TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #27 of 116 Hotels in Lagos
Nairobi, Kenya
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

House J is a decent place to stay on business in Lagos - friendly atmosphere, above average but costly food (great ice cream parlor across the road), nice bar. Got a huge room this time but eaten by mosquitoes overnight with sleep otherwise limited by noisy generator in adjacent premises - management have offered an alternative room. Other guests have complained of noisy disco nearby. Will stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the front portion of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have just returned from a work trip to Lagos where a colleague and I stayed at House J for the first time. I can really recommend the hotel and I enjoyed my stay there far more than in the big chain hotels I have previously stayed in on VI. The hotel is small and split over 2 sites in the same street.

The rooms are spacious and furnished to a good standard and not with the corporate uniformity that the chain hotels have. I thought the food in the evening was excellent and not very expensive, certainly not by Lagos hotel standards. The bar has a good range of drinks and is open around the clock. The wifi worked fine.

The staff are very friendly and generally very accommodating and helpful, especially the gate staff. My colleague had a problem though as he needed to swap the wifi registration from his phone to his laptop. This for some reason just could not be done, which was a great pity as it caused him lots of difficulties.

It has a very good location in Ikeja and is a short drive from the airport, which is great when arriving on late domestic flights. I certainly felt very safe there. We went to a bar up the road a couple of times, watched the football, and found the locals there very friendly. It would have been good to have known earlier about the pool, which was on the other site, although having said that we wouldn’t have much time to use it.

All in all, a great place to stay and I’ll certainly go back there on my next trip which will be in the summer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very well maintained hotel and rooms and it feels so safe.
also the staff is very very nice and the best part was when the chef decided to cook for us something vegetarian specialy.I really look forward to staying In there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Douala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is very reasonable for Lagos and if you stay at the annex at number 11 it's very comfortable with a pool, reasonable food and good service.

Located in the Ikeja GRA it is close to the airport and the Ikeja industrial estate.

It is built around a courtyard with the pool in the centre.

There is a small gym and a good bar.

The grilled fish is usually extremely good!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer annex at number 11.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

...and last weekend, Friday / Saturday when the need to stay the night before my flight to London in Lagos arose, House J was the place to be. I have always been in the front building, until the last weekend when I was booked into a room at the new complex at the back ! OMG...The management thus made a nasty mistake, as there is no way I am gonna settle for anything but the new complex anymore.

If you want to have the very best of HJ, asked for a room in the new complex at the back. Period. The only problem is that you have the bar at your beck and call to start with, and you will be more than tempted to go for a swim non- stop, all night long. The swimming pool is right in front of you...all services as perfect as ever...and of course, I ll be back. Meanwhile, thanks for the great service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I spent two days in House J during the recent book fair in Lagos. I was really impressed with every aspect of the hotel. Service was excellent , staff were friendly, food quality and variety was great and the design and décor of the room was the best I have seen in Nigeria. Most guests were European and I made some good new friends in the bar – which has a great ambience. I can recommend this hotel as an excellent alternative to the overpriced branded hotels in the near by area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself (white Irish female in 30s) & my partner (black Nigerian male in 40s) stayed at House J Suites twice on our recent trip to Lagos for a total of 4 nights. It was my first time in Nigeria & my partner was worried about security but the hotel was very safe & secure. We paid for the hotel pick up & an armed guard was in the car on both occasions. I had no problem sleeping in this hotel. The pillows are light & felt clean. I brought my own pillow cases & this was the only hotel I didn't feel the need to use them. The restaurant is beautiful. The food is very expensive (as with all hotels) but there is a restaurant across the road, KFC is near by & also a fixed price supermarket a 5 minute walk away which we only discovered on our last day (they sell scoops of icecream upstairs!). We were able to use the swimming pool at the sister hotel, Hotel J, across the road and the pool area was lovely with very nice furniture. Our first room was huge with the biggest bathroom I've ever seen and a jacuzzi bath, but this was just a tease as there was no bath plug so we couldn't use it. Our second room when we returned at the end of our trip wasn't to our liking but they changed us to a nicer room with no problem. There is a small seating area outside where we drank our beers at night & listened to music. We decided to go to the night club across the road on our last night & paid a ridiculous amount of money in only to discover it's a lap dancing club!! So be warned. We had asked many people in advance about the club & nobody mentioned this to us which is strange but we were able to laugh it off as a learning experience. I really love the grey colour scheme of this hotel, it's very classy. The rooms seem expensive but we walked around other hotels in the area to compare prices & all were a good bit more expensive so I would stay in House J Suites again. The hotel has aromatic oil diffusers in the corridors which is a nice touch. For anyone who hasn't been to Nigeria before, when they say that breakfast is included in the room rate they only mean for 1 person. I've travelled to many countries & this was my first time to encounter this but we stayed in other hotels across Nigeria & all only include 1 breakfast, 1 towel, etc. even if you're a couple. It would be useful to state this on the advertised prices so guests are aware of this to avoid any confusion. Breakfast was a choice of eggs or eggs! Seems to be a Nigerian thing too. The menu advertised a glass of wine which I ordered & was told they only sell by the bottle; again this appears to be a Nigerian thing but it would make sense to only have a bottle on the menu & delete the glass option. Electricity was always very quick to return in this hotel & staff were nice & friendly but not overpowering. Overall, a very pleasurable experience & we will definitely stay here again if in Lagos.

Room Tip: The second time we stayed here we didn't like the room & the recepionist was accommodating i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple