TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“comfortable and secure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Victoria Island

You added Protea Hotel Victoria Island to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Victoria Island
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plot 1700, Violet Yough Close | Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Lagos
Johannesburg, South Africa
“comfortable and secure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My room was very spacious and comfortable. Staff friendly and very professional. I felt secure which was important as this was my first trip to lagos. The meals were good. A really nice touch was the 'work space' in my room (a very comfortable desk and chair where i could get some work done in the evenings). Free wi fi is always a plus. Definitely a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PH-VictoriaIsland, General Manager at Protea Hotel Victoria Island, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear GUEST

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Protea Hotel Victoria Island. Your kind comments are much appreciated and we are looking forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Nigeria.

Charmaine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Protea Hotel Victoria Island – Lagos, Nigeria

I loved this compact, boutique-style hotel and hope to stay there again the next time I return to Lagos. The décor is modern but inviting, the staff is friendly and helpful, the room is comfortable, the restaurant was surprisingly excellent, and everything worked including (importantly) the high speed wireless internet.

This hotel – Protea Hotel Victoria Island - is located on Victoria Island. (There is another Protea brand hotel on Victoria Island that has a slightly different full name. I visited there and it seemed quite nice – with a compelling view over a river – but I did not stay there.)

The lobby and common areas are modern and somewhat minimalistic but very tasteful. I had a couple informal meetings in an area just off the lobby and between the bar and restaurant (pretty much all open) and the space was comfortable and adequate. I wound up having and enjoying three meals at the hotel and was surprised by how excellent they were. A seafood pasta dish for dinner was particularly tasty and loaded with fresh seafood. The service in the restaurant and bar was also impressive, with Ethel and Francis demonstrating great attitudes and competence.

My room was compact (one of the regular rooms as the deluxe rooms are larger) but very nice and comfortable. This may be the cleanest hotel I have experienced in Nigeria. I slept well. The bed was comfortable and not overly firm (many Nigerian properties have beds that Americans would consider far too firm.) Although all of Lagos is busy and traffic and other noises, the soundproofing was obviously adequate to give me a quiet night’s sleep. The air conditioning worked flawlessly. The large, flat-screen satellite TV service had more channels than many Nigerian hotels and worked fine. There is also a good work desk in the room. My favorite part of the room was the lovely bathroom with a large, modern and beautiful walk-in shower.

There is a small attractive pool with nice seating (tables, chairs and loungers for sun bathing) but I did not have time to try it out.

Importantly, the wireless internet worked perfectly and was fast enough to download large documents and even watch videos (rare in Nigeria).

As with most places in Africa, the electrical power flashed off a few times but the hotel’s generators were always quick to compensate. We never went without power for even a full minute.

Security, with gates and guards, seemed to be taken seriously and appeared competent.

This is not an inexpensive hotel but costs less than Eko, Sheraton and other comparable properties while being nicer, newer and cleaner but definitely smaller.

I was particularly impressed by and pleased with the friendly service, including Elizabeth (the best!) and Lanre at the front desk. The manager, Charmaine, also spoke with me, was wonderfully friendly and informative, and obviously loves and cares about her job. I have no doubt that she, with both her operational skills and her ability to identify and train friendly and talented employees, is a major factor in why this is such a wonderful hotel.

This is an outstanding business traveler’s hotel that is comparable in quality and comfort to any quality business traveler hotel in the United States or Europe. I have stayed previously in several Lagos hotels but will return to this one on my next visit.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are larger and a little more luxuriious than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear GUEST

It is awesome to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel and thank you very much for your feedback. This is much appreciated and I will personally inform all STAFF involved. It was only a pleasure to have met you during your stay.

We are looking forward to your next visit at Protea Hotel Victoria Island.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I found it small for a business type hotel but that is probably what gave it such a friendly atmosphere. I had to travel to work outside Lagos and it was always a pleasure and relief to return to the Protea in the evenings. Anyone who has worked in Nigeria will know what I mean.
My room was clean and comfortable. The internet was reliable and the restaurant was quite good. I felt safe staying there. I don't think there is much more I could ask from a hotel in Nigeria.

Room Tip: go for the delux room, it's worth the extra cost
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Protea Hotel Victoria Island. We are very pleased to know that you felt safe and secure at our hotel.

We are looking forward to hosting you once again at Protea Hotel Victoria Island during your next trip to Lagos.

Teignmouth,UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at the Protea VI in October 12, and whilst the staff were all very friendly and helpful the quality of the rooms was way below the star rating. Security of the rooms was poor with balcony doors that would not lock and no way of securing your privacy through the main bedroom door if a master key was used. The 'safe' was not secured in any way, so there was no point in using it. Standard of cleanliness in the bathroom was below average and the water pressure was appalling. The restaurant was tidy and comfortable, but the range of food offered was poor at all meal times. On a Sunday, when I know Lagos folk like to go out to eat, our small party were the only people in the restaurant and the food on offer looked the same as the night before. I travel around the world, on business, several times per year and my opinion is that this is a 'tired hotel' and needs investment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Protea Hotel Victoria Island for two nights during a business trip to Lagos. I found all staff at the hotel to be exceptionally helpful. My room was large, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was quite nice, with a separate bathtub and shower. The bathroom was far better than many bathrooms I have encountered in hotels in Lagos and Abuja. I would certainly stay here on future visits to Lagos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Accra, Ghana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

It was during the occasion of Otunba (Dr) Mike Adenuga Jnr's daughter's wedding reception at Landmark,Oniru Village,Off Ligali Ayorinde Crescent that I lodged there with my then boss. Upon arrival there after my boss my first checked in,I was met by warm Staff by the reception door and my luggage was fetched and kept in a safe place for me since I had to wait for my boss for payment procedures and all that. The Staff are generally accommodating and quire warm. Nice hotels interior and ambiance and clean rooms with particular attention to detail (state of bathroom,closets and balcony area),refreshing inner lounge with a wide array of both traditional and continental cuisines. Prompt room services and customer care quality as well. I will recommend this hotel any day. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
JHB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the past 4 days and what a pleasant place. the rooms are exquisite. the stuff is friendly and very helpful. the restaurant is nice and the food also well prepared. the hotel is very clean, modern and well run. Being a South African from JHB I battled with the heat and humidity and I found the hotel to be the best part of my trip. Chiqozie and Friday were very pleasant and went out of their way to be accommodating to me and my colleague. I would go back to this hotel any day without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Protea Hotel Victoria Island? Share your experiences!