“Unexpectedly Great” 4 of 5 stars

Av. Imperio de los Incas 136, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Dallas, Texas
“Unexpectedly Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I do not frequent hostels. In fact, this was only my second hostel experience. I prefer a Starwood hotel any day. However, the options are limited in Aguas Calientes, so my friend and I opted for this well-rated hostel. It definitely exceeded my expectations. The hostel is relatively new. The staff are super-friendly. The location is great because it's right down the street from where the buses to MaPi load in the morning. You can also easily get to the trail for hiking to the waterfalls. The rooms were clean, and the en-suite bathrooms were a huge plus. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
jena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spent a night in the 6-dorm (31 Sol per Person) and the mattresses were very good, the beds comfortable. The Ecopackers is right aside the rail way tracks, so don't forget your earplugs.
The bathroom was big, the shower was very hot and with excellent water pressure.
Cleanliness was alright, in our room as well as in common areas.
Staff was mostly friendly and helpful.
WIFI is good.

The only thing to improve is the breakfast servive: They serve the included breakfast (bread, margarina, jam, hot drink, yellow coloured cold drink) from 4 am. That's great as you can even have your breakfast if starting early to MP. But when we arrived for breakfast at 7am, tables were dirty and full of dirty dishes. The Buffet was empty and the responsible lady ignoring us and watching an action movie. We had to ask her (almost to insist) to clean our table and to refill the breakfast buffet.
Therefore only 4/5.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was my favourite hostel from my trip to Peru! The receptionist 'Maria' was so lovely and helpful and made my stay really special. She also speaks great Engilsh which was very helpful for me as my Spanish is not very good :)! The hostel is in a great location and you can have breakfast from 4 am so you can walk upto Machu picchu for sun rise. The rooms were the tidiest and most comfortable that I experienced on my whole trip and the food in the restaurant was also extremely tasty! I would definitely recommend this hostel, the only problem was that I couldn't stay longer!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a 4 bed dorm on the second floor. The bed was clean and comfortable and the shower was...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Rosemead, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I'll try to be as quick and specific as possible
*Im 27 y/o guy my cousin and I stay at Ecopackers ..
So. At the train station was a young lady waiting for us she introduced herself as Maria nice girl then she took us to the hotel which is literally 4-5 minutes away train and bust station
*Clean rooms clean white sheets and blankets with their own name printed on the sheets. Our room had amazing window view hot water was available and most important to me. We had FASTEST WI-FI CONNECTION I EVER HAD so I was happy

*On the last floor Is a Lounge :-) where you could play pool drink a cold Cusqueña or if u r hungry enjoy some delicious Peruvian food mmmm yummy

Prices were more than fair we only stayed one night
Manager Jose seems to be a well traveled gentleman well manners a good man. Maria reception young Lady from Cuzco very helpful as well

I'm so glad I booked with this guys .

Room Tip: Book ahead of time just as any hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Really nice place in Aguas Calientes. The city is not pretty but very interesting and the hostel is located on the far side of the village, which is excellent since it is away from the noisy main street and close to the bus station towards MP and even closer to the first entrance if you are going to walk up.
The hostel itself has a nice reception, a good rooftop terrace bar/ restaurant and really nice staff. The rooms were fine too, so all in all very recommendable.

Room Tip: the last train stops at 2. AM in front of the hostel. I had a room on the front, it woke me up for a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bonn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Average hostel (I guess they know that people usually stay only one night in Aguas Calientes). The bathroom was clean, but the bedsheets weren’t really clean and the lockers smelled. The location is good, really close to the train station and as Aguas Calientes is a small village the center with shops and restaurants is also really close. When we got up in the morning there was no electricity (all over Cuzco) but the staff helped us out with a flashlight, which was nice. I guess because of this they also couldn’t really serve breakfast. They told us that they couldn’t go to get bread. So we ended up eating one slice of bread from the past day and had some Mate de Coca. But it’s nice that they usually serve breakfast at 4 a.m. for all the Machu Picchu travelers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We decided to stay a night in agua calientes after completing the 4 day inka trail. Much to our delight we were pleased with our decision as the room we booked served our purpose of a nice cosy bed and hot powerful shower. The only downside I would say about the matrimonial room is there is no door to the bathroom, which isn't great if you need to go to the toilet and your sharing a room. Believe me, you may want a door after the Inca Trail!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ecopackers Machupicchu? Share your experiences!