If you want a trip to a natural wonderland but still stay in the lap of luxury, this is the place to stay. Before traveling to Sri Lanka I had been told how this hotel has a "Green" philosophy, energy conservation, renewable energy, programs supporting local flora and fauna. I was a bit skeptical at how a hotel could maintain all of these aspects but still be 5 stars but hopeful that people were making an effort to preserve the beauty and natural bounty of Sri Lanka. I was more than pleasantly surprised when we arrived there. The first thing you will notice about this hotel is how it seems to blend with the rainforest, it doesn't cut a swath but seems to grow out of the hillside. The stunning views, abundant flora and fauna stop you in your tracks at every turn. The architecture of the hotel is very unique, it honors Sri Lankan myths and stories, carved snakes, owls and metal work abound. The food is excellent, service fast and friendly. The views of the lake from the eating area is down right meditative in nature. Do expect to be ether walking or taking drives to other local areas, this is a rural rainforest habitat and good portion of the roads are packed dirt. Be aware that wildlife is everywhere on the grounds and a few brave creatures might come near your balcony, such as birds, monkeys,skinks and geckos.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla