TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Review of Protea Hotel Victoria Island

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Victoria Island to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Victoria Island
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Plot 1700, Violet Yough Close | Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #6 of 71 hotels in Lagos
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Protea in Victoria Island and where very happy with the great service and great food supplied by Eleanor and Charmaine both of whom where highly visible and very interactive with the guest.

The stay was very relaxing and at a very reasonable price not to mention the very friendly staff members

Raymond

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Raymond E

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will convey your message to all the STAFF. Chef Eleonor is training and cooking up a storm with her new menu which she will be implementing at the hotel in December. We are looking forward to your next visit.

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Very nice rooms, great staff and not bad food! The hotel was quiet (maybe a little too quiet when confined to our hotel). I am going to be coming to Lagos again soon and i will definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brandoneisie31

Thank you very much for your review, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Victoria Island in the near future.

Wiltshire UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have been travelling to Lagos for the past 30 years on business and usually stayed at one of the main international hotels; this was my first stay at the Protea VI.
Anyone reading the TA reviews can get the message; this place has great service, it has clean, comfortable and stylish rooms, the food is excellent, everything works and it is very secure.
In fact, it is a little island of calm!
OK if you want glitz and action then it is not the place for you.
The only disadvantage for my work is that there is limited space for meetings; just the (small) bar area and restaurant, because this place has no lobby in the traditional sense.
But, it will certainly be my base of choice in the future on VI as I really liked this place.

Room Tip: Pick on in the main block looking out over the pool with balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Andrew B, Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, this is like always much appreciated. We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. During your next stay please let us know, as we do have a board room which our GUESTS normally use for small informal meetings.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a small hotel on Victoria Island, but its adequate. Reception was very friendly and I was given a bottle of Guinness during check in (although I think that this was just because I’m Irish!).
My room was nice enough, the bed was comfy and the bathroom adequately clean. The hotel was very quiet during my stay. At breakfast there was only a couple of other people apart from my colleague and I. Breakfast is only ok, not a great selection and all of the cereals seemed to be stale. The small bar had a very friendly barman, who was happy to recommend a cocktail for us using some Nigerian juices. The outdoor pool is small, but it’s partially shaded which is good. The gym is very small, and not air conditioned enough.
A few days after checking out, I noticed that the hotel had put a very random charge of approx. €600 on my credit card in addition to my actual room bill. Obviously I contacted both the hotel and my bank to stop this charge and the Proteas response was that they charged my card my bill twice in error. This is not what happened as my actual bill was a different amount. They refunded the money within a few days, but it left me very suspicious of the hotel. Because of this event and the fact that the hotel is very quiet, I don’t think that I’d stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Since your stay in August last year we have rectified the AC in our gym, we have also improved on our breakfast selections. With regards to the comment of double payment on your credit card would you be so kind as to mail me direct on gm@proteavi.com so I can personally investigate the issue.

Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are South African, you will feel right at home. The room was spacious, and bathroom very clean. Security is really good - gives you a good sense of comfort knowing that you are safe. The service is really excellent!! Clifford, thank you for the awesome cocktail and your wonderful sense of humour!! The food is good - don't leave without trying their Thai Green chicken curry!! I would say this hotel is better than the Federal Palace which is way more expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear GUEST

Thank you for your kind review. I will inform Clifford about his cocktail and I am positive he will have one waiting for you on your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My room was very spacious and comfortable. Staff friendly and very professional. I felt secure which was important as this was my first trip to lagos. The meals were good. A really nice touch was the 'work space' in my room (a very comfortable desk and chair where i could get some work done in the evenings). Free wi fi is always a plus. Definitely a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear GUEST

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Your kind comments are much appreciated and we are looking forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Nigeria.

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Protea Hotel Victoria Island – Lagos, Nigeria

I loved this compact, boutique-style hotel and hope to stay there again the next time I return to Lagos. The décor is modern but inviting, the staff is friendly and helpful, the room is comfortable, the restaurant was surprisingly excellent, and everything worked including (importantly) the high speed wireless internet.

This hotel – Protea Hotel Victoria Island - is located on Victoria Island. (There is another Protea brand hotel on Victoria Island that has a slightly different full name. I visited there and it seemed quite nice – with a compelling view over a river – but I did not stay there.)

The lobby and common areas are modern and somewhat minimalistic but very tasteful. I had a couple informal meetings in an area just off the lobby and between the bar and restaurant (pretty much all open) and the space was comfortable and adequate. I wound up having and enjoying three meals at the hotel and was surprised by how excellent they were. A seafood pasta dish for dinner was particularly tasty and loaded with fresh seafood. The service in the restaurant and bar was also impressive, with Ethel and Francis demonstrating great attitudes and competence.

My room was compact (one of the regular rooms as the deluxe rooms are larger) but very nice and comfortable. This may be the cleanest hotel I have experienced in Nigeria. I slept well. The bed was comfortable and not overly firm (many Nigerian properties have beds that Americans would consider far too firm.) Although all of Lagos is busy and traffic and other noises, the soundproofing was obviously adequate to give me a quiet night’s sleep. The air conditioning worked flawlessly. The large, flat-screen satellite TV service had more channels than many Nigerian hotels and worked fine. There is also a good work desk in the room. My favorite part of the room was the lovely bathroom with a large, modern and beautiful walk-in shower.

There is a small attractive pool with nice seating (tables, chairs and loungers for sun bathing) but I did not have time to try it out.

Importantly, the wireless internet worked perfectly and was fast enough to download large documents and even watch videos (rare in Nigeria).

As with most places in Africa, the electrical power flashed off a few times but the hotel’s generators were always quick to compensate. We never went without power for even a full minute.

Security, with gates and guards, seemed to be taken seriously and appeared competent.

This is not an inexpensive hotel but costs less than Eko, Sheraton and other comparable properties while being nicer, newer and cleaner but definitely smaller.

I was particularly impressed by and pleased with the friendly service, including Elizabeth (the best!) and Lanre at the front desk. The manager, Charmaine, also spoke with me, was wonderfully friendly and informative, and obviously loves and cares about her job. I have no doubt that she, with both her operational skills and her ability to identify and train friendly and talented employees, is a major factor in why this is such a wonderful hotel.

This is an outstanding business traveler’s hotel that is comparable in quality and comfort to any quality business traveler hotel in the United States or Europe. I have stayed previously in several Lagos hotels but will return to this one on my next visit.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are larger and a little more luxuriious than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear GUEST

It is awesome to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel and thank you very much for your feedback. This is much appreciated and I will personally inform all STAFF involved. It was only a pleasure to have met you during your stay.

We are looking forward to your next visit at Protea Hotel Victoria Island.

Charmaine

Been to Protea Hotel Victoria Island? Share your experiences!