“No Hot Water!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge
You added Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge to your Saves list
Calle Huanacaure 105, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Chicago, IL
“No Hot Water!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed in room #5. It was very relaxing. The beds were very comfortable. There was some noise outside the hotel, but it stopped by 6 pm. The front desk was helpful. And they take credit cards (a rarity in Peru).

The biggest issue -- particularly when paying $150/night -- is that there was no hot water. After 4 days on the Inca Trail, I just wanted a warm shower. All I got was ice water. I tried when I arrived, later that night and again the next morning. No matter what I did, I couldn't get anything other than ice cold water. It was a major disappointment.

The wifi didn't work in the room. It worked only in the reception area.

Room Tip: #5 has two beds: a single bed on the first floor and a double bed in the loft.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

PROS: The rooms are really nice and the rooms were clean. Staff was very helpful and polite. Beds were comfortable. The hotel is removed from the downtown areas of the city.
CONS: You have to climb like 50 stairs to get to the hotel. Not a big deal unless you are exhausted from hiking all day.
We only stayed in Aguas Calientes for one night.

Room Tip: Some rooms have poor views while other have nice views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at Rupi Wasi for 2 nights as we visited Machu Picchu. It was a very fun hotel! I felt like I was sleeping in a enclosed, warm, comfortable tree house! The views were amazing!! The staff was very helpful and even sent the receptionist to pick us up when our train arrived. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed in the suite, which was small, but nice and certainly comfortable. The staff was lovely and actually helped book all my Machu Picchu needs (bus, ticket). The room came with a dinner at The Tree House, which was fabulous. A breakfast was included as well. They even packed me a lunch for my day at MP (eat outside the park, please). It was really good.

Room Tip: The suites are your most comfortable choice, albeit more expensive.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Arriving late with no reservation we got a suite with no problem. The very friendly staff showed us the very nice and clean room. Unfortunately it was dark already, so we could only guess the spectacular view. Getting up at 4 am with such a comfy bed was really hard!

With not even 5 minutes of walking to the bus station, the hotel was at the same time out of the world. No sound from the busy and loud Av. Pachacutec was audible from our room.

Highly recommended!

Henning

P. S. Order the lunch box with a tasty sandwich and self made cereal bars for your hike to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed August 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Loved the guides and staff! The accommodations are very basic but clean and attractive, and the activities offered were fun and definitely up close and personal to the animals and plants of the jungle. This isn't a flashy, zip line sort of place, but feels genuine and helps support the local economy. The food was excellent! This isn't a place for those who are not comfortable with the possibility of animals sharing your room at times, as the rooms are open to the jungle,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pennsburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Rupa Wasi was one of the recommendations for an overnight in Aqua Calientes by our B&B in Ollantaytambo when we visited Machu Picchu. I wanted to make all the arrangements for our visit to Machu Picchu myself until I discovered that the government Machu Picchu reservation site was not accepting overseas credit cards. In exploring Rupa Wasi, I found they offered a complete package which included an overnight stay, bus tickets to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu tickets, 2 hour guided tour of Machu Picchu, lunch boxes, and dinner at their Treehouse restaurant. After exchanging some emails - which they responded to promptly, answering all the questions I asked - I booked the package with them. Booking required a credit card payment of half the cost of our stay which was fine with us and which went through with no problems. After making arrangements with them, our adult daughter decided to go with us, and the staff at Rupa Wasi were happy to accommodate the additional person and recalculate the cost.
They delivered on everything promised. A young lady was waiting for us at the train station as promised with our name on a Rupa Wasi sign. She took us to the lodge. While it was a walk up a long flight of stairs, for us it added to the uniqueness of the stay. This was a bit after 8:00 am in the morning - long before the official check in time. However, the staff cheerfully accommodated our arrival, checked us in, held our baggage, produced our Machu Picchu tickets and provided box lunches and the bus tickets to Machu Picchu. By 8:45 am we were on our way to the bus, with a staff member going with us and making certain we found the bus with no difficulty and had promptly boarded a bus. At noon, we very much enjoyed the box lunch we took with us and all three of us highly recommend it. Our guide was scheduled for 1:00 pm and we found her right on time at the entrance to Machu Picchu as stated. Fatima provided an excellent tour, taking into account we had explored some on our own in the morning. At the end of the 2.5 hour tour, she even went with us on the bus down from Machu Picchu and walked us to Rupa Wasi. Our room was clean and spacious for the three of us with lots of hot water - we each took a wonderful shower after returning from a fantastic visit to Machu Picchu. The front desk accommodated our request for a massage for my wife, making the arrangements and moving the previous time decided for our dinner reservation - very friendly and helpful! Dinner was great - the package included a selection of any of their appetizers, a selection of any of the entrees and then a selection from any of their desserts. Additionally, the package included a glass of wine. The dinner was amazing! Service, presentation, quality of food, taste: everything was more than we could have asked for!
In our emails in making the reservation, I requested an addition to the package: an entry into Machu Picchu the next day - this time including a 10:00 am entry into Huayna Picchu - the bus transportation and box lunches. They happily accommodated the request, had all tickets and lunches prepared and ready as promised. Breakfast - scheduled at the time we wanted - was simple, but well presented and prepared and worked out fine for us. They gladly held our overnight knapsacks while we went back into Machu Picchu and even brought them to the train station, meeting us with our bags at an agreed upon time.
We were very happy with our stay in Rupa Wasi and highly recommend them to anyone visiting Machu Picchu. If there is anything at all negative to say, the best I can come up with are two things: the walls are pretty thin in the rooms- but we found this in all our accommodations in Peru (and while there happened to be some noisy children early in the evening, they quieted down pretty early and did not disturb us till they arose early the next morning!) and secondly, when I was going to pay in Peruvian Soles as I thought I had stated, but I might not have, the staff member at the desk wanted only US dollars or a credit card (I paid with my credit card and this worked fine and was fine with me.)
Overall - the staff of Rupa Wasi and the Treehouse Restaurant went out of their way to ensure we had a great stay - and we very much appreciated it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!