TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Protea Hotel Victoria Island

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Victoria Island to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Victoria Island
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plot 1700, Violet Yough Close | Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Lagos
“Great business stay in Lagos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed 3 nights here on my first trip to Lagos. Safe and secure with plenty of security to make first time travelers to Nigeria feel really safe and welcome. Centrally situated to my business destinations and main city businesses. Staff are friendly, especially reception - waiters on the quiet side but still pleasant and helpful. Wi-fi free for guests and worked immediately with no hassles during my stay. Rooms are well equipped for business needs. Clean, with great shower and bath. Aircon is a must here, so was pleasant to find a really cool room and Aircon worked well throughout stay. Even with power outages, hotel would kick back on immediately - I'm assuming generator. Breakfast was a little on the light side with a limited offer on cereals and yogurts, but had a full offering of the usual hot, fried breakfast fare. Poached eggs were done to my satisfaction. The surprise was the prawn curry I ordered in my room one night - not typical Indian style, but rather a Thai type of prawn curry. Was excellent! Nice pool area for those who want to enjoy a poolside cocktail. No gym.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony (if they all don't have one) if you're a smoker as there are no sm...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Mr. Yusuf, Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Protea Hotel Victoria Island and we appreciate your kind and honest comments. I will follow up as to why you were not informed about our gym on check-in, as it is attached to our annex building at the back. We hope to see you back in the near future where your stay will be as, if not more enjoyable.

Regards,
Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
JHB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

stayed here last week, Charmaine and her team, including Chigozie, Friday and the others go out of their way to make you feel welcome. lovely hotel with good food. twas my second stay here and will definately be coming back. keep up the good work guys.

Room Tip: request a room in the old building and avoid the new building which has a conference centre and busi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kington St Michael, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

A very friendly staff and a comfortable room.
However some lack of communication between the folks in the resturant and bar. We ordered our evening meal from the bar and made three requests when our meal would be ready. We then discovered by chance it was on a table in the Resturant all the time! By this time it was stone cold! We had to reorder!
The room was ok but one curtain was hanging off the rails. Are the rooms ever checked?

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Sir, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Protea Hotel Victoria Island in November and I apologize for the delayed response as I have recently resumed. Every effort is being done to rectify your valid comments and we wish to host you again in the near future.

Regards,
Tim
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Protea in Victoria Island and where very happy with the great service and great food supplied by Eleanor and Charmaine both of whom where highly visible and very interactive with the guest.

The stay was very relaxing and at a very reasonable price not to mention the very friendly staff members

Raymond

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Raymond E

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will convey your message to all the STAFF. Chef Eleonor is training and cooking up a storm with her new menu which she will be implementing at the hotel in December. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Very nice rooms, great staff and not bad food! The hotel was quiet (maybe a little too quiet when confined to our hotel). I am going to be coming to Lagos again soon and i will definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brandoneisie31

Thank you very much for your review, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Victoria Island in the near future.

Wiltshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have been travelling to Lagos for the past 30 years on business and usually stayed at one of the main international hotels; this was my first stay at the Protea VI.
Anyone reading the TA reviews can get the message; this place has great service, it has clean, comfortable and stylish rooms, the food is excellent, everything works and it is very secure.
In fact, it is a little island of calm!
OK if you want glitz and action then it is not the place for you.
The only disadvantage for my work is that there is limited space for meetings; just the (small) bar area and restaurant, because this place has no lobby in the traditional sense.
But, it will certainly be my base of choice in the future on VI as I really liked this place.

Room Tip: Pick on in the main block looking out over the pool with balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Andrew B, Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, this is like always much appreciated. We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. During your next stay please let us know, as we do have a board room which our GUESTS normally use for small informal meetings.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small hotel on Victoria Island, but its adequate. Reception was very friendly and I was given a bottle of Guinness during check in (although I think that this was just because I’m Irish!).
My room was nice enough, the bed was comfy and the bathroom adequately clean. The hotel was very quiet during my stay. At breakfast there was only a couple of other people apart from my colleague and I. Breakfast is only ok, not a great selection and all of the cereals seemed to be stale. The small bar had a very friendly barman, who was happy to recommend a cocktail for us using some Nigerian juices. The outdoor pool is small, but it’s partially shaded which is good. The gym is very small, and not air conditioned enough.
A few days after checking out, I noticed that the hotel had put a very random charge of approx. €600 on my credit card in addition to my actual room bill. Obviously I contacted both the hotel and my bank to stop this charge and the Proteas response was that they charged my card my bill twice in error. This is not what happened as my actual bill was a different amount. They refunded the money within a few days, but it left me very suspicious of the hotel. Because of this event and the fact that the hotel is very quiet, I don’t think that I’d stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Since your stay in August last year we have rectified the AC in our gym, we have also improved on our breakfast selections. With regards to the comment of double payment on your credit card would you be so kind as to mail me direct on gm@proteavi.com so I can personally investigate the issue.

Regards
Charmaine

Been to Protea Hotel Victoria Island? Share your experiences!