“Wonderful Expensive Fafa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fafa Island
Aus
“Wonderful Expensive Fafa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Fa fa island is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay. We spent two nights in a beautiful beach front fale. The massage by Sim is a must do. The restaurant is overpriced but overall its a great place. If you are in Tonga do spend some time on the other islands though because as beatiful as Fafa island is, it is not a complete Tongan experience. A day tour is a great way to get an idea of what else there is to see on the island Tongatapu.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
briang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Fafa island was an amazing relaxing time away. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants some time away. We stayed 4 nights @ a surf resort on the main island then went to Fafa. The facilities seemed fantastic, however this may have been due to being substantially more upmarket than our previous lodgings.

All in all the staff were fantastic, amazing place if you wish to go relax. If you want a holiday with alot of activites I would not recommened Tonga as a whole but as a place to relax if was FANTASTIC!

• Liked — Rooms & Service (pretty much everything)
  • Disliked — Power aka fans turned off around 10pm (So hot!)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

I am baffled why some reviewers would take children to an isalnd resort that does not 'encourage' children. There is a reason for this, being a parent myself, children can also annoy other guests. I found my 3 nights 4 days on Fafa island the most relaxing time of my life, I became so relaxed i couldn't even be bothered holding up my book. We did not buy either meal plan, we took some food that can be eaten cold and ordered from the menu, we came in well under budget and paid alot less than had we taken a meal plan. I suggest one would only get the best of the meal plan if they at 2 courses for lunch and 3 courses for dinner everyday, and this is not something my wife and I do. throw into the mix the very small menu then there is a good chance you won't even want or like what the entree or dessert is. Just remeber your booze goes on top, that can be very expensive, particularly the cocktails and average wine and expensive prices per bottle.

I found the staff very friendly and discreet, they contributed enormously to the relaxing stay. I would reccomend you take some of your favorite instant coffee or teas as a hot flask of water is dropped off to your outside table at 6.30am every monring for you to make coffee or tea from box provided in the fale. While it may not be your idea to get up at this hour it is very relaxing sitting on the deck of you private fale while the sun comes up drinking coffee but the coffee provided in the fale is poor and not up with the prices you pay for staying, so take your own. Afterwards you can go straight back to bed or onto breakfast at 8.00am. Everynight one of the staff will deliver a gas lantern and get your very substantial mosquito net over the bed ready.

As some of the other reviewers have said, you often feel like you are the only people there, often only seeing people from a distance or at the restaurant.

One night the staff put on a traditional Tongan floorshow accompanied with a smorgasboard bbq. This also proved a good choice not to be part of the meal plan. The floor show was lame and sadly a slight on the staff, they looked bored and exploited and apart from that we did not find traditional Tongan dance particularly riveting, although we accept some people may(particularly from the northern hemisphere)

All in all, we loved it and would be very disapppointed if we never went back, if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday with no one around in quality traditonal island fales then this is the place.

• Liked — the complete realxation atmosphere
  • Disliked — cost maybe a bit too much
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

My first trip to Tonga was April 2006. I stayed 4 days in Nuku'alofa and 7 days on Fafa Island.

Fafa Island was absolutley gorgeous. The island, the architecture, the staff the memories!

After my 4 day stay in town I got on the yacht for my transfer to the island and 30 minutes later I was on a 7 acre piece of heaven. I was greeted by one of the owners and walked through the island to my fale (house) which was called Niu (coconut). The building was traditional and beatifully built with lots of detail. It was very clean and had views of the water yet surrounded by tropical plants, coconut palms for privacy.

There was a hammock and sun lounges outside. Each fale has an open air shower which was great and the bed was huge with the most perfect mosquito net over the top.

The website was a true account of what you get at Fafa and I did not feel let down in anyway.

Staff members were the friendliest people and were only to happy to assist me with anything I needed. The meals were the nicest I have had in Tonga and in true Tongan style, very filling!Compliments and respect to the chefs!

I would highly recommend Fafa Island to anyone who needs a break from big cities, honeymooners, families and friends

Relax swim snorkel eat spend time with yourself or others read a book watch a sunset take an Island tour take a paddle on a kayak. Take advantage of the boat ride into town and back (just cause its free-besides... is this something you do everyday?)

If you are thinking of going or you are going to Tonga book a few days at Fafa!

• Liked — Traditional accomodation beaches and staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

Fafa is a lovely place for about three days, unless you just want to laze and read, then its good for longer. We are an active couple so we would get a bit bored longer stay. It is really a wonderful place with wonderful staff. The only negative is the food which is very average, yet still at top Tongan prices. As there is nowhere else to eat, you have to bear it. The meals for two days without wine (wine list is appalling) was higher than the accomodation, and the meals really were simple but ok. It doesnt have to be like this in Tonga, there are other upmarket resorts with excellent cuisine and wines. However, would highly recommend a Fafa experience if you stay in south of Tonga, you will meet lovely cotravellers and you will totally relax. Dont recommend the massage, as its more of a therapy session than a resort relaxation massage.The staff did a concert whilst we were there and it was fabulous with lovely local flavour, and the guys around the kava bowl were really cool. Stunning snorkelling right at the front of our fale, and we have snorkelled the worlds best which this surpasses. Fafa island is also kept very very clean which is lovely. highly recommended for a short stay, or a longer stay for readers and writers. Highlights for us were also arriving at 0300 in darkness with torches, and departing under sail for airport transfer; like WOW!

• Liked — the relaxed atmosphere, we didnt wear shoes ever
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

This was a gorgeous place to stay. Me and my sister went and stayed there for one night (as it was fully booked out every other night). When we turned up every thing was fantastic about the place. We were given a free cocktail on arrival and our bags were brought around to us.

Our fale was in a great position as we were not able to see anyone else. It felt like a private island.

One query was about the sheets being too short to fit the big bed. Not sure if this was because of the netting or what that was about. Although we never got much sleep as we got a bit paranoid about the geckos that were in the room. hehe. I suggest if you are scared of geckos or those kinda creatures - this would not be the best place to stay.

Overall, a great experience. I would definitely go back there again if I was ever in Tonga.

• Stayed July 2007
One Tree Hill, South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

What can I say?
It was by pure luck googling the Internet that I discovered this island paradise. We have been recommending it to everyone we know and if there is anyway possible we will return!

FAFA Island - our experience
Although we arrived very late (courtesy of Virgin Airlines) we were found at the airport quite easily by the allocated driver and transported by mini bus to the awaiting sailboat for a trip across to FAFA.

Don't be put off by the standard of the mini bus. It is independently owned and by no means a reflection of the Island and the FAFA staff.

Once on the boat we travelled about 30 minutes out to sea, it was total blackness and although none of us had any idea where we were going, we now know, we were in very good hands. :-)

We were greeted by several staff with torches and lanterns and welcomed to the island. From here we were escorted to our fale with the finer details of operation explained to us. Things like, where the lights were, what time breakfast was etc.

Several of the guest who arrived at the same time, were a little disappointed that we were not able to have access to any food (not even a piece of fruit) on arrival (myself included) - my advice - make sure you eat on the plane if you are arriving on the Virgin Pacific flight from Sydney Australia that gets in after 9.30pm.

The room was beautiful in its simplicity, with a huge bed surrounded in a very effective mosquito net. A small table, cane chairs and day bed. There was a doorway to a "change room" and other to the bathroom. YES just like the photos shown on the web site.

At the time we really did not take it all in, we simply wanted to crawl into bed and rest. It’s a long day between time zones.

The next morning when we woke around 11.00am we were greeted with the most amazing surroundings and we really did believe we were on a deserted island. No TV, No radio and No mobile telephone service but birds chirping, blue sky’s and coconut trees a plenty.

Showering in the open-air bathroom was initially a little "risqué" but with such beautiful surroundings, flowering hibiscus and breathtaking bougainvillea it all soon felt exhilarating.

It didn't matter that we had missed breakfast and were starving from the night before. We simply took our time and wandered down to check out the beach and our own little private surroundings.

From here we made our way over to the restaurant and were greeted by smiling faces and given our choice of tables overlooking the most incredible beech and blue lagoon and shown the lunchtime menu. - Each day there was something new to try and all of excellent quality.

We decided to venture back across to the main island of Tonga to undertake a tour of the blowholes, royal tombs and the other mysteries that were on offer. We thought there is no way you could travel to Tonga and not see all it had to offer. We visited the markets and bought a few gifts for the family, necklaces, sarongs and some sandals. We were very hesitant to purchase much in fear of it being taken on our return to Australia. There was a lot of lovely woven placemats and handbags although we did not purchase any we watched them be passed through customs with ease. So as long as you select carefully and declare you should be able to bring most things back to Australia. Anyway back to our tour of the main island. It was worth seeing and the blowholes were fantastic. Sadly it was the same tour operator who picked us up from the airport and although the driver was lovely and very helpful we were disappointed with what was offered, we were expecting a full day tour and instead we were rushed at most locations and were dropped off at the wharf 2 hours early which was a boring wait and an unpleasant way to end our tour of Tonga.

Upon our return, the FAFA owners enquired about our tour and were very concerned when we told them of our experience. I will tell you it was dealt with in a very professional manner and we were more than compensated for any inconvenience and we were still pleased that we had the opportunity to see Tonga and that which is important to the Tongan people **Please note we spoke with another couple that participated in a Sunday Tour and they said it was a very pleasurable and leisurely day with an exceptional Sunday Feast all delivered by the same company and driver.

From here every day got better as we slowly let go of the busy world we had left behind and slipped into "Tongan Time". We were never under any pressure, the staff were of quality service, able to carry plates without placing their fingers over the edge and placed and cleared our plates with minimal fuss and all with a Tongan Islander feel.

While on the island you feel like you are the only couple in existence and then by chance you may meet other people staying on the island while out walking or snorkelling and you have a bit of a chat and then move on to continue your own days events.

My hardest decision was what was I going to have for my next meal or where should I sit or lay to read my book. The hammock, the day beds the sun lounge under the trees or the one down by the beach. For my husband he spent time snorkelling, Kayaking or exploring the reef surrounding the Island. We did take the time to walk around the whole island one day after lunch - it did not take long but was worth the stroll.

COSTS
We did not use the meal plan and so our total stay for two people including accommodation for 7 nights and airport transfers it was approximately $2,400 AU. Add your flight costs to this and it was a value for money experience. Any of the Island resorts in Australia are equal to or in excess of this. So for the total relaxation experience and romantic escape do not go past FAFA Island.

• Liked — quire, natural, flowers and plants and outdoor shower
  • Disliked — No curtains
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Fafa Island Resort? Share your experiences!