TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Ideal location, excellent breakfast and spacious rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Lagos Hotel

You added Sheraton Lagos Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Lagos Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way | P.O. Box 21189 Airport Road, Lagos, Nigeria   |
Ranked #32 of 81 Hotels in Lagos
South Africa
“Ideal location, excellent breakfast and spacious rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Location, location and location... famous words in my industry but yet very applicable when it comes to avoiding the chaos and madness which is Lagos traffic! This hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport and ideally located on the main road into Lagos (should you wish to take "that" journey!).

I stayed on the top floor which was very quiet. Large bathrooms (not particularly modern) LCD TV withe usual TV fare (BBC World, CNN and a number of South African TV channels including sports). Breakfast downstairs was excellent with such a wide choice. Friendly staff. Did not try the bar (which I have promised to do next time around!).

Usual Sheraton pricing for Africa. There may be more "chique" hotels around but the location allowed me to "destress" knowing I would not have to face the wrath of Lagos downtown traffic!

Room Tip: Top floor away from the fornt is probably the way to go, although the hotel is set quite some distan...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear TravellingTVProducer,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Lagos Hotel, and thank you for taking out time to write about us. we look forward to having you with us soon.

Warm Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
West Midlands, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I visited this hotel on business and I was greeted by friendly, helpful staff who assisted with my luggage and welcomed me to the hotel by holding the door open for me. The lobby area is open plan and consists of a large seating area with a few bars located around the perimeter. The temperate inside reaches high figures and there is definitely a lack of air conditioning in the building in communal areas resulting in most places giving off a humid, sweaty, damp aroma.

My room was adequate in its loosest term. Irritating faux wooden flooring covering the entire room which meant that every footstep could be heard from the rooms either side of me by those guests wearing shoes. The bed linen was not clean, crisp and fresh smelling. Quite the opposite! The bathroom has a very powerful shower with three speed settings which was a welcome relief, and the water did not appear to be as brown and murky as it had been on previous visits to this hotel. The toilet bowl had seen better days and was covered in brown water stains which was not easy on the eye at all.

My room had a fridge which was utilised fully, and the air conditioning inside the room worked very well, keeping the room at a constant ambient temperature. Most of the electricity sockets are UK plugs which means there is no need for an adaptor for British visitors and the internet is free in room and in the lobby and is actually quite decent.

The room looked out onto the pool area which was very nice and it was full of people dining on the patio, swimming and sunbathing. They have live music on during the evening which ended at around 10pm.

One point to mention regarding the quality of amenities such as irons and kettles etc. The hairdryer is attached to the wall in the bathroom and it seemed to overheat after around twenty seconds and cut off again and again, possibly due to the power supply being a bit hit and miss? The kettle didn't seem to be too clean and the iron was on for approximately three minutes before I could smell burning plastic. Upon inspection I realised that the plug had melted onto the wall whilst still plugged in and after using a towel to remove it I decided that it was best to leave all electrical items well alone! I think the words 'old' and 'seen better days' spring to mind.

Obviously if you take this hotel for what it is then you will have a bearable stay, but there are still many things that could be done to renovate and improve the accommodation. Air conditioning in the lobby needs to be improved and the rooms could do with a bit more attention, but the staff are on the whole very friendly and more than helpful.

Dear ThatMrRobinson,

We are deeply sorry you feel this way about us, we want you to know that we look forward to having you when next you visit Nigeria so we can make it up to you, please accept our sincere apology.

with best regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My Virgin plane developed 'technical issues' (ie broke down) so they put me up in the Sheraton for the day. Breakfast was fine, the pool was nice (pity about the thumping generator, but hey this is Nigeria) but the hotel interior is looking really tired. The carpets are threadbare, the decor and furnishings are faded and worn out. If Sheraton closed this place for a few months and refurbished the place it would be a great hotel, but for now stay elsewhere.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Jonathan L,

Thanks for commenting, we are currently planning our renovation which will soon be finalised as we apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Best Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This property is simp,y Sheraton with a sense of humour, I mean I cannot understand how they can honestly with really dignity place the "Sheraton" name onto this hotel if they are not just having a big joke with us all because this place is just horrific!!!!

On our arrival we discovered that there would be no air conditioning available as they where doing something with the solar panels, however what we didn't know was that there would be no power at all! No light in the rooms or corridors, no fans, NO FIRE WARNING SYSTEMS ETC ETC ETC! The hotel manager was refusing to budge on relocating us to a suitable alternative.

Eventualky when we did return after these problems where resolved we returned to a grotty hotel. The newly white painted bathrooms had dirty hand marks above the toilets and the tiles floors which should have been white now had black marks all over. About the only improvements in the room over previous visits was the new shower head and the TV which had an adequate number of channels, also the free wifi in the room was acceptable.

I ordered a pizza for room service and it was simply put,,,,disgusting!!!!! I ate half of it only because I was starving but if I ate any more I fear it would have been thrown up. Ordering it over the phone was an event as the person who took the order not only sounded disinterested but also rather aggressive.

I could not wait to get out of this place. There are so many newer and better hotels in Lagos now and it's time they received some recognition!!!!

Dear Irishstandards,

In understanding of the concerns stated by you, we sincerely apologize if your stay was not a Sheraton feel. We are sorry not to have had an opportunity to meet with you and make amends during your stay. Please feel free to connect more with us at: bcguest.00445@sheraton.com

Best Regards,
edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of years back and was not impressed. Recently returned with work and my company had paid for the room. Who is managing this hotel? How dare the Sheraton group put their name to it! All the public areas I encountered were dated and grubby. My room had a layer of dust over the furniture. The bathroom was shocking. Chipped tiles on the floor and walls. Stains on the floor tiles that I dread to think what they were. The water was brown even after the shower was left to run for ten minutes. (See photo). Extremely overpriced food and drink menu. The Italian cafe served something that resembled a pizza but left me with stomach cramps and frequent visits to the toilet! The bar was lively as I think a few airline crews stay here. On checking out I heard a woman complaining about being bitten by bedbugs! To sum up I found this to be a hellhole and hope I never ever have to return. It's beyond belief that a hotel of this standard bearing the Sheraton name even exists. A DISGRACE!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear EdinburghGraemekidd,

As it relates to all concerns noted by you, we do apologize if you feel your experience was not reflective of a Sheraton.
We regret that your impression of the hotel was not positive, thus spiraling other concerns. I am sorry not to have had the opportunity to meet with you in order to address these issues during your stay. Feel free to contact us at: bcguest.00445@sheraton.com.

With kind regards.
Cairo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

No electricity meant we had to climb the stairs to the 5th floor for 3 days!!! Not to mention that the AC was out most of the time!!! I was charged for devices I didn't receive and when asked for the manager, no one showed up for 30 min and I had to catch a flight!

• Stayed March 2013
GeneralManagerSLH, Manager at Sheraton Lagos Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Egyptian_Couple,

We apologise for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay due to the fluctuating electricity. All has been resolved. We hope to make your next stay more comfortable when next you visit us. Thank you so much and best regards,
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is not too far from the airport which is good as Lagos traffic can be a real pain, which is its only real plus point. It is extremely expensive, for what you get - an old room which was none too clean. The common parts were similarly outdated. The area by the pool is not too bad. There are a number of restaurants and the food is ok - pricey but ok.

Checking in and out took much longer than it should have done. When I tried to check out I was sent upstairs to the "club" level as the main reception desk was in total chaos. Despite being the only customer on the club level it took 30 mins to check out - mostly because the guy behind the desk kept answering the phone and did not seem to know what he was doing.

On check in it took the clerk three goes to get my key to work each necessitating a trip to the room to find that the key would not work followed by a return to the front desk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mrbiffo,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay as we apologise for the discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. We recently had a down time on electricity which might have caused re-programming your electronic key severally. We are fully back to normal and we hope to make your next stay more stress-free. Thanks a lot and have a great day.

Been to Sheraton Lagos Hotel? Share your experiences!