“Pleasant City Centre Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria Hotel

You added Astoria Hotel to your Saves list
Astoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Lapusneanu Street, Iasi, Romania (Formerly Victoria Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Iasi
Desborough, United Kingdom
“Pleasant City Centre Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Situated in the City Centre and within walking distance of the Railway Station. Friendly and helpful receptionist. Clean room with pleasant bathroom. Very effective air conditioning. A great open-air restaurant next door provides good meals, but can't remember it's name! Breakfast is in adjoining hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I wandered into the center of Iasi after an exhaustingly long train ride from Budapest and found the Astoria Hotel. I was offered a really small but completely adequate room with great wifi and a delicious breakfast (where one could order anything off of the menu) at the adjacent Hotel Triaan. My maternal grandparents were born in Iasi and I had the pleasure of exploring the contemporary remains of their world. I visited the Jewish cemetery that overlooks the town and even found headstones of possible family members, saw the site of the first Yiddish theater and the elementary school my grandparents may have attended. Wonderful to discover that my ancestral hometown is so full of life and beauty.

Room Tip: You could ask for a larger room with a view of the plaza.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my daughter as she was playing for England in the world schools championship. This was portrayed as the best hotel in Iassi (so I had little choice as I was there for my daughter playing chess) but we booked for the hotel traian and was placed in rooms in the astoria (the hotel occupies the same building AND SHARES FACILTIIES but WE WERE FOBBED OFF). The hotel was was very very cheap compared to other hotels I normally stay in so I didn't expect much for the price and yes it is very basic but you pay for what you get. I am not going to make much comment apart from that but I was originally placed in a smoking room with a faulty air conditioning (with a child!!!!!). The manageress did move me after I complained . My major COMPLAINT and BE WARNED do not STAY AT THIS HOTEL AND IF YOU DO PLEASE DO NOT PAY the hotel bill on your visa debit card. My main hotel bill was pre-paid but at check out I paid for my extras. I spent alot of money on food and beverages during my stay which came to 771 lei (£146). The front desk check out member of staff (Adrain Danu according to my bill) informed me that my card hadn't gone through as the machine ran out of paper. I re-inputted the card and yes surprise surprise on checking my barclays account 2 days later the hotel had taken the 771 lei twice. I have spent alot of time and expense in trying to recover this money and despite the hotel informing me they had made a mistake they told me they couldn't refund the money back on my card and would need to transfer it to my account (very unusual and now i believe it to be a delaying tactic). I HAVE SENT NUMEROUS EMAILS WITH MY ACCOUNT DETAILS, SWIFT NUMBER for barclays AND NEARLY ONE MONTH AFTER THEY ILLEGALLY TOOK MY MONEY IT HAS NOT BEEN REFUNDED. My bank are now investigating this as a fraud especially as the hotel have now ignored the last 2 emails I have sent to them requesting more information. I have all the evidence to pursue this legally and the hotel bill so will pursue this out of prinicple. The hotel extras have now cost me £302 and should have been £146 (and in romania this is a alot of money). They are branded as a best western and I will be informing them about this behaviour from one of their franchisees.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Ideal for a city break, this hotel is within walking distance to many attractions, it has excellent services, very clean rooms (towels changed every day). Not much to say about the design of the rooms, the beds were glued to the floors (which was a bit weird) and the rooms are small... But still a very good hotel. There is free wireless in the room with a very good connection (the positioning of the room just above the lobby may have helped, I don't know...). The staff is very helpful and friendly, great breakfast (served at Traian Hotel, which is in the same building, so you don't have to go outside the hotel to get there). Also there is a nice pub in the hotel with cheap but very good drinks. Very nice hotel, I recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Slatina, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Good services, good breakfast, the rooms are clean

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Raalte, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Very centrally located hotel, in the same building as the Traian hotel. They have a great service, for example they washed some shirts for me on sunday, while normally this service is only provided the other six days of the week.
Great breakfast at the Traian Hotel, which can be reached very easily through an inside corridor
Also a nice Irish Pub beside the reception.
Spacious, clean rooms, with airco.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

It's definetly not a very glamourous hotel but it is part of the Best Western Chain. I can confirm that you get Miles and More Points (or the Best Western rewards) if you stay there, provided you book from the Best Western site.

The good part is the location, right in the center of Iasi. There is a decent pub and also a very nice restaurant in a nearby hotel.

The furniture is a bit on the old side but still decent. Clean rooms and wide clean bathrooms. It was definetly not very impressive and rather dull. The staff was very nice though.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!