“Good place to land - the best staff” 5 of 5 stars

Calle Wiracocha M-18-4, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Announcement
Click for details
Berkeley, California
“Good place to land - the best staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My daughter and I spent 4 nights at Las Terrazas and had a great time. Starting with being met at the train by Bruno, which made a long day of travel much easier, things continued in a very positive way. We did have a chance to sleep in two different rooms, and if you don't like the sound of a river (which I do) then ask for one off the river. It is a great location.
Solidad, Yeri and Bruno were all very helpful and welcoming. Breakfast at 4:30am? or 8am? Fruit, granola, eggs, bread and coffee - a great way to start the day! And sandwiches made to order if you are heading up to Machu Picchu or elsewhere (they can make recommendations).

Room Tip: Like the sound of a river in a valley? Choose the river side. Quieter rooms are on the other side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Laguna Niguel, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for one night only.

They did not have any hot water, and even after they "changed" the gas tanks, it was still cold.

The breakfast was very limited, and they charged us for the 2nd egg.

In the afternoon, when we bought a snack at the "La Cafeteria" they would not let us have, or even buy, any of the chips that they had on hand.

The staff was very nice but they seemed to be controlled by someone that was not around...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After much research, trying to find a place to stay in Aguas Calientes, my fiance and I decided on spending our 4 nights at Terrazas del Inca due to the reviews and the price.

We were met at the train station by a nice, friendly man, who walked us and another couple to the hotel. It seemed like a long walk, only because we didn't know where we were going, it was uphill and because we were tired.

When we arrived, the other couple sat in front of the reception desk and we sat on the couches. We figured that we would be taken care of after them. Then something strange happened, the receptionist (I think her name was Sherry or Cherry), came over to us with the paperwork and a map - attending to us prior to this couple. We were quickly walked up to our room on the top floor by Sherry/Cherry to a dark room in the back with a very small window.

I had previously been in email contact with Carlos Mendoza, the manager, specifically requesting a room with a view of the river, lots of windows and natural light - he had assured me that it would not be a problem. When I informed Sherry/Cherry of this, she told me that she had no other rooms and that perhaps I could move tomorrow. I insisted that this was not acceptable as I did not want to spend my time packing and moving rooms. She appeared frazzled and did not know how to respond.

I followed her downstairs to see how to resolve this. On our way down, she ran into a co-worker and explained the situation...he quickly showed us room #101, which at least had lots of windows, even though it was at street level - but I thought they had said they had no more rooms??? I had read a review about another guest who had stayed in a similar room, expressing concerns about their window being left open after being cleaned and their personal effects being exposed to somebody possibly climbing through the window.

We accepted the room because it was the lesser of 2 evils, even if it wasn't perfect.

It was small but very clean and well-maintained. Towels were meticulously formed into some fancy display on the bed nightly.

The next day, we met Bruno, who was great and fun...very affable and explained our situation and how strangely Sherry/Cherry had treated us...he explained that a guest had gotten back from Machu Picchu sick so he had to stay an extra night, causing the "oversold" situation...he said that the other couple who we had checked in with ended up getting "walked"...I don't know...I found the story to be a bit suspect since checkout is at 9 or 10am...anyway, he said he would check into switching rooms.

I must have reminded him 2-3 times and even thought that he might have relayed the story to Carlos so that Carlos could address it with us...didn't happen.

We stayed in our room, though we came close to leaving early due to the intolerable mold smell in our room - it was ridiculously offensive - we deduced that it had to be in the bedding because the walls were cement, the drapes didn't smell, so where else? The toilet had a leak that would only make itself know sometime between midnight and 6am - we informed the hotel but to no avail.

Aguas Calientes is such a shanty town so what else can you expect without having to shell out the same price at some fancy place for barely one night for what you spend for 4 nights here.

Overall, the staff is helpful and friendly...Sherry/Cherry was definitely "the" boss of the front desk area - I came to realize that she knew her stuff, after I got over my disdain for her...she made us dinner reservations at the Tree House, 2 nights in a row and cheerfully stored our luggage on departure day. Bruno thoughtfully handed us umbrellas to use when it was raining...the hotel is basic but very very clean...the mold smell was just overwhelmingly awful, causing a restless sleep...the dampness is also overwhelming...wi-fi in the room and lobby was quite slow...the breakfast is okay, nothing to write home about but what do you expect for free? I recommend solely due to the value and Bruno!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manzanillo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at Terrazas del Inca for three nights. Aguas Calientes accommodation can be very expensive so we searched for a hotel in this price range and found this. It's not the Hilton but what you get is excellent value for money. The rooms are very clean and the breakfast is good. What made our stay here very enjoyable were the staff. They are very friendly and helpful, and took great care of us.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manzanillo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

A 5 star hotel it is not, but it is basic and clean, and in a great location. The staff, especially Solita (I hope I have your name right) and Bruno absolutely made our stay! Everyone bent over backwards to get ice for us, take our bags to and from the train station, help us find good restaurants, give us umbrellas so we wouldn't get wet, etc. It is so wonderful to see hotel employees enjoying their jobs and smiling all day, and that definitely helped us have a wonderful experience. Thanks so much!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NewcastleAus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night prior to visiting Macchu Picchu. The location was fine and the free wifi was excellent. The staff were knowledgeable and helpful. The included breakfast was tiny but it was free so we can't complain too much. There was no heating and the room was very cold. If I went back I'd probably try somewhere else but it was fine for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Aguas Calientes is an ugly tourist trap that should be avoided to the extent possible. In this context, this hotel is a really nice oasis where rooms are really nice and service is charming and attentive. The rooms are clean and elegant. Service went to pick us up at the train station and brought our suitcases up to the hotel.
However, we were dissapointed with the recommendations that we got from the staff at the hotel. We were recommended a restaurant for back packers where we were supposed to get a free drink if we referred to the hotel, and this was a disaster, because the restaurant was nothing special and they denied this deal after having accepted it initially when we sat down at the table. Also, the hotel staff recommended a guide (Ronald) who did not come himself and sent another guide that gave us a dissapointing tour full of historical biases.
In summary, a mixed opinion because the place was very nice but the recommendations that we got for restaurants and tour guide turned to be dissapointing.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that are close to the main lobby, since you will be bothered by the noise. Better...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Terrazas del Inca B&B? Share your experiences!