added Morgan's to your Saves list
Jaffna, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Jaffna
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and found Lawrence and Maria very hospitable. We had different Sri Lankan breakfasts each day and they helped us order takeaway the night we arrived when we didn't have enough energy to go out.
The room was quite dark, but comfortable with the a/c running, and clean.
We enjoyed 2 day trips with Lawrence (one to the islands and another to the peninsula) and lunch at his mother's home in point Pedro was a particular highlight.
We also got him to drive us to trincomolee in his comfortable van and the trip went very smoothly.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Like the title says, the room I stayed in for four nights was good. But the housekeeper, an extraordinary grumpy woman, more interested in business than in ensuring a pleasant stay, subtracts two of the five possible points. The last point goes with a really and pricey bad breakfast. I guess the high ratings and recommendations come with the fact that this place has one of the few licenses for selling alcohol in Jaffna.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were a family group of four staying over 2 nights. The two double rooms were reasonably comfortable and clean although one ensuite bathroom became a goldfish-bowl at night due to the proxiimity of the unscreened large window to the street just a few feet away. Our otherwise OK stay was considerably soured by housekeeper Maria presenting a bill of Rs.3500 (only made clear in writing after I demanded to see a breakdown of the verbal checkout charge) for a simple rice & curry lunch, when we had had far more elaborate meals at nearby restaurants for half that price. When queried, her unconvincing reply was that it included some cups of morning tea - and the sudden reticence in her manner only served to confirm my suspicions...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Morgan's residence was raved about in Lonely Planet (Angie's bed, imagine!), and it is a very nice place to unwind. Maria can be a little rough, and it seems tourists are more of service to the guesthouse then the other way around.
Lawrence is a REALLY great guy, and altough the day ride is a little expensive (6500Rs), it was the highlight of our stay in Jaffna, mainly because of him. He really goes out of his way to help you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I traveled alone to Jaffna and stayed two nights at Morgan's. The room I got was quite nice, towel, bathroom and bed, everything was fine and I looked forward to a nice stay there.

But other than that, it wasn't too welcoming. No tea offered to me and other guests staying there, no breakfast offered (she pointed me to a small vendor across the street) and generally not really the most hospitable person, but not unfriendly either.

When I asked to visit some places and inquired about busses, she had no idea which busses to take and when. She called a tuktuk for me and the guy barely spoke English. So I was 5 minutes to late for my bus and had to wait another 55 minutes.
She also didn't really tell me much of what there is to see at places and it was all a bit vague. She runs the place for years now, a bit more help would have been quite nice and its not that she's got too much work to do with 4 rooms either.

The interesting thing is, some other friends went there later and it felt as though we were talking of different places. Breakfast, tea and she even brought my friends to the bus station. Very strange, this selective treatment of different people.

In general, really nothing bad to stay there, just a bit disappointed

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

i got in for three days and left after one night because maria treated me like dirt. the nice treatment is only reserved for white folks or NGO people as Maria refers to them.

Its a nice place though the water needs cleaning in the fish pond out front; the sign is down; there is some kind of machine that is broken and stored next to the big dining table in the large dining room.

on the face of it it is seemingly pleasant and charming but look beneath the surface its not a very nice place. my big problem with morgan's was maria. if you are treated like a human being (or at least as a customer) these little imperfections do not matter but maria does not know that.

when i walked in maria immediately shushed me saying not to talk because a guest was sleeping. i was not shouting. a little later a man (caucasian) in a suit was speaking very loud and maria was happily bowing and scraping to him.

when i got in i asked for breakfast she said i should go to the tea shop across the street (and i did as i was hungry) but when i returned maria was serving a hot breakfast to a caucasian man.

when i got in that morning i asked for a glass in the room and an extra towel (there was no glass and just one puny towel). i also asked for a mosquito coil because there were a few mosquitoes in the room - she said she had to buy some and was going to market that morning and would bring some. although there were no more than three people in the guest house (and who were unseen) she completely ignored my requests.

by late morning or early afternoon still no glass and no mosquito coils and no second towel. i had to call lawrence (her husband i was told) in colombo and ask him if she was treating me differently because i was not white. i explained her attitude in full detail and he apologized profusely and told me not to worry it would be all ok. maria saw me and asked me why i called her husband and said i should not have done that. i sat and had a chat with her to explain that i was paying Rs3000 a night like everyone else and that she should remember i was a customer like everyone else. she apologized and got me the glass and towel. she never got me the mosquito coil (which I purchased when i was in town that evening).

i ordered dinner before i left to tour for the day and when i returned well before the appointed time and sat down to eat; the meal was ice cold. when i asked her to please warm it because i don't like cold dinner (it was string hoppers and vegetable curries - no meat or fish) she flatly refused. so i was stuck with cold dinner. (in retrospect i should have refused to eat or to pay and eaten biscuits instead). i went to my room and immediately booked another place for the rest of my stay and said to myself i will not stay here another night if they can't be so much as bothered to put out a hot meal. it was Rs.500 for the strings and veg. it was tasty but cold thus unappetizing. i stayed one night because it was very late and i had nowhere to go.

the AC kept going off and there were mosquitoes in the room.

i paid the bill the next morning and left with my driver. guess what. as i was leaving she came right up to the door of the van to ask me where the glass was! it was really horrible. i think there is something seriously wrong with maria or she thinks that brown people should not be trusted or treated like any other white person who comes to morgan's.

i heard about Maria' (which is really Morgan's) from a chap from USAID who i had run into at Barefoot in Colombo who told me that it was nice and pleasant and ideal for a woman travelling alone. but as i found out the niceness and pleasantness and hot meals are only reserved for you if you are not brown.

When I sat at the big table with my driver to discuss my itinerary for the next day Maria told me not to sit there. She said she did not want drivers there. I told her he was my guest and completely ignored her. What a horrible woman and what a horrible place.

i practice law in canada and was travelling in jaffna. I spoke to lawrence but people like maria and even lawrence should be carefully watched and monitored. they will show a happy face to people who do not look sri lankan (as in not white) but will bow and scrape and say yes yes yes if you are white.

i would personally boycott this joint. horrible. thank heavens i had a thick skin and got out of there fast and went to Yarl Pardy. Not fancy but absolutely decent folks. They don't serve meals but will be happy to buy food from out and bring it. The place is not fancy but very clean. Most of all the staff and manager there treat you with honesty and respect which apparently you can't always find in the fancier places like Morgans.

Don't go here unless of course you are white. they speak a different language to white people. And may be the fact that I was brown, female and travelled alone was a taboo in maria's head. horrific really.

horrific.

Room Tip: don't go here if you are brown - you will be treated differently - indeed appallingly.