“Good value for money but don't expect 5 start comforts” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostal Muyurina to your Saves list
Hostal Muyurina
Alameda Hermanos Ayar Mz 9 Lote 6, Aguas Calientes, Peru   |
London, United Kingdom
“Good value for money but don't expect 5 start comforts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I saw the reviews on Trip Advisor after I had booked my stay and was a bit apprehensive but reasoned that it would not be intolerable for 1 night. I was pleasantly surprised by the staff and premises when I arrived.
Good points:
Clean rooms with all the basic comforts - rooms, beds, linen and bathroom were all very clean and comfortable
Very friendly and helpful staff - they even allowed me to use a room and take a hot shower when I returned after the visit to Machu Picchu although I had already checked out
Bright and airy place
Not so good points:
Rooms do overlook the common reception area and if you have noisy people outside that may be disturbing. When I was there, everybody went to bed by about 9 pm so it was quiet
Breakfast is a bit basic but then they don't claim that they will provide anything fancy

On the whole, it's a good place for spending the night before going off to Machu Picchu. I spoke to the owner about the negative reviews on Trip Advisor and she explained that they had some bad staff who had now been replaced. Overall, it's good value for money!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are better (less noise)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Hotel rooms are small and simple and unfortunately that's the most positive thing to say. Worst hotel I stayed at in Peru...
Problems:
-Bedsheets were very dirty with black hair, dirt, seeds like the last person got in with hiking boots. I had to ask for clean sheets. Also had a cockroach in the bed.
-Both my husband and I got bedbug or spider bites while sleeping, took weeks to heal.
-Hotel staff speaks zero english so you need to speak spanish.
-Hotel owners live in the hotel and their children use the guest computer to watch movies, blocking guests out.
-First day they did not have enough breakfast for all hotel guests. They ran out of eggs and fruit on the people before us, giving us nothing more than a dry roll, no butter or jam. We arrived early for breakfast to. Food quality is pretty nasty anyway.
-They turned the hot water off at night, though it's supposed to be 24hr.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I am sure there were cheap, run down hostels within the maze of streets that I could have chosen, but this one seemed nice, comfortable, quiet, safe and a splurge of an expense. My room was simple - but had a phone (you need to get the "real/correct" phone number from the staff. The phone number listed on the business card and guidebooks is wrong.) I tried to reserve via their website, but received no confirmation, so I just showed up. $50 US a night for a single. No TV or anything in the room. No real breakfast (cold coffee, some juice and stale bread left out for everyone). The uphill walk to the hotel was tiring! The river out front was polluted and stinky, but the sound and surroundings made for a quiet nite sleep (except for everyone leaving in the early AM for Machu Picchu and trails). I know this was a cheap hotel for the town, but if you look and don't mind run down, you can find probably something else. The staff was family orientated and tried really hard to be helpful. The family bird was great!!! Some rooms had nice views. There was a computer available for Internet use.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was probably the worst hostal we stayed at in Peru, but that said, it doesn't seem like ANY hostal in Aguas Calientes in this price range is very good. We were lucky enough to have a second floor room that looked out over the river, but we also noticed that there were other rooms that didn't have ANY windows at all. We didn't have much problem with noise in the reception area (there was only one other couple staying there the night we were there, though), but the bright lights did shine in through the window over the door. The room itself was very basic, and the cleanliness wasn't great (stains on the comforter and walls, sink faucet that moved everytime you turned it on or off).

The breakfast was basic (bread, butter, jam, fruit, coffee, juice), which we grabbed on the go on our way to the 5AM bus to Machu Picchu.

The reception people were fairly friendly, didn't speak much English but we communicated fine with our basic Spanish.

There was a computer with internet in the lobby that they said we could use for an ourageous 4 soles an hour, but apparently the internet is very spotty and doesn't work when it's foggy or cloudy (which it often is), so we never actually used it.

The location is a bit more uphill than most of the other hostals/restaurants in the city. This means a slightly longer (and uphill) walk from the train station and from the restaurants, but also means you have a pretty view of the river and slightly more privacy, and you're closer to the hot springs.

Overall, I'd probably look around for a better place for a stay in Aguas Calientes. Everything is expensive and everything is slightly sub-par in the town, but you might be able to find something better for the price (about $50-60).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

In looking up hotels in Agues Caliente (Machu Picchu), we couldn't find anything that
had any great reviews, but the reviews for this hostal were not awful,but we found out the
few reviews were WRONG! From no toilet paper, no light in the bathroom to bug splattered
walls and an unbelievably long wait time to check in, this hotel was a nightmare. To top
it all off we were put on the first floor right by the front desk and we heard everything ALL NIGHT LONG! The kicker was finding bug bites on our legs the next day from something
that stayed the night with us in bed! DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Rooms are all located looking into open reception and very noisy. You can hear everyone talk, the reception staff and their children. No good if you want any sleep. Most people are in Aguas Calientes for 1 night whilst they visit Mach Pichu, so okay if your getting up early for the 5.30 am bus. They do serve basic breakfast from 4.45am. Staff are friendly but don´t speak english. There are many hotels here all over priced but I did find other place similarly priced but alot quieter

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I am going to give you a review based on facts and my opinion at the bottom
Facts:
Pros:
- When we arrived at the train station, the receptionist lady was waiting at the train stop with our names on it and walked us to the hotel.

Cons:
- The rooms do not get any sunshine, therefore are very humid and mattresses/beds are very damp
- The walls are very thin, therefore it is very very noisy
- Our sink was broken and water was leaking
- It might have been a one time issue but there was no water on our first night
- They misled us with their tour guide pricing, pretending that we couldn't understand english, they changed their tour guide prices from $20USD for both of us for private guide, to $15 USD each for private tour guide and we finally ended up paying $20USD for a shared tour with 20 other people, which they pretended was what they had said. I have learned spanish long enough that I know what someone is trying to tell me.

My opinion:
I would not recommend you staying here, I believe you have better choices in the city in terms of hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Muyurina? Share your experiences!