“Not what the guidebook says it is...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Little Dream Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dambulla
Little Dream Guest House
You added Little Dream Guest House to your Saves list
Vihata Janapada Road | Kandalama Lake, Dambulla, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #26 of 39 Dambulla B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not what the guidebook says it is...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed there for 1 night, following a good review in a guidebook. The room was a good size, a little on the expensive side even after bartering him down from 3500 for an AC double room. The money we 'saved' was soon lost because we were handed a whoping food bill that was almost equivilant to the price of the room. This included a 10% service charge which we hadn't seen on other bills before. This left a very bad taste in our mouths because it felt like they were out to get as much as they could. If you do stay here make sure you agree to the rates upfront and don't be afraid to barter if you think it's not right. However I do not recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Diksmuide, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We've stayed here about 3 nights! It was a very nice place to stay! Near a beautifull lake. you could take a bus close to the guesthouse to go to the centre of Dambulla!
We had a very big room with airco, nice bathroom. Also there was a patio where we could sit and relax!!

Room Tip: rooms without airco were not that good (we heard from other travelers)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is not safe for female travellers (on their own or in small groups as I have since met 2 girls who were together and one of them also had a tough time here.)

Arrived at night. Quickly the man tried to get me to go to the lake with him or go down a random bush track with him, then he began trying to touch me. I locked myself in my room as i could not leave safely due to location and time and he hung around outside my room for quite sometime. It was extremely creepy. Luckily there happened to be another couple staying there (which I was unaware of till morning, I'm guessing the reviewer pam of Utah) or things may have gone worse.

In the morning unfortunately the wife heard me relay concerns to the other couple and when we left the communal area (my room was attached to this) the wife yelled at the man about it, he hit her very badly, she was in tears and the whole family then came out and kicked me out, sending me to the bus stop and telling me I had to leave dambulla now. (I didn't I got another auto after I was dropped off and checked in somewhere else, they advised me that little dream was famous for such behaviour within the community)

Do not go here unless you are a male or accompanied by one.

Unsafe.
Creepy.
Potentially dangerous!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Hi, i went here in feb 2013. i have to say i did not have a pleasant experience the man who owns it made me feel very uncomfortable with his constant inappropriate touching, staring and requests for me to go to places with him alone at night.solo female travelers should not go here, even groups of young girls. i believe it is unsafe. the accommodation itself was lovely, there were hammocks to chill in (which was hard to with the creepy guy hovering around) the lake it is next to is breath taking, we went swimming there and crossed it too the island. the place is happy to arrange transport and help with activities they helped us rent bikes. the food is very good and you get allot, Just formally agree on a price first. i would not go back here again as i never felt safe, but the place itself is lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Logan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The river and lake are great to swim in and the nature and birding are great. It's quiet and comfortable. However, prices for food are high and no other restaurants are nearby so you are captive. We stayed in one of the new rooms and while it was clean and the bed comfortable, there was no other furniture and no screens on windows or curtains! We thought this seriously weird. When we left we were shocked to see a 10% service charge on the room (something we never saw in the other 10 hotels we stayed in on our journey). Also, 10% charge on food (we were charged that but rarely), making us feel the owners want to get as much out of you as possible. We advise you make all expenses agreed on up front. One other comment; we do not recommend single women go here. A guest came late one evening and left early the next morning she claimed to us because of "inappropriate touching."

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had such a great time at this out-of-the-way gem.
There are now two sets of rooms - the newer ones are huge and gleaming with fan, mosquito wire on windows, pretty impressive.
They're also twice the price of the older rooms, but these are only like 10 bucks or something.
Sure, the older rooms are a bit darker and sparse, but what do you expect for 10 dollars?
There are provided mosquito nets so if you get bitten by bugs you're not very smart.
Across the road is an enormous lake to swim in and hang out with the locals as they wash their cars and bikes in the torrent whilst somehow not being swept away.
Wait long enough and you'll see larger vehicles (ie - buses) cross the ford as they can't fit across the bridge. Hilarious.
We ate there twice in a sweet family setting with other guests and the food was awesome - homecooked Sri Lankan goodness.
Maybe a bit of a haul from town if you're in a tuk-tuk, but if you have a car or bike then it's real easy, just look for the sign near the end of the bridge.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Nijmegen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Dark, damp rooms. Dirty bed linen. The plumbing in the bathroom didn't work. Windows that cannot close so mosquitos have free play. And on top of in all both my partner and I got sick after having diner there.
The location is great, and the owner very nice, but the place needs a lot of work done before it could be anyone's dream.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Little Dream Guest House? Share your experiences!