“Conveniently located between Paracas and Cusco (in Nazca); however at best a three star hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Nuevo Cantalloc

You added Hotel Nuevo Cantalloc to your Saves list
Hotel Nuevo Cantalloc
Carretera Panamericana Sur, desvio Puquio kms 3-4 | Cantalloc, Nazca, Peru   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Nazca
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

The quiet location, the walled grounds and the building itself are great and yes, it is off the street towards Abancay/Cusco, just outside of "downtown" Nazca), yet it definitely does not live up to the five-star rating that is displayed on the outside.
The staff tries to be of help. However, rooms, bathrooms and food are average to below average, especially if you expect a five star property. Too bad ...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This was the best property we stayed at in Peru. The bird watching is fantastic! The grounds are surrounded with adobe fencing and the splendors hidden inside are hidden from view. The hotel is very clean, the amenities are mostly new and modern and well cared for. No TV. The gardens are well maintained and a pleasure. There is a collection of animals on the property that provided much entertainment. The restaurant was clean, but the meals uninspired but way better than most in Peru. We enjoyed the walk to the aquafers just outside the property. English by the staff was weak, this is Spanish and Italian property. The grounds are outside of town which was an advantage and disadvantage. We loved it!

Room Tip: All the rooms seems fine.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Monza, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed in this hotel only one night as we were part of a tour with 4 or 5 star hotels.
This hotel is a farm and the owner is an Italian family.
Location: The hotel is located outside Nazca, about 15 minutes driving in a quite area.
The hotel is completed by a big green area where you can have peasant walk finding animals, vegetable growing and a big central swimming pool. There's also a loop around the property where you can just walk or run.
The overall atmosphere is really pleasant if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing experience.
Products served in the restaurant are grown in the farm so everything is natural.
Room: room are spacious and really high. Furniture and floor are in line with a farm style so I will define them country and simple. Also the bathroom is ok, nothing special. As it is a farm and all the rooms entrance is under open arcades, rooms are quite dusty. Bathrobe and slippers were not provided. Two complimentary bottles of water were included.
Breakfast: genuine but with a limited selection.
Staff: kind and collaborative.

I would suggest this hotel to person who loves nature, animals and quite areas.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

We stayed in Cantayo for 2 nights in early May 2010.
Let me explain. Cantayo is a beautiful place. The rooms are wonderful. There is no TV, but there is internet, so you don't feel cut off from the world. The gardens are huge with a tropical fruits growing everywhere and cows, horses, ducks, geese, turkeys. And also ostriches and llamas. There is a very large pool in the shade of a beautiful and very large tree, to protect you for the desert sun. The breakfast is lovely. We had lunch and dinner there as well and the food has always been good.
BUT. When we were there, we were the ONLY guests in a hotel that has 40 rooms. It was completely empty and you felt like you were imposing when asking for things to be done. The staff called us to make sure the restaurant is open for dinner. And even though the setting was paradise-like, it actually felt a little like a golden cage.
A previous review stated that the place only really caters for large groups and this is probably true as the owner (who was there the whole time we stayed and did not even acknowledge us) did not seem to care for us at all.
All in all, it felt more like a visit to your wealthy uncle who didn't really care for you and lived on a massive estate, rather than a relaxing time in a beautiful hotel.
Would I recommend this place - yes, but bargain hard on the price and make sure it is complete peace and solitude you're after. Otherwise do not stay at Cantayo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

While in Peru recently I was offered the opportunity of spending a weekend away from Lima down south in the Hacienda Cantayo. I’d heard great stories about this enchanting hotel located on the outskirts of Nazca, and so naturally I jumped on the invitation. Owing to the famous and mysterious Geogylphic Lines located on the plains outside the town, Nazca has grown to be rather popular with tourists and hotels have been sprouting up around the area ever since I started working in Peru. Of all the hotels in the area however, the Hacienda Cantayo is easily the finest. Besides being exceptionally comfortable, it has a number of subtle charms that give it a distinctive and noteworthy character.
Surrounded by the ubiquity of the Nazca plains, the Hacienda’s lackluster surrounding only adds to its charm. Now, I wouldn’t go so far as to claim the hotel is perfect because it’s not. Like most places it does have its flaws. Where the Cantayo however excels is in its seemingly inane ability to put all its guests at complete ease. I don’t know whether this is due in some part to its old world charisma, lavish comforts, or because of its oasis-like setting; but upon walking through the Hacienda’s heavy hardwood gates a sense of tranquility melts you over. Something about the white washed walls and the fresh scent of bougainvillea put one at complete ease; it’s an oddly comforting experience and feels strangely like déjà vu or maybe a dream.

Whatever the reasons it became immediately apparent to me that the hotel was a little more special than I’d been told. Arriving at dusk I ambled through the outer corridors as I was shown to my room. I don’t know if this is just me – but a hotel room without a television is something I’ve come to greatly admire. Traveling half way around the world to sit and watch your favorite television shows just seems crass and unimaginative to me. There is no room for that kind of behavior at the Cantayo; the rooms, while very comfortable, are sparsely decorated and functional. The idea I imagine is that – unless bathing, relaxing, or romanticizing – the Hacienda’s rooms essentially cater for sleeping purposes. All other activities can be done elsewhere.

Following a look around my room I ventured out briefly onto the grounds. I couldn’t see very much of the gardens as the sun had already set by this time. It seemed peaceful enough though and as I walked out further passing over a few fences I could quite literally feel my stress levels decreasing – that was until I tripped over an ostrich. It was quite possibly the last thing I’d been expecting to find in Peru, let alone trip over. The Hacienda Cantayo actually has a whole flock of Ostriches (kept behind a fence ofcourse), and after the poor bird and I had finished screaming at each other in dumb founded shock, I noticed that Giant African birds were not the only animals the Hacienda includes within its sanctuary. Llamas, alpacas, horses, monkeys and an array or other animals live in a sectored off corner of the grounds. By day they’re a fantastic diversion for the kids, and at night a bit of a hazard for those silly enough to walk into their living area.

I returned to the Hacienda and bee-lined for the bar needing a little something to dull both the shock of just having met the world’s largest bird, and the pain from having tripped over it. The barmen cooked up a magnificent pisco sour and by the time my food had arrived I’d settled down substantially and was falling back into the tranquil hacienda groove. The food was much better than I’d expected – a prime cut of Argentinean beef cooked to perfection in the Peruvian desert. The restaurant itself has a great hacienda-like vibe to it, and with saddles on the wall and a welcoming fireplace with some comfortable looking sofas I felt very much at home.

Being close to the Nazca Lines, tours run straight from the hotel directly to the airport – where passengers board a light aircraft for their flight over the lines. I’ve flown over the lines enough times in the past to know them fairly well. They still however hold a lot of attraction and I never get bored seeing them again. Following the flight I returned to lodge and spent the rest of the day lounging by the hotel’s phenomenal swimming pool. I believe this swimming pool has actually featured on the cover of guidebooks. However, it’s not the sprawling pool waters as much as the giant ficus tree that towers above it that serves as the main attraction. I spent the better part of an afternoon lounging about beneath this amazing tree while enjoying both the clear blue water and the hotel’s excellent pool side service.

The Hacienda Cantayo really is the perfect getaway for anyone traveling to Nazca. A world within a world, the Cantayo serves as a sanctuary and provides the type of comfort and service you’d expect from a hotel in a 19th century novel. I was sad to leave on a Sunday after breakfast and as I made my way back to Lima it began to dawn on me how the Cantayo could just be one of the best hotel finds in the country. I think I may be heading back there soon and strongly encourage anyone traveling to Nazca to consider staying in this fine establishment.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

The Hacienda Cantayo is located a couple of miles out of Nasca in a quiet, irrigated valley next to the ‘ancient’ (in fact part-reconstructed) aqueducts that are much-visited on the Nasca package tour circuit. The hotel seemed genuinely luxurious, in stark contrast to the painfully poor, outlying suburb of Nasca that is its immediate neighbour (just the other side of the enclosing high walls). One of the main attractions of the hotel is its extensive and attractively planted gardens, which also feature a large swimming pool. From these gardens there are superb views of the surrounding mountains, including Cerro Blanco, the world’s highest sand dune (apparently). The hacienda also boasts a helipad from which several tours of the Nasca Lines depart on most days.

My room was fine, although a little lacking in natural light, making it a bit too ‘monastic’ for my taste. None of the rooms had televisions, which to me seemed like taking the hotel’s expensive and somewhat affected rustic-chique a little too far (but I acknowledge that it cuts down on noise levels between the rooms, particularly along the echoing colonnades). The dining room, reception and bar/lounge area were all stunning but overall the hotel seemed a bit soulless. The reason for this is that it caters almost exclusively for large package tour groups. So when a group arrives the hotel becomes very busy, perhaps even too noisy. When a group leaves the hotel virtually shuts down (on my second night I had to request that they open the dining area so I could actually eat some dinner). Unfortunately this is very much a function of the Peruvian tourist industry which seems wedded to the idea of highly controlled package tour groups hurtling between sightseeing attractions to take postcard-replica photos and little else.

The hotel has a small menagerie scattered about its attractive gardens. Most of the animals were being treated okay, but I suspect most guests who possessed an ounce of sensitivity and who had actually bothered to notice would probably have been appalled (as I was) by the lone monkey chained day and night to a bare tree next to the main entrance. Ditto the numerous rabbits crammed into inadequately sized cages. I’m hardly an animal rights activist, having munched my way happily through cute guinea pigs and alpaca kebabs during my tour of Peru, but even I had an overwhelming urge to liberate the poor, manifestly depressed monkey confined to that one small, leafless tree. I guess my recent visit to the Manu biosphere reserve had put me in this frame of mind.

Another detractor for me was the fact that none of the reception staff seemed to speak any vaguely comprehensible English which seemed out of sympathy with the desire to attract international guests. A moment’s thought reveals why: they don’t have to. This is because the visiting package tour guides do it for them and the guests mostly interact with the guides only. Also when I enquired about some local tours the reception staff were utterly unhelpful. Basically they don’t need to be helpful because the hotel exists to serve large, organised groups in which everything a guest might do has been pre-booked several months prior. So, as an independent traveller, I found it to be a disappointing experience given that it is trying to position itself at the top end of the market.

• Liked — Luxurious & great gardens
  • Disliked — It's raison d'etre is to serve large tour groups.
  • Tips/Secrets — Become a package tourist if you intend to visit this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

This was a fantastic hotel to stay in - I was just sad that I was only staying overnight.

The rooms were light and airy. The setting was fabulous. The food was good. The staff were helpful. The hotel foyer was like an art gallery.

If going to Nazca, I would stay at this hotel - I was picked up to go on my flight over the Lines and all of the others on the bus were very impressed by the hotel.

Only downsides: Breakfast was so tempting that I threw up on the plane after all of those tight twists and turns - Just Say No!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The early morning wakeup call from the peacocks
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay for more than one night
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Nuevo Cantalloc? Share your experiences!