“Great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aguas Calientes
Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge
You added Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge to your Saves list
Calle Huanacaure 105, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Aguas Calientes
Annapolis, Maryland
“Great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The staff and restaurant are what makes this hotel special. Room choice is also critical. Room #5 seemed the best. We stayed in Room #4 for one night and it was perfect. Linens were nice and duvet was cozy. Room is sparsely decorated but I like that. The exposed wood made it rustic and appropriate for the area. There was natural light and plenty of hot water. The second night we stayed in Room #2. Totally different experience. Still adequate hot water, shower amenities, room linens. The down side to this room is that it is located lower on the mtn. and does not get natural light. Therefore, it is musty and damp. There was a dehumidifier in the room. It made some noise but didn't ruin our sleep in any way. I'd say it is worth the $ to pay for the upgraded room. Internet/WiFi didn't work in either room. Only place it worked was sitting on the porch outside. The breakfasts were good. The boxed lunch was perfect. The dinner was delicious. Carlo met us at the train station and walked us to the lodge. He was more than helpful our entire stay. Our guide, Fatima, met us the evening before our tour to give us details. She was awesome and knew her Machu Picchu history. Bottom line, it isn't a hostel, it isn't one of the high priced hotels, it is basic accomodations with a few added extras that are def worth the price. I didn't feel any area of town was sketchy or unsafe. It is a quaint little village with lovely people. Obviously, there could be a ramdom bad element but, the hotel is not located in a bad area. Lastly, they were excellent with email correspondence prior to our arrival. I was well pleased with the entire process.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Rupa Wasi on the nights of Oct 19th and 20th, 2012. From the moment we arrived we were picked up by a friendly staff memeber who escorted us to the hotel. There was a long flight of stairs to tackle to get to the hotel and restaurant but dont dispair!! Every step up is worth it! The manager, Carlo was there to greet us when we arrived to start head up to the hotel. He was warm, friendly, and helpful insisting that we let him help with our bags.
The first thing I noticed was that Rupa Wasi is more secluded and away from the hustle and bustle of the town yet is a very short walk to the town center and bus station to catch the buses up to Machu Picchu.
The second thing that really was quite special was that you get the jungle feel right away the moment you enter the steps from the main office to go to your room. They are covered with moss and made of stone. It was just so beautiful like stepping and the moss covered trees and angel trumpets, and other colorful and exotic flowering plants were peeking out here and there through the foilage. It was enchanting.
We booked the room 5 suite and we were so GLAD we did. It is a two story suite that has a twin bed on the bottom level with a a beautiful large window giving you a fantastic view of the mountians. The shower and bathroom is also down down stairs and while we were there it had clean hot water and great water pressure!! The rooms are clean, comfortable, and cozy and really give the feel that you are a part of the beautiful nature that surround you with the large windows and the beautiful wood. It was like the room just blends into the setting. The decor is very natural and not over done and this is what allows you to really appreciate the fantastic view. On the second floor there was a comfortable larger bed with nice comfortable and clean bedding. My husband is 6 foot 3 and he fit fine and was comfortable in both the bed upstairs and in the shower. The room is small but that space was utilized well and I really felt we had plenty or room to put our suite cases, back packs and outlits were in a handy place by the bed and we were able to charge our electronics like our camera battery and phones easily. The view from the large windows upstairs was really just breathtaking and romantic. This trip was for our 5 year wedding anniversary and this hotel helped make it extra special. Just stairing out the window at those beautiful mountains was one of the highlights of the trip, you just felt so close to them! It was a really neat set up.
Also, without commenting on the staff of both the hotel and the restuarant would be doing them an injustice. The manager, Carlo was fantastic and went over and beyond his call of duty to make sure our stay was special. My husband had gotten mixed up on our dates of when we were arriving and we missed our Hyuana Picchu morning hike. Our guide, Corina which Rupa Wasi arranged for us helped to talk to the people at Machu Picchu and explain our situation and we were able to climb the mountain with the 11:00am group, which was fantastic! Also, when we arrived back to the hotel Carlo felt bad for us and the mix up with the dates and they had us a very special 3 course meal planned for us and a bottle of wine. (little did he know it was the day of our anniversary and it made it more special ;-))
I found Carlo and the other receptionist who we saw briefly during our stay to be extremely friendly and helpful. Their warm smiles and hospitality really made an impression on me. For this reason this is why I am giving Rupa Wasi 5 stars. I feel that out of all the places we stayed on our 10 days in Peru no one took care of us like Rupa Wasi!

Cooking Lessons and the Treehouse Restuarant:
As I mentioned as part of our package we booked the cooking lessons. We did this the afternoon we arrived. I was hesitant to do this because my cooking skills and cutting skills are not the best unlike my husband who has taken classes ;-) However, after participating in the class I am SO GLAD we chose to do it! It was actually one of the highlights of our trip! Since our Spanish speaking skills were minimal Carlo the manager helped to translate for us when needed and everything went really smoothly without any hitches. We were taught to make a yummy pisco sour drink, a to die for cebiche recipe and a delicious chicken and quinoa dish.
The food was heavenly and I think a lot of that had to do with the skills and the passion of the chef. The head chef who's name was Jhin was warm, funny, and kind as well as a master of his craft. He really had great passion for making the meals and just watching someone work and demonstrate how to make the dishes with that kind of love and passion for his art of cooking made the lessons even more fun. He would demonstrate what the whole process was for the meal and then we would return demonstration with his help. I have to say I learned a lot and made the best tasting food I have ever made in my life--thanks to his instructions and help on flavoring ;-) He was a great teacher and it was evident he was very skilled and knowledgable. He was patient with me and my less than desirable cutting skills and actually gave me and my husband some great tips and now I can Juilanna an onion thanks to him. I really felt at ease with him and was able to relax and enjoy the time ;-).
We live in Los Angeles and have tried a great variety of cuisines and and many up scale restuarants and I can honestly say that they have nothing on the exquisite food prepared here. Again I think this was not only due to the Chef and the his expert skills but also due to his passion and love of food. Each meal we had was a little masterpiece. I dont usually get this excited in reviews or about food but this place and the staff were special. The food always had a beautiful presentation both in the cooking class lessons and when we dined there and we were taught how to duplicate the presentations for the dishes we made in our cooking class (which I cant wait to do!). IT was so much fun!!
We also learned a killer Pisco Sour recipe from Veronica who so much fun to learn from. She also took care of us as our server and was very professional and nice. Everyone we encountered at Rupa Wasi and the Tree House Restuarant really seemed to take pride and enjoy what they did. The food we made that night was so tasty that we decided to eat there everynight and in scoping out the other restuarants during our walks through town I am confident we did not miss out. We werent just another face and it made us feel special. You could tell it was genuine and they were proud of the service and food they prepare and believe me they have every right to be proud!
My husband's brother is a chef in the states and he also considers himself kind of foodie and we were NOT dissapointed-not once! We never had a meal that wasnt just to die for. We made a cebiche in our cooking class that I am still dreaming about because it was so good and now we know how to make it and will show off the dish to our friends at home! After this restaurant Peruvian food has moved to the top of my list of favorites--I never knew what I was missing!! You must go and try this restuarant and you must try the cooking lessons!!

Room Tip: For the wonder view choose room 4 or 5!!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Rupa Wasi is truly a great place to stay in Aguas Calientes. It provided us with a unique lodging experience appropriate for the surrounding area and the magic of Machu Picchu. We purchased the Cusco package (plus one extra night at Rupa Wasi) through Rupawasi and we were so pleased with everything that was included in the package deal. We stayed as a couple in October 2012. First of all, Carla and Roxana were extremely helpful and very attentive throughout the whole booking process prior to our trip. They responded to my many, many detailed questions regarding the hotels, our itinerary, etc. Everything went so smoothly and without a hitch. They set us up with the best tour guides Roger, José Luis, and Fátima. There was someone waiting for us when we arrived, during tour times, etc. The only time we did not have someone waiting for us was when we arrived in Aguas Calientes, but we were able to find our way from the train station to Rupa Wasi by asking a few people. We almost missed the sign and staircase leading to the hotel, but we made it! We stayed in room 5 which has an amazing view of the mountain. I was curious about the other rooms, having read various reviews on here I thought perhaps the other 4 rooms would be less desirable. We befriended people who were staying in room 1 and 2 who let us peek into their rooms and although these rooms do not provide the same amazing views, they are still quite nice. We were also able to see room 3 the second day as it happened to be available (after checking out early that morning, the staff held a bag for us and let us change and freshen up after our day hiking Waynapicchu and before returning to Cusco on the train). We found room 3 to be lovely as well. I think as long as you are wanting to have a "tree house"/cabin experience, you will not be disappointed in any of their rooms. Diana, Carlo, and Cathi at the reception were very friendly and helpful. Diana explained everything when we arrived (including how to turn on the hot water--for the reviews that say they have no hot water, not true! You just need to know how to operate it properly). They delivered ice to our room so I could ice my sore knees after hiking and really catered to whatever we needed. The only thing I will say is, yes, there are bugs but that is to be expected when you are staying in this environment. We used bug spray and we were fine. To top off our awesome experience, we were able to eat two breakfasts, the boxed lunch, and a dinner in the tree house and the food was fabulous. Thank you so much Rupa Wasi! We will definitely be recommending you to all of our family and friends! Oh, and as a side note, the package is often set up for spending the first night in Cusco then Aguas Calientes, then back to Cusco for 3 nights (although it can be set up in the order you would like). We chose to do all of Cusco first and Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu at the end and felt this was a great way to do it.

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner and I spent 1 night here after getting off the Inca Trail in October. Stayed in room #4. It was a nice room with a great view. After roughing it for 4 days it was a great place to relax. Filled up our water bottles multiple times using the free filtered water in the lobby, which was great. The only drawback was there didn't appear to be any type of heat for the room and it was cold outside, so we were a little chilly. Also only one of us got a hot shower...mine was still warm, but after no hot showers for 4 days you really want it hot. The place was nice though, wish we could have stayed one more night. I would definitely stay there again if I ever find myself in Aguas Calientes.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at Rupa Wasi following our hike of the Inca Trail in September 2012. The receptionist was very friendly and she provided us a glass of water immediately upon our arrival, which was exactly what we needed.

The courtyard beyond the reception area, and outside our room, was a nice secluded area, very relaxing.

We stayed in Room 5, which has the bed set up in the upstairs loft, with a beautiful view of the rooftops, mountains, and even a bit of Macchu Picchu. Once we figured out how to get the hot water, we had lots. It was the perfect way to relax after our trek. We also had a fabulous meal at the TreeHouse. Our mistake was that we both ordered the set menu, when we could have shared one! My husband is still talking about the meal at the TreeHouse - phenomenal!

We were looking forward to a bit of a sleep in, after having some pretty early mornings on the Trail, however, the one negative about our stay was the rooster that woke up at 3:30am and crowed, quite regularly, from that point on. We never got our sleep in.

Room Tip: As we were on our honeymoon, room 5 was recommended to us. The views were amazing, and the bed set...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place was our most expensive hotel we stayed at during our entire vacation but I do have to admit, it was a very cool experience! We stayed in #5 - the tree house unit. The bathroom had very good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The entire room was very clean and fresh looking. We did note some insects in the room but they didn't bother us. Insects in the room are inevitable when there are open air windows in the room. When we 1st walked into our room, it smelled so nice - lemon verbana scented. The bath products were all eco-friendly as well. I loved how this hotel was so eco-friendly. Our room had a wonderful view of Aguas Calientes (and Machu Picchu Mountain) as well. The service was also very good - the front desk had helped us secure MP and HP tickets in advance. The lobby also has complimentary drinking water and hot tea (although hot water was never provided, we had to go to the restaurant for our complimentary tea). Also, make sure you're in good shape because it's quite a climb to the hotel! We had a very nice stay and if you feel like splurging, you should stay here!

On a side note, while were were there, I did overhear a couple complaining about a lack of hot water in their unit. They had been waiting for 3 hours and it was still not fixed. They were rightfully frustrated since they paid $$$ for such a nice hotel but had no hot water. I hope the hotel staff did the right thing and compensated them.

Room Tip: Choose #5 - the tree house unit!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in Aguas Calientes on our travels through Peru. After much research we discovered Rupa Wasi Lodge. From the main court yard, you walk north a few blocks turn right and head uphill. The lodge is built into the side of the hill side which places you above the town for some nice views of the area.
The lodge itself is quaint, the rooms upscale rustic. We had a chance to view all the rooms, and we would recommend unit 4. It has a Jacuzzi tub, which is nice after a day hiking all over Machu Picchu.
Staff is very helpful and the lodge runs a package deal that includes dinner and guided tour of Machu Picchu.
By far the best part of the Lodge is their restaurant. The food was fabulous and desserts out of this world. This restaurant is so good that they also are in the business of providing cooking lessons.
All in all, we highly recommend Rupa Wasi. Just prepare was the uphill walk.

Room Tip: Ask for unit 4
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!