I can see what this hotel wishes to achieve however they just don't quite manage it. Being charged a premium price for a fairly average experience is always disappointing. We had a lovely greeting and check in - then the girl that showed us to our room was obviously about to go off duty and was surly. I requested a high room however was told "we were lucky to get the 3rd floor and close to elevator". The bar was terrible - no ambiance and more like a café in the middle of a corridor...Our room was trendy but dated and two beds pushed together (which I realty dislike)..pillows were rock hard....amenities were errrrr...residual?
Dinner was OK in the main restaurant however the service was average and the wine was luke warm. No ambiance. My meal was average however my husband had the curry and it was world class. Breakfast was excellent.
The hotel is architecturally superb. View is magnificent. Pool is wonderful....yet the hotel itself lacks soul and character. We went to take a picture from the mini temple on the front lawn and it was made of plastic...
Sorry - cannot recommend this hotel.....Sri Lanka's govt has put a 24% service charge/tax on everything and they are being very shortsighted in my opinion....its an emerging market in terms of tourism and they are trying to run before they walk. Stay somewhere cheap and cheerful and get a better experience with the locals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla