“Good menu choice, helpful staff, good atmosphere - a place for socialising and sharing drinks or food with friends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vienna Cafe

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
Brixworth, Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I visited the Vienna Cafe with a work friend during May. The setting is a great old building; the front part is a cafeteria/brasserie style, with a mixture of different sized dining rooms set out for fine dining in the rear of the building. The menu is a mixture of Romanian/International (typical European mainland) styles but what caught our attention on the first visit was the Lebanese menu. When we met the manager it turned out he was Lebanese and a lot of the recipes we'd tried were his Mum's. Good food, we were served excellent wine, a great visit.

Later the same week we returned with clients. Having booked a table for our party we were given a private dining room. Again we were well looked after - we ordered a Lebanese buffet again and several bottles of the good stuff.

Back in Ploiesti this week (first week in June) I visited once more. It looks a little like the cafe is closed, but proper investigation reveals that the cafe has moved in to a pavilion they've built in their back yard. It seems that Romanians prefer to eat outside when it gets a little warm. The pavilion is very stylish but being open plan there is no separation from the bar/cafe area with the music playing. (I don't find eating to a club beat is exactly my style.) This time I chose a salad and a fish; fairly average. The house red wine wasn't so great.

In summary, I've had some excellent food and wine here. I'll be back, perhaps digging deeper in my pockets and being a little more selective with the wine.

• Visited May 2011