“Charming hotel close to the ocean” 5 of 5 stars

Suite Lanka
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Galle Road Thiranagama, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Hikkaduwa
Muenster, Germany
“Charming hotel close to the ocean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel because it is a little bit different from all the other hotels in Hikkaduwa. With its well-furnished rooms, the lovely garden with palms and a sala overlooking the wide ocean while you have a tasty breakfast, you can enjoy the sound of the waves without having any other noises around you. The Suite Lanka is situated a little bit outside of the city center, but only a 10-minute walk along the beach to the shops and restaurants. But just as well, you can have a delicious dinner inside the hotel. The cook and the staff in gerneral take great care of yourself. The manager told me that there have been a big refurbishment in the Superoir and the Deluxe Rooms. And obviously the bar and the restaurant were renewed as well.
If your are looking for a quite, modern and individual place to stay, go here!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I think it's important to note the price paid at this property when reviewing it. We stayed here based on a friend's recommendation who loved it. We were extremely disappointed with the property overall. Upon return we discovered that they had paid $77 per night whereas we paid in excess of $220 per night.

At $77 this property is just about acceptable. It is really not worth anything more than that.

The pool at this property is completely useless - located behind the hotel between the hotel block and the kitchens with no view whatsoever and stagnant air. Who needs a pool when the ocean is that beautiful? Yes, I agree - however you are paying a premium for a property with a pool.

The rooms do not have TV, phones, or any of the amenities one would expect for such a high price. The rooms are very spacious - but necessarily so - they are not nice at all and you really wouldn't want to spend any time in them with their dated furniture and dark interiors.

The location is about a 10+ minute walk down the beach to any of the popular bars and restaurants. This does not offer you much more privacy than the rest of the beach - we would have preferred to be closer to the restaurants. There are no loud nightclubs and such on this strip where staying away would be a benefit.

The only explanation to the mixed reviews one finds on here is the price paid. If we had paid $77 we might have found this place just acceptable (not more). However at $200+ I would look elsewhere.

We spent 2 nights in Aditiya at more than double the rate (>$400 per night) and felt that was worth every penny - I have reviewed that property too.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the superior rooms - there is nothing superior about them other than the price...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Suite Lanka, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the effort to write a comment about your stay at our Suite Lanka.

I am sorry to hear, that you obviously didn´t enjoy your stay with us.
Regarding the rates you have mentioned, I am absolutely surprised. As you obviously stayed at the same category as your friend did, it was most probably a Superior room. The rate last year was indeed around USD 77 (plus tax & service charges). At the moment we are charging for that room EUR 86 (inclusive of tax & service charge and breakfast for two). In Peak Season (christmas and new year) we are charging EUR 108,-. This is the absolute maximum we have always charged for that room. This can be verified by having a look in our pricelist (please refer to www.suitelanka.com.).
There are higher room categories however, for example the Two-Bedroom Suite at a size of 112 sqm, which we charge EUR 196 at the moment, inclusive of tax, service charge and breakfast.
But I assume that you didn´t compare the rate of the entrance category with the rate of the biggest available suite.

However I am happy to inform you, that we have just recently completed a huge renovation of many parts of the hotel. Among them are the Superior and Deluxe rooms and their bathrooms, the restaurant, bar and poolside as well as all public areas, such as pathways, public bathrooms etc. You may get a very good impression by having a look at our new virtual tour, which you can find on our website.

I hope, you will give us the chance again to prove to you that your next stay with us will be worth every single cent you are paying. If you are considering coming, please let me know in advance and I will personally make sure that you will have a great time.

Roland Galka
Owner
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Compared to some of the places we stayed in Sri Lanka, this was 5 star!! It is a beautiful building and I loved the traditional furnishings. I knew it wasn't going to be a modern 4 star lodging, this is a small beach resort in Sri Lanka. It backed on to a vast stretch of beach and this was on the quiet stretch. Had the place to ourselves. It is true that the sea is dangerous here. The waves are huge and the current too strong to paddle in.

Food choice was limited and getting wifi was a mammoth challenge daily. I would advise picking time of year wisely as we went in rainy season and 2 of our 5 nights we were bedroom bound becasue the rain was torrential and impossible to go out in. We had to order room service which of course was limited.

Staff were very friendly and there is a small pool in the courtyard to enjoy in the heat.

Hikkaduwa is a strange place and perhaps best for young crowds, not romantic couples holidays.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on two different years and have always found the staff to be gentle, friendly and extremely helpful. The manager Sarat is particularly helpful. I have stayed many times on my own there as a lone womna, and have always been treated with warmth and respect. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the whole place has a cheerful, efficient feel to it. I have no hesitation in recommending it to other travellers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
karachi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Terrible place. Visit as 2 couples in 2011. Its filthy. Its small. Its creepy, dark and dingy.The rooms are big, but furnishings from the 60's. The bathrooms need an overhaul. The shower had a trickle, and no hot water. The towels were the crappiest towels we had ever used, the water didn't try! It was ridiculous. Its locked up at night and there's one inept old man guard who can't speak english. There's no phone in the rooms. Only a bell, which we rung 10 times before the guard came. Our A/C leaked and flooded the room..it was hot and humid, plus there was a river in the room. We called our travel agency and said we wanted out of there. The owner, who was an extremely rude man sitting in Europe refused to believe us and refund our money. At that point we didn't care, we just wanted to get out. There were only two people present the next morning, they apologized but laughed at our awful sleepless night - we paid for the one night and got out of there asap. Our travel agency negotiated with them and got the money refunded but not before the greedy little man took some for himself. Spend some of it on your hotel and maybe people wouldn't have such an awful time. I can't believe the reviews on this hotel it should be listed as the worst hotel in the world. @ $80 a night to be paid in advance, its total crap. Don't do it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
, Manager at Suite Lanka, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear guests,

I am so sorry to realize that you are obviously still very frustrated about your brief stay, that you have to write such a comment one year (!!!) after your stay.
I perfectly recall the situation that your travel agent called me a couple of times after your arrival, informing that you weren´t happy at all.
As in general june is the month when the monsoon reaches its peak, it´s indeed more humid than during the rest of the year.
Unfortunately this evening one airconditioning system broke down. The manager arranged some technical help and the next morning the system had been repaired.
Again I am terribly sorry for that. However having the privilege of being at this stunning location, we are facing major problems with all technical equipment, caused by the seabreeze, specially during monsoon season. We are trying our outmost to prevent impact to our guests well being and I am sorry, if we have failed in your case.

As during your brief stay I have always talked to your travel agent by phone and never to you.
I am therefore surprised that you call me a rude man without even knowing me.
As well I like to clarify that the confirmation for the refund to you has been made already while talking to your travel agent. I will recheck with them who is the "greedy little man" you are mentioning in your comment.

Finally I would like to inform you that we have closed down the hotel in may and june 2012 for a huge renovation. Please see the result at www.suitelanka.com/tour
If you wish to make your own personal experience, please let me know when you are intending to visit again and I will make sure that you will have a great stay.

Roland Galka
Owner
Headley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

There is no doubt the position of this small hotel is excellent, the staff were very pleasant, but the rooms were dated but had lovely views. Food was good but not excellent, broadband reliability was poor.

Although the beach is only 50 meters from your door the ocean is too dangerous with under currents and rip tides to swim in, a point the brochure do not mention

We sadly had a poor experience. We somebody walking off the beach and trying to get into our room at 4.15am one morning. It was all a bit scary but highlighted by the fact the would be villain must have walked straight past the "all night security" who are supposed to prevent this.

The manager did not take the situation seriously, although he promised the windows would be screwed shut for the next evening, this did not happen. I eventually at 10pm at night had to find some wire and do the best I could and wire the windows shut.

Nice place, nice staff, superb position, very poor management

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 week trip around Sri Lanka and spent 5 fantastic nights at Suite Lanka.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the cheapest room on the first floor of the hotel. We had a large balcony with an amazing sea view. The rooms were kept immaculately clean and the mini bar was topped up everyday. We really thought this hotel was fantastic value for money. It is a little piece of luxury in Hikkadewa. The staff really made our stay - they are all so polite and friendly, and were always checking that we were having a lovely time.

The food was absolutely delicious and we really liked the Chef who would chat and reccomend any catch of the day etc ... I would strongly reccomend the sea food pasta, sri lankan curry and chicken kebab! I would say you have to be patient though or order your food earlier and they will have it ready for a certain time. We tried other restraunts but this was by far the nicest meals we ate in hikkadewa.

I strongly disagree with the last 2 reviews on here. The beach towels were lovely and clean and came with a fresh orchid every day! The pool was cleaned daily and there was always extra towels. Yes the secruity did remind us to lock our rooms at night but I think this was just them genuinely caring for their guests.

We found out that the hotel was shutting for a month to update all the bathrooms in April. If you are looking for a little piece of luxury within 10 mins walk of a bit of nightlife and shops stay here! We paid around £90 for B and B.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Suite Lanka? Share your experiences!