“Luxurious, Comfortable, Relaxation and many more....” 5 of 5 stars

Aditya
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   719/1 Galle Road, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
England, United Kingdom
“Luxurious, Comfortable, Relaxation and many more....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Situated between the ancient city of Galle and the party town of Hikkaduwa, Aditya is a small, luxurious boutique hotel and boasts that their rooms are among the largest and lavishly decorated and intimate. I can say that is true without any hesitation.

The hotel is named after the group of dieties who according to Hindu mythology gives sun its life and energy. There are 12 rooms and each is named after the dieties. The rooms either face the garden or the ocean and are unique in their layout and decor which are furnished with local antiques and art.

There is no doubt about getting your privacy and personal attention here and there is nothing lacking when it comes to luxury and comfort. The rooms are equipped with what you normally expect from this kind of a hotel and an added luxury is the private plunge pool you get in your room.

The hotel menu is varied and comprise of local and western dishes and the best thing I noticed was that there are no restrictions on the mealtimes. You can have your meals in the privacy of your room, in the dining room with a magnificient view of the sea or on the beach if you so wish to do so. The Chef will cook a meal the way you want it and the time you want it. The food they serve there is excellent.

The hotel has a nice swimming pool and a long stretch of secluded beach which is ideal for sunbathing and you feel as if you are in your own private beach. The best thing that got my attention was the spa service where you can relax in your own room and yet have the benefit of
the experts attending on you to relax and relieve the stress of your travel woes.

All in all I strongly recommend this hotel if you want the luxury and comfort and you can forget the outside world for a day or two if you stay here. However, it is on the expensive side but you get your value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms with a ocean view are the best as yu can watch the sea sitting on the balcony which makes you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Manager-Aditya, General Manager at Aditya, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Ayubowan!

Thank you for your great comments of Aditya! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and the luxuries and comforts of Aditya.

We look forward to welcoming you for another relaxing stay with us!

Shami & the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am completely baffled by the good reviews for the Aditya Resort as I was totally underwhelmed by the place. There's certainly far more impressive boutique hotels on Sri Lanka. I am so pleased that I could only get a 2 night stay. I had originally planned to stay a week. Thank heavens that didn't happen.

I think what really bugs me is the way the owner of this hotel describes it as 'exclusive and luxurious' - clearly he's never been to such places, if he had he'd realise he's got a long way to go before joining the upper ranks of boutique hospitality. This hotel, built in 2006, somehow manages to feel like something from the 1970's which could feature in a British sitcom supposedly filmed in Spain. The awful TV show Duty Free comes to mind.

What is very clear to me is that most people come to Sri Lanka and do a tour of the country - all inland - and their final day or two is spent by the beach. And after travelling inland I can totally understand how a little place by the beach can seem like heaven. However, apart from Colombo, I have only stayed at small hotels on the coast and worked my way around some of the islands beaches. And I'm sorry to say the Aditya was the most disappointing - and the only one I shall completely erase from my memory.

1. Our room upon arrival hadn't been cleaned properly. The previous occupants were obviously smokers as the ashtrays were still full. And the water in the plunge pool was stangnant. So I have no idea how many previous occupants may have used it.

2. There are some attractive photos on the website of the suites, and even though we booked one of the better ones, our suite wasn't as remotely appealing as anything on the website.

3. I found the decoration of the hotel gaudy - orange and lime green should never be seen unless in a fruit bowl. And whoever thought someone would want to wake up of a morning and see a lime green wall ....

4. The lighting in our Ocean View Suite was awful. A wonderful huge room - but such  uninspiring decoration. They really should hire an interior decorator to do something amazing. The whole hotel is crying out for someone to do something incredible with it. But I very much suspect the owner has also dictated the interior design - and to be blunt - he has no flair or taste for such matters.

5. Contrary to some other reviews I liked the bathroom - nice and big - and I liked that it was open to the elements. Not sure of the point of a cold water plunge pool /Jacuzzi unless you can have a warm soak in it. Do people have cold Jacuzzis?There were even bath salts on the side for the Jacuzzi - but who puts bath salts in cold water? Anyway, as previously mentioned the water in it had not been cleaned and was stagnant, so we weren't going to use it. So that was a waste of money. The shower space in the bathroom is nice and large - but the shower head only pokes out a small way from the wall so you end up bashing your arms and elbos against the taps whilst trying to get under the water. Poor design.

6. I never did like the photos of the open restaurant, so I guess I can't complain about not liking the real thing. I thought it had all the charm of an outdoor canteen. Again, it's begging for an interior designer to do something incredible with the space. And once again, someone lacking in any taste selected the most ridiculous cutlery to ever be handled. Ugly and awkward.

7. The suite had a good hard bed (if you like hard beds) .. and I guess the hotel owner has a sense of humour considering there was a copy of the Kama Sutra on the bedside table ( I guess it makes a change from the Bible which no one reads). And he also includes a condom in the bathroom. Make of that what you will ...

8. At nearly $550 a night, definitely not worth it, and that didn't even include breakfast. I'll happily pay double that price if something is good. But this was $550 a night down the drain.

9. I'm certainly not going to knock any of the staff. They all try their best and are willing to assist. Plus, the hotel was kept clean. And thank heavens there was no piped music.

10. The pool area is small - thankfully very few people were staying here at the same time as us so the area was quiet. The hotel isn't on a great stretch of beach it reminded me of many in India - it's more like a locals beach - though that's not a complaint. All day it's deserted, then around 4 or 5pm mothers and fathers bring their children to do their ablutions .. and if you're unlucky you will come across men doing their 'toilet' duties and burying it in the sand. But that's the culture - you have to accept it. However, there are far more beautiful 'postcard perfect' beaches in Sri Lanka.

11. Many have reviewed the food, and those reviews swayed me into staying here. I thought this was going to be the Aditya's saving grace. It wasn't. The menu is far too vast. There is no chef on God's earth that can cook good Sri Lankan, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Italian and various other dishes all to an excellent standard in one kitchen. It's impossible. The endlessly manhandled 'menus' put before you have way too many options, and your mind will create a scene from Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares where he discovers, as always, that menus this vast contain masses of pre-prepared dishes stored in freezers. And that's exactly what you get here. I ate food that I know for certain was not freshly prepared, and what was put before me had all the taste and allure of cardboard. Of course, the hotel owner will disagree and state everything is freshly made, but I know different. The menus here will excite the Nando's and Denny's customer. Junk food with a long shelf life, covered in gloopy sauces, full of additives. And it's many of these same people who will think the Aditya is an 'exclusive luxury boutique' which isn't remotely exclusive or luxurious. It's a mid-range small hotel mostly catering to the package holiday traveller, and that's why you wont find it on any websites that promote 'exclusive luxurious' properties.

If anyone truly leaves the Aditya thinking this is an exclusive luxurious hotel then I will question their mental stability or presume they are new to travel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manager-Aditya, General Manager at Aditya, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Ayubowan!

We are sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at Aditya, and we always welcome constructive criticism. However, we have to take issue with some of your comments. We feel they grossly misrepresent the nature of our hotel, make thoughtless generalizations about our clientele, and impugn the culture of our country.

You claim that your suite was not cleaned before you occupied it, and that the plunge pool had stagnant water. We clean our suites thoroughly as soon as they are vacated by departing guests. The plunge pools are drained and scrubbed as a matter of course, and then refilled with fresh water. If the suite and pool were not to your satisfaction for any reason, you could have brought it to our attention at the time. We have no record or recollection of such a complaint.

Contrary to your assertions, the photographs of the property on our website are as accurate and authentic as possible. We have not enhanced or doctored them in any way. If there are any doubts, Tripadvisor users can easily access traveller photos and compare them with our own.

We regret that you found our interior decoration and lighting not to your liking, but that is a matter of taste. To each his/her own. It’s worth noting that an overwhelming majority of our guests have commented very favourably and commended the Aditya style.

Our plunge pools are intended to provide a cool, refreshing dip in the privacy of the suite on our usual sunny days and warm nights.

Our restaurant is open to the sounds and breezes coming from the sea. Again the vast majority of our guests enjoy that airy beachside ambience. They also tend to be extremely positive and complimentary about the meals we serve, as you yourself have pointed out.

You are, however, wholly incorrect in your presumption that our food items are pre-made and stored in freezers. Nothing could be further from the truth. We do not even have a cold-room at Aditya. Only certain meats and other imported ingredients are stored in a freezer. Every dish we serve is prepared to order from the freshest produce we can source.

It is unfortunate that you have made a glib and erroneous reference to Sri Lankan ‘culture’. Whatever our other faults, the revolting behaviour you have described is certainly not the norm in this country. In our 7 years of operation, we have never observed such a phenomenon on our stretch of beach, nor have any of our guests ever reported it.

Equally ill-considered is your contention that anyone who thinks Aditya is exclusive or luxurious should have their mental stability questioned. We have only 12 rooms. Each is an individually decorated suite with a minimum of 750 sq. ft. of space. Each has a private plunge pool, a private garden view or an expansive balcony with a sea view. We are a Tripadvisor 2013 Traveler’s Choice Winner in the Luxury, Best Service, and Small Hotel categories. We’ll leave the readers with these indisputable facts, and urge them to draw their own conclusions.

Regards,
Shami & the Aditya Team
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is on a tiny piece of land but it is truly gorgeous. We stayed in the Sagara suite which was on the 2nd floor. The rooms and bathrooms are huge and the service is excellent. Also had a superb couples massage at the spa, and it's not hard to get an appointment since ther are so few rooms. It's nice and private for couples, and all the suites feature large balconies.

The pool is small but nice, with sea views and a poolside bar. The food was excellent - room service is prompt and courteous. My only complaint was that the water in the jacuzzi was freezing as there is only a cold water tap to it.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager-Aditya, General Manager at Aditya, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Ayubowan!

Thank you for such a great review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the rooms, the food and the ambiance at Aditya!

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope you visit us again!

Warmest Regards
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at Aditya for four nights over new year 2012/13. This was the final part of our 2 weeks trip around Sri Lanka. It was the perfect ending! We cannot praise this hotel and the personell working there enough.

If you are looking for relaxation, high quality food, outstanding service and a friendly atmosphere - look no further! Oh, we forgot to mention the stunning beach that you have almost to yourself also. Swimming though is not that easy since the waves are rather high.

We stayed in one of the ocean suites and the room was very beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable (excellent bed and pillows). The bathroom was grand indeed - with one side opening to the ocean and the private balcony with its lovely little plunge pool.

Everything in this hotel is thought through in detail; the interior, the pool, the spa, the food and service. The food was of very high quality, and very reasonably priced. The chef Namal and his team did a great job and the 9 course gala dinner served at New Year's Eve was truly something special.

Aditya is also very special to us as we got married on the beach there. Our wedding day was very nicely arranged by the hotel and front desk manager Hasitha, who really took care of us. We want to highlight the service, it was perfect and friendly. A gesture such as arranging a photographer to take photos of our wedding is something we really appreciated.

We are sure that we will return to Aditya again!

Ayubowan!

Thank you for your kind words and we are so so glad you joined us for the New Year Festivities and that you enjoyed the evening and your entire stay!

We are also thrilled that you chose Aditya as your wedding venue. It was a truly special wedding and we were honoured to have had it on the beaches of Aditya!

We look forward to welcoming you at Aditya soon!

Shami & the Aditya Team
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a lovely hotel right on the most beautiful stretch of deserted beach but within 20 minutes by taxi or three wheeler drive to Galle.
The suites are huge with beautiful sea facing terraces, an enormous bathroom opening onto the sea with a jacuzzi. The rooms are beautifully maintained and serviced. The hotel lounge and dining room are open- aired and look at the beach through small but beautiful gardens. There is a good pool (essential as the sea bathing can be challenging as the currents and waves are strong).
The service was attentive and charming throughout and the food is good subject to one comment below. The chef is charming and came to talk to us a couple of times . He has trained at the Blue Elephant in Bangkok as well as locally so has a number of Thai suggestions on the menu. Breakfasts here were of a particularly high quality.
In an effort to meet everyone's requests there is a huge and varied menu which is available at lunch and dinner. We found that this made dinner a less special experience and we suspected due to the breadth of menu it couldn't possibly all be fresh and it was hard to work out what would be particulary good on the day. It would be better if there was a daily changing more limited menu ( with the option of requests). That said we ate fantastic tuna and mahi mahi here.
Overall we had a wonderful time here both relaxing by the pool, walking on the beach and exploring the beautiful town of Galle.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are the best. There are garden rooms which do not look at the sea.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ayubowan!

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Aditya!

We will definitely take into consideration your thoughts on our menu and appreciate your constructive criticism and we are glad that you enjoyed what we had to offer on the menu.

We look forward to welcoming you at Aditya once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This hotel is absolutely stunning. From the moment you walk through the entrance you are made to feel welcome by all of the staff members and the peaceful surroundings. The rooms are amazing and the best I have ever experienced. We stayed in a Sagara Suite which has an ocean-facing jacuzzi on the balcony and fantastic views across the pool and out to the sea. The bathroom is huge and features a rainfall shower opening out onto the sea. The food here is exceptional, especially the breakfast that is served in your room, and meals/room service are surprisingly reasonably priced. I booked the 'Aditya Signature Massage' which was provided in our room and was an excellent way to relax and enjoy the room. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and were extremely accommodating. A special thanks must go to the manager Shamindra who was exceptional in arranging for a room for my girlfriend to rest after she fell ill after we were supposed to check out. Overall I could not speak highly enough of this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a Sagara Suite (ocean-facing)...you will not regret it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Aditya, General Manager at Aditya, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Ayubowan!

Thank you for posting your great review of Aditya on Tripadvisor!

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and our teams effort to make your trip memorable. it was a pleasure having you with us and hope that you will visit us soon! We hope that your partner is feeling better! it was an honour to have helped you out during your stay at Aditya.

Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Aditya is a very good hotel. For sure, this hotel has all of the beginnings of something special.

A spacious lobby and lounge with very comfortable seating areas, open plan dining rooms with plenty of tables. The hotel is situated right next to a beautiful beach, which as I understand isn't private but may as well be. There are no other hotels visible on the long stretch of beach on which the Aditya sits.

It's a short drive from the hustle and bustle of Hikkaduwa Road; 20 minutes from Galle. You can therefore escape the main Hikkaduwa area but you can at least experience that once or twice during a long stay, then also enjoy the World Heritage site of Galle on another day.

I read somewhere that the hotel has 50 staff to 8 rooms. This of course means that when you need a drink or a table, it's a breeze.

The food: it's really good! The price was very good in our opinion. At breakfast you can have anything you want inclusive of the BB rate.

Staff: brilliant on the whole, they have clearly been trained well and - apart from incidents mentioned below - we were very impressed with how polite and efficient the restaurant and bar team are.

I do sense inconsistencies though, I'm reading the scores of 5 on here and I sense that something is therefore missing from our stay, especially at the price that we paid; 550 USD per night after the New Year period. Whilst the room was nice, I wasn't able to give it a 5. Perhaps because I stayed in one of the Shanthi suites instead of the rooms with two floors facing the sea. There wasn't enough natural light for my liking. Also, the bathroom is very open; this was a cool design but the main building is situated right next to one of the suites and seems to overlook the bathroom. Not a major problem, but in the evening a tad peculiar. The bed didn't rate as 5* for us either, but I imagine the perfect bed is a challenge for any hotel. For 550 USD a night, I think I should've had a superior room.

One member of staff wasn't always warm. I'm not sure if he was the manager but he didn't seem like the type who would go out of his way to please everybody. I didn't ever see him in the main area of the hotel, which surprised me. There wasn't the possibility of a late checkout unfortunately, and he was the chap who broke this news to us. I am sure the Aditya is a popular resort and the rooms are on rotation quickly, but some more gentleness on his part would've been nice. Many five star hotels have some other kind of arrangement for those who would like a few extra hours in the hotel, something the Aditya should look into in the future. Especially as many of the flights from Colombo airport leave from 9pm right up until 3am, this would be a nice extra touch from the Aditya.

The staff will be very friendly during your stay, but at times they try too hard to have a conversation. Of course, it's generally better that the staff will spend some time having a chit chat with you, and will keep it short. However, some times it may not be desirable and the staff should watch out for this. 90% of the time the team have this right; but on one occasion one member of staff tried far too hard to tell us about his life and the other cities and hotels he'd worked in, it was an inopportune time. The conversation dragged on for about 10 minutes and felt rather uncomfortable. He came back a second time later on and kept the chat shorter then, to under 2-3 minutes, that conversation would be enough for any guest.

The hotel has a spa, but we didn't use it. It also has a fitness center with a few machines, a nice touch.

Overall, a pleasant stay and the hotel just needs some fine tuning.

Ayubowan!

Thank you for taking the time review Aditya and our team. We are glad that you have enjoyed the food and the service and the sites that surround Aditya.

We would also like to thank you for bringing to our attention any shortcomings that may have made your stay less than perfect. The Sagara Suites, with the Ocean View, do offer a different view from the Shanthi Suites and we are extremely sorry that you did not enjoy the suite that was allocated. The Penthouse that you have mentioned however, is Surya, our Grand Suite.

Also, we are extremely sorry to have that our answer about the late checkout was not given cordially. We do try to accommodate late check outs wherever possible but the high season in December and January unfortunately did not allow us to accommodate your request this time.

Thank you for highlighting the issues regarding the staff. We appreciate this valuable feedback and will advise our team on these matters so that they maintain an unobtrusive service through our guests’ stay.

We are extremely sorry about any inconvenience caused and hope that you will come back soon and try our Spa, Nirvana, and also try one of the Sagara Suites, which we feel you might enjoy more!

Shami & the Team

Been to Aditya? Share your experiences!