“Basic but view is incredible!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hillside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Batad
Hillside Inn
You added Hillside Inn to your Saves list
Batad, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Batad B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Basic but view is incredible!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here for two nights. It was very affordable. On the first night, we had their "suite" It was their most private room because we had our own bathroom in the room. We had troubles with the heater though and ended up taking a shower at the common bathroom the second day. On the second night, we had one of the rooms downstairs that was good for quadruple sharing. We didn't like the shared washrooms downstairs and still ended up going to the upstairs bathrooms. Rooms are definitely back to basics. Beds were decent and we didn't have trouble with any mites.

The view from the verandah was incredible and we took every chance we had to eat there. Having breakfast with the rice terraces as your view was priceless. Food was reasonably priced. You pay when you check-out. At night, the verandah was a good way to meet other travelers. Some of the couples we met, we ended up seeing in Sagada.

Staff at the Hillside Inn were helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed here for the view. Our window was most of the wall in size and looked straight onto the rice terraces. What an amazing view!

The room was basic. 4 walls and 2 double beds (only us two in the room). A basic light and no power socket. But it was clean and comfortable and worth it for the view. The toilets were OK but neither us nor anyone we asked could get hot water from the shower, despite the owners statement that the shower was hot. We went without the shower for the night.

The restaurant is OK, but more expensive than other restaurants in Batad. Excellent views from the restaurant too. The price of the meal is added to your room cost and paid for at the end. I get the feeling this is to make you forget about the cost of things. We spent P1250 on one night, two lunches and two breakfasts. I got a 'funny look' when asked about eating an evening meal there and I replied no.

Room Tip: Arrive early.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Aladin a member of the Adug family welcomes you to the Inn. It has great views of the terrace from the balcony restaurant. Toilets and bath are common and the showers have heater so you get hot water. Bring your own toiletries and towels.

There are guides there who offer their services. The trek to the falls is marked but get a guide as a respect to the local settlement.

Ladies will offer massage services but I do not recommend this. You can only have it on the lower level with no curtains to separate you from other clients. 2 girls shared the massage on me and not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of the terraces if available.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Me and my wife stay here last December 26-28 here is my review:

Location:

From banaue town, you will need to get there upon riding tricycle or jeepney for 1-2 hours. upon reaching batad saddle you will need to walk another 1-2 hours going to the village.

Staff:

Attentive and Friendly.. :)

Rooms:

-Very Basic
-No Toiletries
-Spacious

Foods:

The homemade Pizza is the best!

The only disappointing is the hot shower of the common bathroom in the second floor is not working but they try to fix it but no luck. they ask us to take shower in third floor.

Overall, our stay is great. View from the restaurant and in the second floor rooms are great.

Room Tip: i can suggest second floor rooms have good view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We came there after a stay in Cambulo village and the guesthouse is located at the top of the rice terraces and the view is really fantastic. Rooms are basic, clean and bathroom outside with hot shower. There is a small restaurant with not expensive prices. People can enjoy the roof terrace for eating and drinking.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This place had amazing views, great food and friendly owner. It also had how water, which is great after a hard days trek around the terraces. It is a short walk to the waterfall and the view from the bedrooms and balcony are second to none.

• Stayed July 2013
Hollister, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The view from the veranda cannot be beat. I think I spent over 8 hours there (not all at once). The food was really good, too. I took some risks and ordered food I didn't know and it was all cooked well. If you sit there long enough, pretty soon all these women come ask you if you want a massage and men come and ask if you want a guide and if you say no, they'll just be nice, pull up a chair, and make conversation anyway. I really liked that.
What I found funny was that you had to remove your shoes in the rooms area but the floor was really dirty so when you get back from your shower, the bottoms of your feet are dirty. I just kept my flip-flops on when no one was around just so I could keep my feet clean. The rooms weren't that clean, the window slat was broken, and lots of flying things were in my room. However, for some reason, I had the most restful sleep both nights I stayed there. I decided that great view, good food, friendly people, and restful sleep were more important than neglected housekeeping.
I saw the owners in a documentary about Batad a few weeks after I left and I regret not asking them more about the history and culture of the area.
I know my review is a little mixed but I did like the place and would stay again, but I would probably bring a rag to dust my room, some plastic to hang over the broken window, and secretly keep wearing shoes on the dirty floors.

Room Tip: Check the windows for breakage and the mattress for ants and beetles when you are first shown a room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hillside Inn? Share your experiences!