“Great Place - great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El MaPi Hotel

You added El MaPi Hotel to your Saves list
El MaPi Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Pachacutec 109 | Aguas Calientes, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Great Place - great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We were staying here one night to go to Machu Picchu. The lobby has couches where you can relax and wait if needed. Check-in was fairly quick and easy. The bell service was exceptional. Room amenities were explained. The room (a double) was large enough. Bathroom was clean and large also. The room had no AC that we could find but the windows opened with a breeze. The hotel is billed as "reduce your carbon footprint" so there may be some electrical savings in mind to not have AC. Dinner was provided free and it was excellent. Free drink on arrival, and free breakfast the next morning. This is definitely one of the best hotels in MP but not exactly posh. Still, they make up for it by excellent service in the bar, dining room, and in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

As everyone else has said, the town is a dump. El MaPi was a relief as it was clean and relatively serene. The floors left my socks dirty (I'm picking up a theme in Peru and hotel floors) and thank GOD we had a room in the back of the hotel. The music at night is VERY loud. Make sure if you stay here, you request a room in the back or you won't be sleeping. The room itself was large and the bed was comfortable. Yes it's bright white and stark, but who cares. You're there for Machu Picchu, not wall art. It's expensive but I think considering the town, it's worth it to be somewhere relatively clean with friendly staff. Oh, the internet is an absolute waste of time. The connection is so slow that there is NO POINT taking your laptop. I sat for 30 mins trying to get into YAHOOMAIL with no luck. Don't even bother. The one thing that did impress me was we checked out of our hotel, went to Machu Picchu, and actually got done before check out time. I was feeling a bit sick and was disgustingly dirty and they were nice enough to give us a different room for the last couple hours to have a rest and a shower as our room had already been cleaned. I thought that was exceptional service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed at this hotel only one night. I hiked the inca trail and part of my 5 night/4 day hike package included a stay at this hotel. I was very excited to check into a hotel after hiking and not showering. This hotel has a modern, hip, enviro vibe. Checkin was a bit slow, but they did mention you get two free welcome drinks at the bar beginning at 5:30pm. (Bar had a nice vibe and bartender was very nice) This hotel has free wifi- didn't use since I didn't have a computer, and also two laptops in the lobby. Internet connection was a bit slow (but it was free!). The rooms were clean but spartan (no writing desks or couches here!) ; flat screen tv on the wall with satellite connection. Fluffy robes on bed. GREAT BLOW DRYER!! Plugs were equipt for 120 and 220 volts. After hiking, I was really looking forward to the shower. It was lukewarm at best (and this was at 2pm; I note that the shower water was warm when I showered the next morning). Also, the hotel gives you a tiny thing of complimentary shampoo/body wash. I would prefer shampoo and body wash. Bathroom had a shower, but no bath. The shower didn't drain too quickly. In the middle of the bathroom, there was a drain. The little metal covering kept coming loose. The bathroom window (designed to look like a mirror) didn't really latch. All and all, my complaints were quite minor.

The hotel was located within walking distance to the rail station and buses to Machu Picchu. The hotel was apparently close to some type of disco. Beginning around 8pm, you could hear very loud music. I have no idea how late the music went since I put in my ear plugs and fell asleep around 10pm .

Breakfast was included in our rate. There was a buffet and the waiter offered a choice of scrambled eggs, fried eggs or an omlette. Food was good. There is a restaurant on site, but other than the free breakfast, I didn't eat there.

The front desk was very helpful with information and dining suggestions. I think this hotel is really trying and still has a few kinks to work out. However, the hotel is newer and modern and looked much nicer than the other hotels that I spotted around the town. Another plus, the hotel staff will take your bags to the train station. Ours arrived promptly, just before our train departed.

I would stay here again or the inkaterra (inkaterra is "unofficially" affiliated with this hotel)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Monza
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Very nice, conveniently located close to the rail station, public areas are very modern and styled, rooms not that much.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

This was the nicest hotel I stayed in on a one-week Grayline/Viajes Pacifico tour of Peru. Trendy and stylish. Nice room. I did not find it noisy. I got up super early to try to see the sunrise from Wayna Pichu, and it took a long time to get hot water. Other than that, it has wifi, I got a complimentary pisco sour, and the breakfast was the best free one I had on the tour. One weird thing was that the door plate for the safety chain was installed backwards, so that if the chain was used and the door opened, it would fall out when opened all the way.

• Stayed August 2010
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

stayed one night, thats all you need really in this town, excellent location, good bar, friendly staff, made us a breakfast box when we got up really early for bus to wayna picchu, breakfast not really made for kids, needs a female touch, rooms clean, good beds but no decoration or homely feeling. Good shower. Big, long way to carry cases. No elevator. Lots of steps. Is not cheap but nothing in aguascalientes is. Belongs to Inkaterra chain.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

El Mapi is located on the main stretch in Aguas Calientes with restaurants and bars nearby. The location is good to access the buses to take you up to Machupicchu, however it gets noisy in the evenings. We could hear music in our room despite being at the back of the hotel.

The room was very small yet functional. The bathroom was clean and the beds were comfortable.

Breakfast was provided early as we went to Machupicchu to see the sunrise. The chef cooked the breakfast fresh according to what we wanted.

The reception staff were very friendly and allowed us to leave our bags during the day and freshen up before we left on our journey.

The hotel is expensive, however aren't all hotels in that area!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to El MaPi Hotel? Share your experiences!