“Romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amaya Lake

You added Amaya Lake to your Saves list
Amaya Lake
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 12 Kandalama Dambulla | Cultural Triangle, Dambulla 21100, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Dambulla
Gaia
“Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I never stayed in such romantic hotel.
quite peacuful...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Hotel picked for us by a tour company- great choice! Arrived 6.30 in morning in room by 7.30-pretty good. Staff very polite. Good choice of food. In a Club Lodge- not so easy to find in dark but lovely room!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I foud the hotel staff were very pleasent, the rooms were very comfortable, the food was very good withe the buffet selection good. Very relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I am in two minds about whether I should criticize the stay because my overall experience was excellent. My only grudge is on a few counts which I must highlight for this review might help the resort in plugging such leaks.

My travel advisor had booked me into another hotel near Amaya Lake called 'Nice Place', which I outright rejected on seeing their rooms as it did not fit my taste. I was travelling with my wife and infant daughter and there was a basic level of comfort I was looking for. I had seen sign boards of Amaya Lake on the way there and so I instructed the driver to head straight to Amaya Lake. It was raining heavy and it was dark and it is my advice that one should not be driving in those parts after sunset. The roads were narrow and one slip would land you in a ditch a few meters deep on either side. I am however referring to the route from 'Nice Place' to 'Amaya Lake'. The route to Amaya Lake from Dambula town is quite good. I am presenting this detail to highlight the circumstances under which I landed at Amaya Lake.

I walked up to the reception at Amaya Lake and asked for a room. They offered me a net rate of 148 USD per night. They call it the half boarder rate and the cost included breakfast and dinner. . The check in procedure was quick and I was to stay two nights. They charged my card upfront and so I chose to pay one day at a time. (My travel advisor managed to get me the second day stay at a discounted rate through an agent at 120USD). The room we were initially allotted was pathetic. The air-conditioner did not work and the wooden panel on the bathroom door was peeling off. I informed the reception and they offered to move me into another room which the bellboy told me while shifting was in a batch of newly built rooms. My initial thought was why they had to inconvenience me by making me pack all over again whence they could have allotted the same at check in. My travel advisor later told me the next day that the hotel was being generous and the room they had re-allotted was actually a 178USD/night room.

This new room was utterly wonderful. The hotel even provided us with a baby cot. We were very tired from the travel and the adventure of having travelled in the night on roads that felt very unsafe so it was a welcome relief when we were told that the hotel could serve dinner in the room with a choice from the buffet. Everything was great except with the plumbing in the bathroom. The pleasure of a shower was denied since the shower head was clogged and leaking and the health faucet by the water closet was also clogged.

On a good note, this resort is situated on a lake shore, has some breath taking scenery and there is a lot of space to walk around and explore within the resort. The service was great and the staff courteous. The spread at dinner and breakfast really is amazing and we experienced this over our two days stay. The restaurant too, which we visited on day two was wonderful with live food counters and a lovely layout. The swimming pool though I did not use it looked great. On the whole, our stay was great and this would now help you understand the title.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

The approach road to the Amaya lake is not very great however, once you reach it, its all worth the bumpy ride. A green canopy of trees leads up to the lobby. The Lobby is huge with large paintings of Sri Lankan art and culture. There's a swimming pool in a level lower to the lobby. Multicoloured cane furniture with cushions lines the sides of the hallway. We were greeted with welcome drinks and then escorted to our room.

Each room is named after a different species of tree or animal. Our room was named after White-browed Fantail Flycatcher. Really nice room with a big bathroom and loads of space. However, the bathtub was a little stained - thankfully there was a separate shower stand.

Food is good - the buffet had a good spread, with musicians entertaining diners with local songs. The breakfast, though good, had flies / bees hovering over some foodstuff (like jams / jellies / cut fruits) which were uncovered, since the buffet area opens out into huge green lawn, leading up to the lake.

So, except the little discomfort on the cleanliness / hygiene front, the stay, staff and service was up to the mark.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Stayed for two nights as part of a wonderful tour . holiday booked with Holiday Place.com. The local tour organiser was Panlanka who did a first rate job, and our personal guide and driver was Neil da Silva who made the experience very enjoyable. The Amaya Lake Hotel is excellent, the rooms are really nice and well maintained. The location is beautiful. The food was very good, and service of a high standard. I am astonished by some of the comments posted.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

This hotel should really be avoided at all costs by the independent traveller! Place is full of package holiday groups.

Our room was dirty, shower was mouldy, and it stank of cigarettes. Housekeeping was not done before 5pm in the evening forcing us out if we wanted things cleaned, staff were either rude or completely disinterested.

All of these things pale into insignificance when we think of the food - a buffet (or really a trough), none was edible. We ordered ala carte, waited about an hour for a club sandwich which when we did get it, was basically inedible. We even gave up on coffee at breakfast after a day (grey slop). 'Chef' cooking bbq dropping and reusing utensils on food. Nobody cares!

Stay at Kandalama or dont go to Sigirya.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Amaya Lake? Share your experiences!