“Very Nice Stay At Hikkaduwa Beach Hotel But Beware!” 4 of 5 stars

Hikkaduwa Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   298 Galle Road, Hikkaduwa 80240, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Very Nice Stay At Hikkaduwa Beach Hotel But Beware!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I along with my cousin's family and friends stayed at this hotel for just1 night in last year November (2012). When we reached there all tired because of the journey, our rooms were allocated immediately.

We freshened up and the gang of girls decided to take a dip in the pool as it was late to access the beach. That just lifted our moods up and following that we had dinner and the manager told us that he has a DJ arranged for our group (about 25 of us). We had fun dancing away to some Bollywood dance tracks! The hotel is beach facing and we spent some time lazing at the beach deck late at night and enjoying the sounds of the waves. Loved it!!

Accommodation: We were lucky to get a room (pool view) on the top floor, which were the new ones, so they were quite spacious and clean. However, the older rooms in the floors below were old, chipped, and some of them also did not have a proper rectangular room layout. Try and avoid those.

Food: Food was pretty decent compared to some other places we ate before. So no complaints in that respect. We had buffet dinner and breakfast there, both were good.

Location: The best part- it is beach facing. We tried snorkeling the next day which was super fun.

Service - Cant comment much, as I did not try room service. But otherwise the staff was very courteous and warm.

Overall, if you can ensure getting the new rooms, I would say "go for it". However, the older rooms are complete No-No!

Room Tip: Take the new rooms on the top floor, other floor rooms are old and also don't have a good layout
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Oxford United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I walked in off the street as the hotel i'd booked was a building site. I was quoted $60 a night for a room which i thought a bit much so i offered $30 (£20) and they accepted. The Hotel is run down and needs money spending on it, but saying that i enjoyed the place sitting on the terrace over looking the Ocean drinking ice cold beer. The Staff were great my beer was replenished as soon as my bottle was empty, the food in the restuarant was more than ok. A place i'd definetly go back to but for $30 a night not $60

Room Tip: Try getting a room over looking the pool a lot quieter than the road side
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cheshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

OK so I'd read the reviews and was dreading my 2 night stay at this hotel. I didn't book it myself but it seemed to be the only hotel in hikkaduwa willing to take a short booking over New Year. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised and it's not at all as bad as it's made out to be. It's an old style hotel typical of the 60s or 70s with long gloomy corridors and shabby furniture and paintwork. But we had a big room, the bed was comfortable with fresh white sheets, 4 comfortable pillows, a fridge, good a/c and fan which stayed on when you left the room. The bathroom was better than many other bathrooms in Sri lankan hotels, with hot water, decent shower, proper flushing toilet (not always the case in Sri Lanka). The balcony was not the best, with a "partial sea view" but mainly overlooking a roof space, but we didn't spend any time there. Unlike other reviews we didn't find it noisy at all. We had the gala dinner on NY eve which was really nice with a huge variety of food. The staff really went out of their way to create a lovely atmosphere for NY and there were fireworks and a live band. We found the food at breakfast to be of a good standard, again plenty of choice, nothing to complain about. Wifi was also good in the lobby. The staff were friendly and polite at all times. All in all this was better than I expected.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We booked 3 nights here and stayed only one. It's like sleeping in the middle of a motorway it's so noisy.
The room we had was nothing like any of the pictures we had seen and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. The not so friendly cockroaches on our bed head were a bit disturbing.
Saying that the staff were very friendly and helpful but not enough to convince us to stay another night!!

• Stayed December 2012
Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Was part of a large team (about 30 people) from my office, on a outing over the weekend...........Bang in the middle of Galle road and quite a good locale with the beach water kissing the hotels' compound wall occasionally, the hotel could have qualified for a good holiday destination but ALAS, turned out to be a damp squib............

Managed to get a sea facing room in the second floor with quite a lovely view from the balcony.......Perhaps that’s the only positive point at the hotel.......The check in was quite ok considering my trip organizers had all the hard work in coordinating with the hotel on room allocations et al.....The room was a huge disappointment considering the rates that are being charged. The alignment of room 212 was quite bad by itself wherein it was a perfect square but pentagon and hexagon mixed up badly.......so the moving areas within the room was very less beds and table, chairs and TV Table cramping up the space the moment u enter the room.....The so called wardrobe was a mess with just one door opening and other one stuck badly and my wife had a tough time even trying to open it and dropped the idea since it wasn’t worth the effort.....The less described about the toilets the better....A stink prevails there and it being dirty around almost all the corners.....Leaves a bad taste to the whole experience....

To describe the lobby and other areas, they are a huge disappointment. one row of seats near the main reception is what is the version of hotels' lobby......next is the elevated podium (fairly large in size) but the big pain is the Bar, Indoor Games area and dancing floor all rolled up into one as part of this podium.......though this area is air conditioned, Didn’t see them functioning on both the days that we were there and the most irritating part being when there was a DJ and Dance on the makeshift dance floor they provided a pedestal fan for people to freshen up after a jig......well well this hotel is still in the 80s as far as this goes.....

Finally to the most important aspect, the food.....Honestly it left a lot to be desired be it breakfast or lunch….not many options be it Veg or Non Veg and even the food available was just ok in quality…….Being a vegetarian very little option other than steamed rice, dhal, baked potato (sounds good……oh no just a big block of potato half-baked or some burnt totally………) …….even my non veggie friends seconded my opinion on the quality of food……

Honestly they really need to give some serious thought about their business if they need to get some customers walking because we were one of the few who were in the hotel and possibly the only ones who stayed there overnight……Not worth………………..Consider the better options in Hikkaduwa...........Dont go by the hotels pictures on the web.....They are misleading.......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

It's remarkably terrible.
It's dirty, the air conditioning is not working. It's overpriced.

And if you need the Internet, make sure you actually LOG ON and connect before making any bookings - they have many excuses for the Internet to be down, but I guess the only reason I see was that the bills wasn't paid.

I had to leave after one night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ljubljana, Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am a traveler and I have traveled alll around the world, but this hotel is really Terrible. The room very very dirty, the service is disaster. Dont believe the pictures on web site, as they are totally fake.
Once housekeeping lock me on the ballcony and took them more then 30 minutes to come on open the door. I was screaming on the balcony, but still to slow.
Dont stay in this hotel, for this price or even less, you can find amazing accomodation in one of the beach houses on the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hikkaduwa Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!