“modern hotel near station” 4 of 5 stars

Andina Luxury
Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
Ranked #13 of 32 Aguas Calientes B&B and Inns
Gold Coast
“modern hotel near station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

this is a modern hotel part of Andina chain. close to most thing but as town is small nothing is too far away anyway. our room overlooked the river and some people may find this noisy but on the other side of the hotel is the railway station that could be worse. room was clean with spa bath as a bonus.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

It's good value, clean, new, with great staff, fair breakfast;
Room were great, no problems with anything, comfortable and roomy.
Problem is location next to the train station. You can hear them calling out departure announcements early in the morning. either that or a train roams past 6am.
Not a good place if you can't tolerate any noise when sleeping.
But rooms are very nice. Recommended if you have heavy bags, or if you don't want to walk to the hotels up the hill.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I and my brother and his girlfriend just returned yesterday from a trip to Machu Picchu. We had an amazing trip, but an awful stay at the Andina Luxury. Let me preface what I write by saying that I am extremely well traveled and this was close to the bottom of hotels and hostels I have stayed at. I would expect bugs at a hotel that I pay $20-40 per night for, but at $120 per night I expected to sleep without swarms of bugs in my room and in the sheets.

We arrived to the Andina Luxury after hiking the 1 day Inca Trail and briefly checked in and dropped on out bags. We headed out to dinner as we were starving from the long day and hike. The room looked ok much better than I was expecting for what I have heard of Aguas Calientes. We were in a matrimonial room right on the river. We left for dinner and returned to the room (204) about 2-3 hrs later, to find our room filled with bugs when we returned. There were mosquitoes, moths, nats, etc. swarming around the bedside table lamp and all over the ceiling. We left one of the bedside lamps on, but that should not matter as the bugs should not be able to get in the room. I immedicately went down to the front desk and asked the reception to come and see this problem in my room. I requested that we change rooms as I was not sleeping in a room with as many bugs as there were in this room. The receptionist did not believe us and said that bugs were common because they were situate on the river. I finally got them to come up to the room to see, insisting that it was not just 1 or 2 bugs. When they came up, they were shocked and admitted that this was a problem. The receptionist still insisted that they could vaccum the bugs up and it would be fine. They were on the bed and all over our stuff, I picked up the pillow to find more on the sheets - just disgusting. ( I would also like to say that the previous week we stayed at a lodge in the Amazon 3 hrs from Iquitos- where I would expect to have bugs and the screened in lodge was MUCH cleaner that this room) .

The reception at the hotel was plain rude, they refused to move us saying that there were not any additional rooms and telling me that I must have left the door open and it was our fault. The door was never used, in fact it was locked and closed when we returned - the only problem, which we pointed out was that there was a huge gap between the door and the frame that likely allowed the bugs in the room. You could feel the breeze and see outside through this huge gap. I started taking pictures as it was obvious that I would need some proof and I wanted them to realize that I was serious and would report this.

Anyways, the staff was so rude, we spend 2 hrs arguing in english and spanish for our money back. We said we would just stay in my brothers room for the night or be moved to their other hotel. They said the other hotel was full too- although I doubt it was. We then talked on the phone to who they said was the owner although I doubt it was really the owner. They offered to vaccum the bugs out of the room, but I refused to stay in that room and they refused to change our room or move us to another hotel. They refused to refund us as we booked with a tour group, so we decided to take this up with our tour operator the next day and get some sleep.

Later, we went to get more towels at the front desk (as we did end up crashing in my brothers room for the night - which was bug free as his door shut completely) only to hear the reception woman trying to pawn off our room to another guest. We confronted her and let the other guest know of the problems saving them from a bug infested room. The other guest was appalled.

We stayed the night 4 people in 2 twin beds - which was bug free to my relief. I will also agree with other posts that the walls are paper thin and the beds are very hard. After this entire ordeal we did not enjoy a restful sleep at the Andina and did not get our money back from the hotel although we did get part back from the tour operator. Still not the $120 per room we paid for a nice double room with some privacy after a long hike.

We even decided not to leave our luggage at the hotel when we went to Machu Picchu the next morning as we did not trust the hotel staff and we afraid of our stuff being stolen. I would not trust the sketchy people at the Andina Luxury.

My advise is to I be very careful when choosing this hotel, inspect the room well and make sure the balcony door shuts, bring bug spray and do NOT get room 204. I choose this hotel based off of Trip Advisor reviews and I can say as a loyal Trip Advisor user that is is the first bad expereince I have had in 7+ year and many trip all over the world. Unfortunately Aguas Calientes does not offer any moderate priced options that are good or clean for that matter, so the Andina Luxury - bugs and all may be the best you get!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bonn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We visited Machu Picchu in May 2010 and did not have very high expectations of the hotel in Aguas Calientes. Turns out the Andina Luxury lived up to its name - clean, modern and hospitable. The hotel is situated next to the Urubamba and the roar of the waters may affect light sleepers. It makes for a wonderful view outside the balcony though! The shower is fantastic and the room itself exudes warmth and character. Whilst not in Peru to watch the idiot box, nevertheless the flat screen tv and satelite reception is a bonus!
The only dissapointment was the lack of internet and pretty basic breakfast. Else, this is a great place to unwind after the excitement of Machu Picchu.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Too short a stay at this lovely little hotel. The street was torn up in front, and the hotel was not finished, but the room we stayed in was very nice. Modern bathroom with great shower and a balcony overlooking the river. The river was so noisy it blocked out the sound of the train- which ran by just outside the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

We were very happy with our choice of this hotel. The location is good, just a few minutes walk to both the train station and the bus to Machu Picchu. The hotel is new and very clean. The staff is friendly and check-in and out was quick and easy. We had a jacuzzi in our room which worked great and was much appreciated after a lot of hiking. The room and bed were comfortable and we loved the small balcony overlooking the river. The breakfast was more than adequate, including eggs and pancakes. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I did not have high expectations for our Aguas Calientes hotel stay. Based upon other reviews on TripAdvisor.com, .we had reservations for Presidente Hotel for the night of April 19th. Apparently there was a water problem there and Presidente was completely closed, so we were told a day prior (by our tour guide) that we were"upgraded" to Andina. Its right up the street from where buses depart to Machu Picchu, and a short walk through the crafts market from the train station. The sidewalk was under construction so it was odd to span boards across train tracks to enter the hotel lobby. But once completed, I am sure the entry access will be fine. The modern room was very nice (see photo), including an unexpected big flat screen TV. However, our criteria for hotel selections was Wi-Fi, which was not available at this location, so that was a disappointment. The river was very loud, but not a major issue for us once the windows were closed. Bathroom was nice, clean, stocked with plush towels and had a very strong hot shower --- which we were grateful as some of the others we met in town had no water. Our biggest disappointment besides the lack of Wi-Fi was that the eggs at breakfast were awful -- the first poorly cooked eggs in 2 weeks of travel, so that is not really so bad.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Andina Luxury? Share your experiences!