“Amazing! Can't wait to return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arika Boutique Villa

You added Arika Boutique Villa to your Saves list
Arika Boutique Villa
Puwakattawala Road, 40th mile post | off Matale Road, Dambulla 21100, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #5 of 49 Dambulla B&B and Inns
“Amazing! Can't wait to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed at arika with a group of 18 students and 4 teachers for 8 days. Everything about this place was amazing. The staff were truly wonderful with our students. The food was fanatic (the best we have had In Sri Lanka). The chef never repeated a meal the whole time we were there! The rooms were spacious and well kept. The bathroom in the ground floors are neat.

The only problem we had is that the floor around the pool is polished concrete so it was very slippery after the kids swam...I am surprised someone hasn't fallen and broken something.

I can't wait to return to this little gem!

Stayed December 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ningbo, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful hotel and I felt it offered good value for money. The staff were all extremely wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I only ate breakfast, but it was always delicious. If you order it the night before it comes quickly. This is a small operation, so you need to give it a little bit of slack. It has an intimate personal feel about it, which I much prefer to bigger anonymous hotels. If the food is a little slow, it is because it is home made right then!

Wifi is a bit unpredictable and I could only get it in the reception area, but it is a nice and comfortable place to sit and listen to the wildlife, so. I did not find this a big inconvenience. You can easily buy beer in Dambulla town and the hotel is happy for you to drink your own alcohol, if you bring it. The power kept failing, but again I took this all in the spirit of being in such a secluded spot. It always came on again within 15 minutes. The rooms are large and very beautifully designed with a focus on natural materials. Very stylish. All in all, this is a wonderful place. I would definitely come back and wish the hotel manager every success.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

When booking, I tried to search for some comments about Arika Villa, but could not find almost anything. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised to find a nice and modern-looking small hotel in a quiet location. We learnt that it was opened just 6 months ago. Villa has a great ambience and the staff is helpful and friendly. They told us they didn't have a room for drivers there, but the receptionist helped us out and accomodated our driver during our stay.
Our room (#102) was really spacious with an exit to the backyard. The bathroom was big too and its open roof gave me the impression of taking a shower outside (a very interesting design solution). There were also a swimming-pool, garden and a bbq to use. There was no problem to get a socket adaptor from the reception. The hotel offers Continental, English or Sri Lankan breakfast and the menu for dinner is well thought-out.
We stayed in Arika Villa for 2 nights and we truly enjoyed the quietness, relaxing environment and being surrounded by nature. In the morning you could hear birds singing which was lovely!
A couple of things to improve: the wifi was only accessible from the reception and there was no signal in the room. The frigde was so loud we had to switch it off at night. There were too many switches in the room and to find the correct one for the lamp you needed patience trying all of them in a row until finding the right one :)
Despite these small drawbacks, it is a highly recomendable place to stay with children, friends or for couples at an affordable price.

Room Tip: to avoid waiting I would suggest to order your dinner menu in advance during the day.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights recently.

The villa is a great idea and location is lovely however I think some things have been overlooked.

Our room on the ground floor had an open roof over the shower which is nice until it rains!! It was unbelievably loud one evening.

there are fridges in the room with nothing in them but they are incredibly loud. I switched ours off.

Also there are only comfy seats in the very small reception area, could do with some in the rooms perhaps which are easily big enough.

Another thing to note is that they don't sell alcohol at all and apparently you can't buy lion lager anywhere in the area. Not that it's a big deal but its nice to have a beer when it's so hot and there's nothing else to do at night - the tv in our room didn't always work either!

However, the staff are attentive and will usually do what they can for you. Good location for the tourist sights also.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor in rainy season
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
California City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I want to give this place an excellent review but two things stop me from doing so - firstly, our room had a cockroach each night I was there, and secondly, the first night we waited more than an hour for the food, although the two breakfasts and other dinner we had here came quickly.

On the plus side - we had a huge and rather nice bathroom in our ground floor bedroom with a skylight that extended beyond the first floor. (I suppose our location on the ground floor was the reason for cockroaches and other insects, and thus we didn't make a fuss about the cockroaches.)

The location was also off the beaten track, so it is extremely tranquil and great for a relaxing stay.

The staff we interacted with also tried to be very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2013
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My two daughters (23ys & 2yrs), housemaid, my wife and myself checked in to Arika Boutique Villa, Dambulla, Srilanka on 11th October 2013 for 02nights but loved our experience that we cancelled our visit to Nuwara Eliya and stayed an extra night at Arika.

Arika Boutique Villa is an hideout, hidden in greenery, in a village. Staying at Arika will give you a quite, serene, peaceful and relaxing stay at an affordable price. A river stream passes one side of Arika and water from four rivers flow here.

The Architecture, colours both exterior and interior are amazing. The rooms that we stayed in and the bathrooms were excellent . The bathroom was the best . I have never stayed anywhere where the bathroom is so big and gives you a view of the trees and the sky. Staying on the ground floor, we had the swimming pool in front of our main door and the garden at the back door.

From the time we entered we were pampered by the staff; each of them very professional and would cater to our every need and were very friendly. They made the atmosphere so homely that I sometimes felt that I was staying in my own villa. I knew each of them by their names.

The food was excellent. The Chef who has international experience cooked anything that we asked him. He was excellent. Most of the other staff too have worked outside Srilanka in various hotels.

In a few months fruits and vegetables will be available from Arika’s own organic farm.

I highly recommend Arika Boutique Villa for families, honeymooners, and anyone who is looking for peace and quietness.

Freddy D'Cruz
Dubai.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked for two nights here but ending up staying for four! I was lucky to be one of their first guests and was warmly welcomed. The hotel is in a quiet location and surrounded by nature and wildlife which makes for a very relaxing and peaceful stay. The pool is lovely for a proper swim and right in the middle of the hotel so it's nice to get pop out of the room.The staff are wonderful: very professional and cater for your every need along with being geninuely friendly. The food was great and the chef has worked abroad so can cook you both Sri Lankan and European dishes - I was very impressed by all of it.
I would recommend this hotel for couples and families. I would also recommend it for people, like me, who are on their own and want some peace and quiet for a few days.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Arika Boutique Villa? Share your experiences!